Interesting quote by Mike Fields...."Give Me a team of five guards....

"Give me a team of five guards — Shelvin Mack of Bryan Station, Landon Slone of Paintsville, Michael Sparks of Tates Creek, Lee Hubbard of Barren County (shown at left) and Arrez Henderson of Holmes — and I’d like my chances of winning the state title. The team might be under-sized, but it couldn’t be matched in passion, smarts and toughness."

-Mike Fields Lexington Herald Leader

Just figured I'd post this and see what kind of response it gets.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a big man's game. If you have a dominant big man you will win more often than if you have dominant guards. Reason: higher percentage shots, fewer shot attempts for the other team, and fewer high percentage shots for the other team. Unfair? Absolutely. Fact? Absolutely.

It's a big man's game. If you have a dominant big man you will win more often than if you have dominant guards. Reason: higher percentage shots, fewer shot attempts for the other team, and fewer high percentage shots for the other team. Unfair? Absolutely. Fact? Absolutely.

Wouldnt a Guard be more valuable then a Big man, because a good guard is exchanging Three pt shots for Two pt shots that a big man would make. Even if they shoot a lower percentage it still adds up for more. You see more guards averaging a lot of pts per game, more than you do a big man. Also, most big men dont play the full game, where a Guard can last a whole game.

Just my observation.

With a dominant big guy but no guards, your team will go nowhere.

With a dominant guard but no big guys, your team will be good, but not great.

Guards are necessary, but a big guy is what puts a team over the top- look at the the past few NBA champions. Kobe, Lebron, and Nash will never win without a POST prescence. On the contrary, if you take out Tony Parker from the Spurs, I doubt Tim Duncan has as many championships.

Guards would have no problem bringing the ball up court. If the big guys even tried to dribble up court 3 out of 4 times it would be stolen from a guard. They could try throwing over them but most of these guys can jump as high as the big guys. I'd take those 5 any day!!! Of coarse the Arrez five!!!

Guards would have no problem bringing the ball up court. If the big guys even tried to dribble up court 3 out of 4 times it would be stolen from a guard. They could try throwing over them but most of these guys can jump as high as the big guys. I'd take those 5 any day!!! Of coarse the Arrez five!!!

Agreed.

I would take a team full of guards around 6'0 to 6'3 any day of the week. All of the guards that Fields put on his team can take you off the dribble. To me that is a lost art in high school basketball. Just look at the old Clay Co. teams with the Farmer boys. I do not think they started a man over 6'1.

He's lauding those 5 regarding passion, smarts and toughness. In reality, put those five together and they may not mix at all. I doubt that all 5would 'shine'.

In fact, how would they really do if they faced a Patrick Patterson caliber player in the paint? Give Patterson a decent guard and those 5 have their hands more than full.

Having said that, I don't think there is a player of Patterson's caliber playing high school ball in KY this year. (There was last year in WVA though)

Maybe that is Fields real statement....no truly outstanding paint players this year.

Apples and Oranges. Kobe and Shaq.

I'll take him on with my five senior forwards. We won't match their intensity...we will just win.

Darius Miller

Taylor Stewart

Scotty Hopson

Aaron Morris

Nathan Novosel

I'd take this team over the other.

Miller is definatley quick enough and handle's the ball as good as most of the gaurds around. He would run point for this squad.