St. Patrick 66 St. Henry 59

Great game to both teams, but I can see why there was so many free throw attempted. Bellevue traveled down there last year and the stripes called foul after foul all game on both teams.. I believed 3 Bellevue players fouled out and one St Pat player.. It seems like other than NKY the zeb's don't let any physical play happen...

That Bellevue game was crazy, as was this one.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great game to both teams, but I can see why there was so many free throw attempted. Bellevue traveled down there last year and the stripes called foul after foul all game on both teams.. I believed 3 Bellevue players fouled out and one St Pat player.. It seems like other than NKY the zeb's don't let any physical play happen...[/QUOTE]

Actually the 10th may be one of the most physical regions in the State.

Everyone knows that game could have went the other way, maybe so and maybe not. We don't know what impact Schmidt would have had for totally certain. Everyone also should know once you get to the Sweet 16, to advance a little luck has to be on your side, a ball bouncing the right way, a call here and there whether its right or wrong, but to win it you have to put everything together. That is what the Royals did, along with so many other State Champions.

First off, congrats to the Saints. Big win by a good team. AS it was stated earlier, beating any St. Henry team is a good win as they are well-coached, play hard the entire game, and never back down. Way to go. :thumb:

Secondly, not to hijack the thread, but I too was at the 2003 Sweet Sixteen tourny and I have to say that I disagree with with Pressrow's comments above. IMHumbleO, the first round contest between the Crusaders and Mason Co was CLEARLY St. Henry's to lose. The Crusaders tied or won 3 of the 4 quarters, had a 4 pt lead at half and should have had two free throws at the end of regulation as a Mason Co. player, with several seconds left on the clock, decided to pick up the ball and play keep away from a St. Henry player and traveling was never called. Down by 2, those free throws might have made a difference.

If Michael Schmidt does not go down with a leg injury at the end of the 1st half, St. Henry is the 2003 State Champ. The press of the Crusaders had the Royals dazed and frustrated. All-world players Lofton and Grutza were held to a COMBINED 19 pts in that game on 8/17 shooting.

Bottom-line is that Mason Co. won by 2 points and they had to work their tails off against a seriously depleted team whose emotional leader was seriously injured and came back near the end of the third quarter, only half the player he was before he went out. (3rd quarter, Mason outscored the Crusaders 25-14). In contrast, Mason Co. went on to win their next 3 tournament games by an average of over 15 points...each. :irked:

Sorry...had to get that off my chest. St. Henry was the better team and it sickened me to see it end because of an injury. That team and that coach deserved better.

-CardinalsFan

First off, congrats to the Saints. Big win by a good team. AS it was stated earlier, beating any St. Henry team is a good win as they are well-coached, play hard the entire game, and never back down. Way to go. :thumb:

Secondly, not to hijack the thread, but I too was at the 2003 Sweet Sixteen tourny and I have to say that I disagree with with Pressrow's comments above. IMHumbleO, the first round contest between the Crusaders and Mason Co was CLEARLY St. Henry's to lose. The Crusaders tied or won 3 of the 4 quarters, had a 4 pt lead at half and should have had two free throws at the end of regulation as a Mason Co. player, with several seconds left on the clock, decided to pick up the ball and play keep away from a St. Henry player and traveling was never called. Down by 2, those free throws might have made a difference.

If Michael Schmidt does not go down with a leg injury at the end of the 1st half, St. Henry is the 2003 State Champ. The press of the Crusaders had the Royals dazed and frustrated. All-world players Lofton and Grutza were held to a COMBINED 19 pts in that game on 8/17 shooting.

Bottom-line is that Mason Co. won by 2 points and they had to work their tails off against a seriously depleted team whose emotional leader was seriously injured and came back near the end of the third quarter, only half the player he was before he went out. (3rd quarter, Mason outscored the Crusaders 25-14). In contrast, Mason Co. went on to win their next 3 tournament games by an average of over 15 points...each. :irked:

Sorry...had to get that off my chest. St. Henry was the better team and it sickened me to see it end because of an injury. That team and that coach deserved better.

-CardinalsFan

Well said CF!! And before any of the private school naysayers chime in--All of St. Henry's players on that team were Home Grown!!