Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is Carter ready to contribute at UK?

Featured Replies

By himself no, but in 16 minutes of action versus Houston, he scored 6 points and had 4 rebounds. And that was with him being the only big man on the floor.

 

Put Patrick out there with him to help in the lane and on the boards and maybe his contribution goes up even more.

 

Here is Billy G on Jared.

 

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071220/SPT0104/712200350/-1/all

 

"He's been coming every single day to try to get better in practice," Gillispie said. "I've been telling him the last four, five or six practices, 'Hang in there, hang in there, hang in there. Your time is about to come.'

 

Gillispie often complained early in the year that Carter appeared timid and afraid of re-injury.

 

"I haven't seen anything like that in a long time, but it has taken a while," Gillispie said. "I think he's playing with more confidence, and I think (the Houston game) should help him."

 

 

At this time of the year, maybe UK needs to see one of those commercials and for their inside help...

 

Go To JARED

  • Replies 72
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope he can contribute because we need another big man to help Patterson!

  • Author
I hope he can contribute because we need another big man to help Patterson!

 

I was encouraged by his play at Houston. He keeps developing and he should have a good enough touch to score 6-8 points per game and grab 6-7 rebounds per game.

 

Add Patterson back in the mix.

Add Meeks back in the mix.

 

Now you start, Bradley, Meeks, Porter, Patterson and Carter (with contributing the above) and you have the makings of a decent starting group.

 

Crawford off the bench for scoring. Coury/Stephenson for some post minutes.

 

A rotation of 8 that could finish in the top 2-3 of their division.

It would be great if he could contribute. He had flashes of being a capable contributor against Houston. If he could be effective enough, to take inside pressure off PP it would be a tramendous help to the Cats.

 

I am excited to see if he can be effective in these three lesser team matchups and maybe work his way into a prominent role heading into conference play.

I was encouraged by his play at Houston. He keeps developing and he should have a good enough touch to score 6-8 points per game and grab 6-7 rebounds per game.

 

Add Patterson back in the mix.

Add Meeks back in the mix.

 

Now you start, Bradley, Meeks, Porter, Patterson and Carter (with contributing the above) and you have the makings of a decent starting group.

 

Crawford off the bench for scoring. Coury/Stephenson for some post minutes.

 

A rotation of 8 that could finish in the top 2-3 of their division.

 

 

Crawford over Porter!

I was encouraged by his play at Houston. He keeps developing and he should have a good enough touch to score 6-8 points per game and grab 6-7 rebounds per game.

 

Add Patterson back in the mix.

Add Meeks back in the mix.

 

Now you start, Bradley, Meeks, Porter, Patterson and Carter (with contributing the above) and you have the makings of a decent starting group.

 

Crawford off the bench for scoring. Coury/Stephenson for some post minutes.

 

A rotation of 8 that could finish in the top 2-3 of their division.

 

The optimist in me would hope for Jasper and Meeks to return healthy, for guys like Carter and Stevenson to develop enough to contribute and take some pressure off Patterson...

 

We could start...

 

1 - Jasper

2 - Bradley

3 - Meeks

4 - Patterson

5 - Carter

 

With a bench made up of an offensive player (Crawford), a big man (Stevenson), a 1 or 2 guard (Porter) and a couple of versatile swing types in Harris and Stewart. If everything came together just right, that team could be pretty good. But, that's asking a lot...and it's highly unlikely.

 

As of now, I'd be satisfied to just have a healthy roster. :lol:

While I do not think Jared will be a world beater, he may be able to alleviate some of the void at the 5 spot. He still needs to develop some strength, but I think most importantly he needs to develop a little more confidence, which will hopefully come through more minutes.

 

There is more "upside" to him than with Stevenson and/or Coury, imo.

  • Author
Crawford over Porter!

 

I disagree.

 

Porter is a role player to get the ball to the scorers and hit the occassional open 3.

 

The starters don't need another gun to take shots away from the players who should be doing the shooting Meeks and Patterson.

 

Who do you want TAKING the shots, Meeks and Patterson OR Crawford?

 

If he is not the scorer, he doesn't help you in any other fashion. Can't play defense. Horrible passer either because he can't or won't. Doesn't rebound. Not a good ball handler. Worse McD's AA I think I have ever seen.

 

He comes in for Meeks when Meeks needs a break.

  • Author
The optimist in me would hope for Jasper and Meeks to return healthy, for guys like Carter and Stevenson to develop enough to contribute and take some pressure off Patterson...

 

We could start...

 

1 - Jasper

2 - Bradley

3 - Meeks

4 - Patterson

5 - Carter

 

With a bench made up of an offensive player (Crawford), a big man (Stevenson), a 1 or 2 guard (Porter) and a couple of versatile swing types in Harris and Stewart. If everything came together just right, that team could be pretty good. But, that's asking a lot...and it's highly unlikely.

 

As of now, I'd be satisfied to just have a healthy roster. :lol:

 

I don't disagree with Jasper but there has been no indication that he is close to returning, so I left him out of the equation.

Crawford over Porter!

 

With Meeks and Bradley in there with him, he won't have to handle the ball and he can do one of the things...well, the only thing he is good at---catch and shoot. I like Crawford off of the bench.

On Carter, I agree that, if healthy, he can contribute 6 pts and 6 rebs each night. It's not a lot but would help easy the load on the others AND get some others back into the position they should be playing (i.e. Patterson at the 4/PF).

Personally I still think he could best help the team by leaving and freeing up a scholly. He'll get pushed around like a little kid in SEC play. He's not very strong, and he's timid. That's a bad combination.

  • Author
Personally I still think he could best help the team by leaving and freeing up a scholly. He'll get pushed around like a little kid in SEC play. He's not very strong, and he's timid. That's a bad combination.

From the article,

It wasn't just on Internet message boards. It wasn't limited to talk-radio speculation.

 

The transfer conjecture reached University of Kentucky center Jared Carter personally.

 

"I heard it," Carter said Tuesday, after UK's 83-69 loss to Houston at Hofheinz Pavilion. "Everywhere I went, people said, 'Are you transferring here? Are you transferring there?' Every day it was a different school."

 

For the record, the 7-foot-2 Carter said, he never considered leaving the Wildcats.

 

"I just love being here at Kentucky," he said. "I wouldn't want to play anywhere else."

I disagree.

 

Porter is a role player to get the ball to the scorers and hit the occassional open 3.

 

The starters don't need another gun to take shots away from the players who should be doing the shooting Meeks and Patterson.

 

Who do you want TAKING the shots, Meeks and Patterson OR Crawford?

 

If he is not the scorer, he doesn't help you in any other fashion. Can't play defense. Horrible passer either because he can't or won't. Doesn't rebound. Not a good ball handler. Worse McD's AA I think I have ever seen.

 

He comes in for Meeks when Meeks needs a break.

 

 

You must have missed Clarance Tillman's career.

He's not very strong, and he's timid.

 

I didnt see that quite as much against Houston. He, like coach and the team, needs time. If he gets enough time and is effective over these next three games and especially if he mix it up against Louisville - the confidence should be there.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.