Pakistan opposition leader Bhutto killed...

UKBLUE1964

Understood.

I'm not talking an invasion of the region, maybe some covert operation...

I feel that an extremist terrorist group is responsible for this assassination...just my feeling.

They have done so in the past and the reprucussions from this assassination does what these groups would want...sending Pakistan into a state of chaos.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bhutto's assassination leaves Pakistan's future — and Musharraf's — in doubt, some experts said. "U.S. policy is in tatters. The administration was relying on Benazir Bhutto's participation in elections to legitimate Musharraf's continued power as president," said Barnett R. Rubin of New York University. "Now Musharraf is finished."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22414361/

Bhutto's assassination leaves Pakistan's future — and Musharraf's — in doubt, some experts said. "U.S. policy is in tatters. The administration was relying on Benazir Bhutto's participation in elections to legitimate Musharraf's continued power as president," said Barnett R. Rubin of New York University. "Now Musharraf is finished."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22414361/

Just another expert saying what he thinks. There's probably another expert who feels to the contrary. And who knows how many experts MSNBC talked to before they got one to say what they wanted. Heck, if you go to Fox you can probably find an expert saying that this mess will work out good for Mushareff.

Interior Ministry spokesman Javed Iqbal Cheema said that on Friday, the government recorded an "intelligence intercept" in which militant leader Baitullah Mehsud "congratulated his people for carrying out this cowardly act."

Cheema described Mehsud as an "Al Qaeda leader" who was also behind the Karachi bomb blast in October against Bhutto that killed more than 140 people.

Bhutto was killed Thursday when a suicide attacker shot at her and then blew himself up as she left a rally in Rawalpindi. Authorities initially said she died from bullet wounds, and a surgeon who treated her said she died from the impact of shrapnel on her skull.

But Cheema said she was killed when she tried to duck back into the vehicle, and the shock waves from the blast knocked her head into a lever attached to the sunroof, fracturing her skull, he said.

Just another expert saying what he thinks. There's probably another expert who feels to the contrary. And who knows how many experts MSNBC talked to before they got one to say what they wanted. Heck, if you go to Fox you can probably find an expert saying that this mess will work out good for Mushareff.

WASHINGTON — The assassination of former Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto has dealt a severe blow to U.S. efforts to restore stability and democracy in a turbulent, nuclear-armed Islamic nation that has been a critical ally in the war on terror.

While not entirely dependent on Bhutto, recent Bush administration policy on Pakistan had focused heavily on promoting reconciliation between the secular opposition leader who has been dogged by corruption allegations and Pakistan's increasingly unpopular president, Pervez Musharraf, ahead of parliamentary elections set for January.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,318687,00.html

At least for a while, I think the U.S. just needs to stay out of this, as well as no government official 9including Bush) commenting on anything concerning Pakistan, including about Musharraf.

Now as I think we should take a wait and see approach, I still thing we need people in there to find out what really is going on, and see what the militant groups, the Talaban and al-Qaeda are up to. The Talaban and al-Qaeda want that country to be unstable so it would be easier for them to move in and take control.

As far as a strike on Pakistan if certain people take control? Yes, we have to weight that option. People are kidding themselves if they think that al-Qaeda and the Talaban would just sit on the nukes.

At least for a while, I think the U.S. just needs to stay out of this, as well as no government official 9including Bush) commenting on anything concerning Pakistan, including about Musharraf.

Now as I think we should take a wait and see approach, I still thing we need people in there to find out what really is going on, and see what the militant groups, the Talaban and al-Qaeda are up to. The Talaban and al-Qaeda want that country to be unstable so it would be easier for them to move in and take control.

As far as a strike on Pakistan if certain people take control? Yes, we have to weight that option. People are kidding themselves if they think that al-Qaeda and the Talaban would just sit on the nukes.

And if you don't disable all the nukes in that strike what do you think they will do with the ones that survive? One idea (waiting) is maybe at worst 10 % effective but the other (a strike) will lead to an almost 100% chance of a nuke going off if and when one survives. It's not like they have just one missle sight and I think they would be well aware of any incoming build up to surgically take out their sights and might launch them just out of the threat.

And if you don't diable all the nukes in that strike what do you think they will do with the ones that survive? One idea (waiting) is maybe at worst 10 % effective but the other (a strike) will lead to an almost 100% chance of a nuke going off if and when one survives. It's not like they have just one missle sight and I think they would be well aware of any incoming build up to surgically take out their sights and might launch them just out of the threat.
If we wait until Pakistan's government falls into the hands of the jihadists, there is nearly a 100% chance of a nuke being used against US citizens, either here or overseas.

My fear is that the politicization of US national security will paralyze whichever party is in power and action will be delayed until it is too late. The best thing that our politicians can do at this point is to shut up and allow the Bush Administration to back the Musharaff government to the hilt and leave it up to him to decide when and if democratic elections should be held.

I am really surprised at Hillary Clinton's irresponsible demand for an international investigation. I thought that she would be a little bit more responsible than her two leading challengers.

If we wait until Pakistan's government falls into the hands of the jihadists, there is nearly a 100% chance of a nuke being used against US citizens, either here or overseas.

My fear is that the politicization of US national security will paralyze whichever party is in power and action will be delayed until it is too late. The best thing that our politicians can do at this point is to shut up and allow the Bush Administration to back the Musharaff government to the hilt and leave it up to him to decide when and if democratic elections should be held.

I am really surprised at Hillary Clinton's irresponsible demand for an international investigation. I thought that she would be a little bit more responsible than her two leading challengers.

I think what you say makes sense. My point was the quick notion of some of pre-emptive strikes being the only option. It's sounds good on paper and XBox but it's a lot harder in the real world.

I think what you say makes sense. My point was the quick notion of some of pre-emptive strikes being the only option. It's sounds good on paper and XBox but it's a lot harder in the real world.
I agree that early preemptive strikes would be a mistake but the time for preemptive strikes may arrive quickly if Musharraf falls. Reducing the number of nukes that are likely to be detonated against American targets may become the only logical course of action and that decision needs to be made based by counting potential American corpses and not by polls and focus groups.

Since I haven't worked around nuclear weapons in a while, lol, I am not sure how hard it is to reprogram the weapons for new targets. I am sure most of their nukes are pointed right at India. Plus I am not sure what the range of their nukes are anyway. We just can't give them the chance to reprogram them.

Actually I don't think the Talaban and al-Qaeda or any of the radical groups are concerned too much on where these weapons are pointed, they just know if they "let them fly", that the US will get involved, which they want, and that is will send everything into chaos. You can't reason with these people.

As I stated before, I think everyone ion government need to keep their mouths shut and just let things play out, including Bush. Bush should not comment on Musharaff or the current government. Do you actually think having Bush back Musharaff helps against these radical groups? IMO it hurts, as they will think he is just a puppet of Bush. We just need to stay out of it for now, and not say a word, but at the same time gather intelligence on what is going on there that we may need to know about.