Huckabee and the Apocolypse

I have stated many times that there is nothing wrong with using your faith to guide you in how you vote, but there is a huge problem with trying to make religion the law of the land. If a Republican gets up and says "I'm against abortion b/c I'm a Christian" then fine. If a Democrat says "My faith in Christ has led me to believe we should provide healthcare for everyone" then OK.

The problem is when a politician says "We need to take America back for Christ," and “I have opponents in this race who do not want to change the Constitution. But I believe it’s a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God. And thats what we need to do is amend the Constitution so it’s in God’s standards rather than trying to change God’s standards so it lines up with some contemporary view of how we treat each other and how we treat the family.”

That kind of rhetoric scares me. And those are both things that Huckster has said.

God said to love your neighbor more than you love yourself. That scares you. Putting the welfare of others in front of your own welfare?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now you and I both know what he meant. Huckster was talking about marriage and abortion and I hope and pray he was just pandering.

The Huck has had no qualms about using his vocation as a minister to get votes. He has had no problem equating environmentalism, to satanism and all homosexuals to pedophiles in a book he co-authored while in Arkansas. He has said America needs to get back to Christ (which being a secular country would require a huge change in the constitution), and he advocates amending the constitution to fit in with his interpretation of the Bible. That would in itself be unconstitutional.

Now you and I both know what he meant. Huckster was talking about marriage and abortion and I hope and pray he was just pandering.

The Huck has had no qualms about using his vocation as a minister to get votes. He has had no problem equating environmentalism, to satanism and all homosexuals to pedophiles in a book he co-authored while in Arkansas. He has said America needs to get back to Christ (which being a secular country would require a huge change in the constitution), and he advocates amending the constitution to fit in with his interpretation of the Bible. That would in itself be unconstitutional.

I would like to see the links to those claims.

My apologies for being cynical, but forgive me for having the feeling that as much election coverage as I have watched, I would have heard something about this before reading it on BGP on January 16, 2008...that just seems like some good ammunition for his opponents not to be using.

That's just my initial thought...

But, I'll echo lbbc and ask for links to those claims. That's all it would take...

My apologies for being cynical, but forgive me for having the feeling that as much election coverage as I have watched, I would have heard something about this before reading it on BGP on January 16, 2008...that just seems like some good ammunition for his opponents not to be using.

That's just my initial thought...

But, I'll echo lbbc and ask for links to those claims. That's all it would take...

Seems very similar to the claims on Obama that have been proven to be untrue. Sent out to throw some mud and hope some believe it and it diminishes the candidate.

Here are some exerpts

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sftrajan/2126522950/

A blog on Huckster by an eastern Ky blogger

http://ekyprogressive.blogster.com/huckabee_equates_gay_necrophilia.html

And from the economist

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2007/12/the_huck_stops_here_1.cfm

Also. Everyone's favorite Gomer Pyle lookalikes ties to Christian Dominionists.

http://www.boxturtlebulletin.com/2008/01/06/1249

Not true. There is a link on here in P & R that Dems are making a concerted effort to bring faith into their campaigns. For the first time, each Dem candidate has a faith advisor to their campaign.

They indicated that each and every Dem candidate is promoting faith and religion in their campaigns.

It is just not getting the national media coverage the Republicans are getting.

It would appear that the national media want to continue to portray the Republican party as being the religious party.

Dems are making concerted efforts to talk about their faith in their campaigns because of how they've been getting killed over the past 10+ years in elections by Republicans who flaunt it, over the concern that mainstream voters have abandoned the Dem party because of a perceived "faith gap." This is only reactive because of the success the GOP has enjoyed by painting themselves as the party of God.

Dems are making concerted efforts to talk about their faith in their campaigns because of how they've been getting killed over the past 10+ years in elections by Republicans who flaunt it, over the concern that mainstream voters have abandoned the Dem party because of a perceived "faith gap." This is only reactive because of the success the GOP has enjoyed by painting themselves as the party of God.
Why are the media not directing religion questions at Democratic candidates, in the same manner as they do Republican candidates?

I think it's because the Democrats haven't used wedge issues in their faith talk. Over the past 15 years or more the Republicans have been using abortion and gays as a way to 1.) convince Christians to be Republicans and 2.) convince Christians to keep voting for them. The wedge issues get people fired up and so the media covers it. Also jerks like Robertson go on national TV and campaign for the GOP and also make stupid comments that get coverage.

I think it's because the Democrats haven't used wedge issues in their faith talk. Over the past 15 years or more the Republicans have been using abortion and gays as a way to 1.) convince Christians to be Republicans and 2.) convince Christians to keep voting for them. The wedge issues get people fired up and so the media covers it. Also jerks like Robertson go on national TV and campaign for the GOP and also make stupid comments that get coverage.
You are probably right. I am sure that the questions that candidates get asked have nothing to do with the fact that 80% of the "national" media correspondents have voted for Democratic presidential candidates in recent elections.

If Democrats are injecting religion into their own campaigns to appeal to religious voters, then they should be grilled by the media on religious topics in equal measure to the Republicans who do the same.

O my to quote Strike3.

The whole take care of the poor debate is firmly grounded in Scripture and faith.

Now onthe last sentence, I won't disagree with you although I wouldn't call him a jerk.

You are probably right. I am sure that the questions that candidates get asked have nothing to do with the fact that 80% of the "national" media correspondents have voted for Democratic presidential candidates in recent elections.

If Democrats are injecting religion into their own campaigns to appeal to religious voters, then they should be grilled by the media on religious topics in equal measure to the Republicans who do the same.

I have a little more faith in the national reporter's journalistic integrity than that.

I have a little more faith in the national reporter's journalistic integrity than that.
I understand. I would probably have a more favorable view of the of national correspondent's "journalistic integrity" if 80% of them had voted for Republicans in the past. When a game is played on one's home turf, fans tend to complain less about the calls of the referees.:D