Interesting quote by Mike Fields...."Give Me a team of five guards....

In all honesty, I cant see these five players beating Scott Co. with the way they are playing right now. Nobody on the floor can guard Richie Phares and they are all very skilled with great size. This team would definitely make some noise, but I think this is the team that would give them some problems. I have seen Station, who is basically a 5 guard team anyway because Combs doesnt have great size. I have seen Mason Co., but I have not yet seen Catholic, so I cant speak to them. I just feel like Scott Co. would be able to handle this group of five with their size and athleticism.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What strong post presence did UK have in 1996 or the Bulls in their heyday?

Horace Grant for the Bulls. They also had the greatest player ever on that team, which doesnt always require a big man. I dont think we could say any of the guys in KY this year are the greatest ever in the state.

On that UK team, when Antoine Walker went to the post he could score at will. He didnt always want to go down there, but when he did he was money. They also had a couple of pretty solid options in McCarty and Pope. Another bad example b/c that could be one of the most talented teams in college basketball history, 1 thru 10.

What strong post presence did UK have in 1996 or the Bulls in their heyday?

Alright, of course your going to find exceptions. And, to be honest, the more I think about it is less applicable at the high school level. But in general, especially recently (see NBA champions- Spurs, Heat, Lakers, see NCAA champions Florida, UCONN, UNC) but not limited to (Showtime Lakers, Wooden's Bruins) a big guy is the key to greatness.

I'm not disagreeing with you that PG's are important. I'm arguing that a big guy is the final piece to greatness. Are you going to say that you prefer to have no big guy on your team?

Alright, of course your going to find exceptions. And, to be honest, the more I think about it is less applicable at the high school level. But in general, especially recently (see NBA champions- Spurs, Heat, Lakers, see NCAA champions Florida, UCONN, UNC) but not limited to (Showtime Lakers, Wooden's Bruins) a big guy is the key to greatness.

I'm not disagreeing with you that PG's are important. I'm arguing that a big guy is the final piece to greatness. Are you going to say that you prefer to have no big guy on your team?

I will agree that in college and Pro basketball it is more important to have a post player but in HS basketball you can get by without one. would you be better with one? YES but you don't have to have a post presence in HS ball to win BUT you have to a solid PG to win.

Horace Grant for the Bulls. They also had the greatest player ever on that team, which doesnt always require a big man. I dont think we could say any of the guys in KY this year are the greatest ever in the state.

On that UK team, when Antoine Walker went to the post he could score at will. He didnt always want to go down there, but when he did he was money. They also had a couple of pretty solid options in McCarty and Pope. Another bad example b/c that could be one of the most talented teams in college basketball history, 1 thru 10.

Really two bad examples by me but Horace Grant was a role player a good one at that but a great post player.

UK could have beat anybody with that group but again they did not have a strong post player. Mark Pope? he was average at best. McCarty, played more on the perimeter as did Walker.

Doesn't surprise me that he left Ferguson 28ppg of Elliott off the list. One he is not a senior, but I doubt he make his list next year. Best shooter in the State of Kentucky with the same range as Lofton. Against Raceland he hit a trey from 31 feet and consistently hits them from 25-27 feet. By the way, the 31 footer was not an end of quarter shot. It was with about 3 minutes left in the 3d quarter. He was a whole lot closer to half court than the three point line. He has incredible range on his jumper, beautiful form and rotation, and arch that draws rain sometimes!!!

And yes, I have seen Mack, Sloane, and Henderson play. Have not seen the kid from Barren.

Keep Dreaming:thumb:

I agree !

Lofton has someone on his jersey his first step past half court. As soon as he puts the ball on the floor he gets doubled.

Its a little bit harder to hit shots when gaurded like this, let alone actually be able to get a shot off.

The kid from Elliot has some proving to do to be included with Lofton.

Ferguson is obviously a talented player who can fill it up. Maybe he has Lofton's range, maybe not.

The test will come when he hits a game-tying shot from 40 feet against a Lexington Catholic, or a game-tying 27-footer with time running out to tie the game in the Sweet 16, or a game-winner falling out of bounds in the NCAA tournament The great ones do it on the big stage.

And Elliott County stands a good chance of getting on that stage this year.

I think everyone is making valid points. Of course everyone wants to have a good point guard and everyone wants to have a good post player or inside presence, but if you had to be without one or the other, I think you have no chance of winning at any level without a good point guard, and although it is extra tough, you still have a chance of being very successful without a really good inside player. I have coached for a long time, and have won several state chamipionships (in Florida), but my most miserable years were years I did not have a good point guard. Even on some of my best teams I didn't have much of an inside presence. I would love to have both, but if I was forced to make a choice, give me guards.

On any level huh?

Can you even remember the names of the point guards on the teams that Shaq and Kobe won titles with the Lakers? How about the Bulls in the Jordan years? Who was the point guard on the Lofton championship team?

Now this one is a serious question, who was the point guard on the Warren Central team that won it all with Dewalt, Maresca, etc.