Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is Carter ready to contribute at UK?

Featured Replies

  • Author
You must have missed Clarance Tillman's career.

 

It sounds like I should know the name and it vaguely rings a bell. Who is he?

  • Replies 72
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I disagree.

 

Porter is a role player to get the ball to the scorers and hit the occassional open 3.

 

The starters don't need another gun to take shots away from the players who should be doing the shooting Meeks and Patterson.

 

Who do you want TAKING the shots, Meeks and Patterson OR Crawford?

 

If he is not the scorer, he doesn't help you in any other fashion. Can't play defense. Horrible passer either because he can't or won't. Doesn't rebound. Not a good ball handler. Worse McD's AA I think I have ever seen.

 

He comes in for Meeks when Meeks needs a break.

 

I agree with you that he was a huge flop and he is just not very good - but I cant fathom that the team would be better off with Porter on the floor than Crawford. I see your poing that he will take shots away from Meeks and Patterson and I think that the team will be eons better when hes done but Porter doesnt deserve to be the 5th string guard on this team much less starting. He is past bad, he is utterly useless.

I still wasn't too impressed by his last game. (I've been a Carter supporter too, so I'm not just putting him down)

 

I would like to see him in the game with Patterson though.

I disagree.

 

Porter is a role player to get the ball to the scorers and hit the occassional open 3.

 

The starters don't need another gun to take shots away from the players who should be doing the shooting Meeks and Patterson.

 

Who do you want TAKING the shots, Meeks and Patterson OR Crawford?

 

If he is not the scorer, he doesn't help you in any other fashion. Can't play defense. Horrible passer either because he can't or won't. Doesn't rebound. Not a good ball handler. Worse McD's AA I think I have ever seen.

 

He comes in for Meeks when Meeks needs a break.

 

 

Why not start Crawford?

 

Is it because he leads all players (excluding big men) in FG% at 45%?

Is it because he is leading the team in trips to the foul line?

Or is it because he's only making 85% of those foul shots?

Is it because he's tied for 2nd on the team in rebounds per game behind only Patrick Patterson?

Is it because he's the team's leading scorer at 18.2 per game?

 

I share the same frustrations that many have with Joe Crawford. BUT, he has been producing! Sure, at times he takes some bad shots, but in all honesty, if he wasn't going to take them then Ramel Bradley was.

 

Joe Crawford is far from the reason for our poor play all year. He does turn the ball over too much (leads the team in turnovers with 23), but a lot of that is because he's trying to do too much. Also, as most of us already know, Joe Crawford will never be mistaken for a point guard, which he's had to play at times this season.

 

Joe Crawford isn't the problem with UK basketball, as much as BCG might make it seem. If anything, he has been our most consistent player (outside of Patterson) all season. And he gets rewarded by sitting on the bench? Doesn't make much sense to me.

 

It seems odd to me.

 

Porter is a role player to get the ball to the scorers and hit the occassional open 3.

 

If he is not the scorer, he doesn't help you in any other fashion. Can't play defense. Horrible passer either because he can't or won't. Doesn't rebound. Not a good ball handler. Worse McD's AA I think I have ever seen.

 

 

You've described Porter perfectly in both paragraphs above. Undoubtedly, he's a role player. So, let's define his role and let him play. In the right situations, I think Porter can be effective; however, that role should not have ANYTHING to do with the starting lineup. Sure, he can hit the occassional open 3. But for every "occassional 3" that Michael Porter hits in the starting lineup, he'll throw up another airball or turn the ball over.

 

Your last paragraph, quoted above, describes Michael Porter to a T. He's not a scorer, and he sure can't play defense. I don't think he's a horrible passer, but his inability to handle the ball under pressure limits what he can do offensively. And he's not a great shooter.

 

Porter needs a limited role - one that will allow him to succeed.

It sounds like I should know the name and it vaguely rings a bell. Who is he?

 

Played here for the 78-79 season before transferring to Rutgers. He had a few points and rebounds a game. It could have been worse. I would put Crawford as worse than him.

  • Author
I still wasn't too impressed by his last game. (I've been a Carter supporter too, so I'm not just putting him down)

 

I would like to see him in the game with Patterson though.

 

That's the key. As the main post player, not sure he is the guy. But the main defensive post player of the opponent is going to be on Patterson, NOT Carter. Doubleteams will be going to Patterson and NOT Carter leaving him free to cut to the basket for lobs from Patterson.

 

Adding in Meeks who is a real threat from the outside, now you have a guard out there that the opponent cannot double down off of.

 

So, you have Patterson drawing double teams, Meeks person out of the lane keeping eye on him and you have a lane opening up for drives from the guards and cuts by Carter or dives down the lane for offensive rebounds for Carter.

For further proof, why don't we take a more in-depth look at some stats.

 

Joe Crawford:

31.7 Minutes per game

46% from the field

32% from behind the arc

84.8% from the charity stripe

18.2 points per game

4.1 rebounds per game (Total of 8 offensive, 29 defensive)

19 assists to 23 turnovers

 

Michael Porter:

24 Minutes per game

3.1 points per game

33% from the field

50% from behind the arc (8/16)

100% from the line (Only 2/2)

2.2 rebounds per game (Total of 4 offensive & 16 defensive rebounds)

22 assists to 21 turnovers

For further proof, why don't we take a more in-depth look at some stats.

 

Joe Crawford:

31.7 Minutes per game

46% from the field

32% from behind the arc

84.8% from the charity stripe

18.2 points per game

4.1 rebounds per game (Total of 8 offensive, 29 defensive)

19 assists to 23 turnovers

 

Michael Porter:

24 Minutes per game

3.1 points per game

33% from the field

50% from behind the arc (8/16)

100% from the line (Only 2/2)

2.2 rebounds per game (Total of 4 offensive & 16 defensive rebounds)

22 assists to 21 turnovers

 

choosing the lesser of two evils really

  • Author
Why not start Crawford?

 

Is it because he leads all players (excluding big men) in FG% at 45%?

Is it because he is leading the team in trips to the foul line?

Or is it because he's only making 85% of those foul shots?

Is it because he's tied for 2nd on the team in rebounds per game behind only Patrick Patterson?

Is it because he's the team's leading scorer at 18.2 per game?

 

I share the same frustrations that many have with Joe Crawford. BUT, he has been producing! Sure, at times he takes some bad shots, but in all honesty, if he wasn't going to take them then Ramel Bradley was.

 

Joe Crawford is far from the reason for our poor play all year. He does turn the ball over too much (leads the team in turnovers with 23), but a lot of that is because he's trying to do too much. Also, as most of us already know, Joe Crawford will never be mistaken for a point guard, which he's had to play at times this season.

 

Joe Crawford isn't the problem with UK basketball, as much as BCG might make it seem. If anything, he has been our most consistent player (outside of Patterson) all season. And he gets rewarded by sitting on the bench? Doesn't make much sense to me.

 

It seems odd to me.

 

 

 

 

Don't disagree with what you said above EXCEPT one exception. Meeks is back. I want Meeks getting those scoring opportunities and not Crawford. I think Meeks will make more of his opportunities than Crawford.

 

PURE conjecture on my part, but if Crawford ain't getting to shoot he ain't producing for UK in other facets of the game.

 

Porter is out there to fill a spot and give the ball to the players that are UK's scorers. Crawford is not going to play that role.

 

He is going to be the scorer when Meeks goes to the bench. A Gino (Spurs) type player.

  • Author
For further proof, why don't we take a more in-depth look at some stats.

 

Joe Crawford:

31.7 Minutes per game

46% from the field

32% from behind the arc

84.8% from the charity stripe

18.2 points per game

4.1 rebounds per game (Total of 8 offensive, 29 defensive)

19 assists to 23 turnovers

 

Michael Porter:

24 Minutes per game

3.1 points per game

33% from the field

50% from behind the arc (8/16)

100% from the line (Only 2/2)

2.2 rebounds per game (Total of 4 offensive & 16 defensive rebounds)

22 assists to 21 turnovers

 

Again, key point is that Meeks is back. Starting Porter gives shots to Meeks. Starting Crawford gives shots to Meeks.

 

AND, it is telling that when UAB had a player going off scoring wise, you would think the coach would put his BEST defender on him. Who was it? Porter.

 

Did he stop him? No. But in BG's eyes, Porter was his best option.

 

BG seems to be a defensive coach. And Crawford does not seem to be of the defensive mindset.

 

Porter is out there to fill a spot and give the ball to the players that are UK's scorers. Crawford is not going to play that role.

 

.

 

Yeah, but can Porter play that role? The only good play as a guard I have seen him make was the running down the baseline - pass out to the hot meeks who drained a three.

 

I dont like Crawford. I dont like Porter more.

  • Author
Yeah, but can Porter play that role? The only good play as a guard I have seen him make was the running down the baseline - pass out to the hot meeks who drained a three.

 

I dont like Crawford. I dont like Porter more.

 

See my defensive point on the post above yours.

I didnt see that quite as much against Houston. He, like coach and the team, needs time. If he gets enough time and is effective over these next three games and especially if he mix it up against Louisville - the confidence should be there.

 

I still wasn't too impressed by his last game. (I've been a Carter supporter too, so I'm not just putting him down)

 

I would like to see him in the game with Patterson though.

 

I hope you guys are right. I will cheer for him everytime he steps on the court because he wears blue, and hope he does well for himself and the Cats. I just don't see it happening very often. He's a Junior and there's not been much progress.

I hope you guys are right. I will cheer for him everytime he steps on the court because he wears blue, and hope he does well for himself and the Cats. I just don't see it happening very often. He's a Junior and there's not been much progress.

 

It's not like he's a junior who has really gotten to play... Keep in mind he sat a year with an injury...

For further proof, why don't we take a more in-depth look at some stats.

 

Joe Crawford:

31.7 Minutes per game

46% from the field

32% from behind the arc

84.8% from the charity stripe

18.2 points per game

4.1 rebounds per game (Total of 8 offensive, 29 defensive)

19 assists to 23 turnovers

 

Michael Porter:

24 Minutes per game

3.1 points per game

33% from the field

50% from behind the arc (8/16)

100% from the line (Only 2/2)

2.2 rebounds per game (Total of 4 offensive & 16 defensive rebounds)

22 assists to 21 turnovers

 

Which proves LBBC's and my point. Porter does ONE thing--shoot. I'd say 50% from behind the arc is pretty good. If you have Bradley and Meeks penetrating and kicking out to him or teams doubling down on Patterson, then he will be open for some threes. He fits the spot perfectly. If you have 4 scorers, you don't want or need all 4 of them on the floor at the same time. I like the "instant offense" off of the bench in Crawford.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.