Tuition costs of school districts

ladiesbballcoach

Absolutely in Ft. Mitchell it is.

My point is that out-of-district kids don't have the same chance to get into Beechwood. Collinsworth kid would have a greater chance of getting into Beechwood than the single mom in Covington would.

I absolutely agree it starts in the home and think my gender and my generation is the cause of many of society's issues. Fathers are not being responsible for our actions and taking care of situations we were a part in creating.

By no means, am I saying you go to Holmes and you are some sort of dummy. But what I am saying is that anyone out of district does NOT have the same chance to enroll at Beechwood if there is an entrance test.

(IMO) They all have the same chance. We're talking about kids going to private schools here. To get a "free" education at CCH or NCC or St. X... where do you move to? To get a "free" education at BHS (or HHS for that matter... although higher rent) move into the city. Collinsworth would have a chance if he had good grades and tested well. BHS's accepting out of district kids is not a luxury. With all of the new construction in Ft. M the school is full at many grade levels. So, if you are committed to your child and think that BHS is the right choice, and he/she can keep up (that means that the parent(s) have to help them with homework, if needed) then move to Ft. M. or work more jobs to pay the tuiton (satire).

The "starts in the home" thing is way too big to resolve on BGP. see # 3

I didn't think that you were. The tuition hurdle and/or entrance exam hurdle are hurdles... only to those see them as hurdles. After watcing my mother in action... I can't help, but to go back to ... It all starts in the home, because that's really where this is heading.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(IMO) They all have the same chance. We're talking about kids going to private schools here. To get a "free" education at CCH or NCC or St. X... where do you move to? To get a "free" education at BHS (or HHS for that matter... although higher rent) move into the city. Collinsworth would have a chance if he had good grades and tested well. BHS's accepting out of district kids is not a luxury. With all of the new construction in Ft. M the school is full at many grade levels. So, if you are committed to your child and think that BHS is the right choice, and he/she can keep up (that means that the parents have to help them with homework, if needed) then move to Ft. M. or work more jobs to pay the tuiton.

The "starts in the home" thing is way too big to resolve on BGP. see # 3

I didn't think that you were. The tuition hurdle and/or entrance exam hurdle are hurdles... only to those see them as hurdles. After watcing my mother in action... I can't help, but to go back to ... It all starts in the home, because that's really were this is heading.

For many families, that $6,000 hurdle could be seen from the space station and would prevent ANY illegal immigrant from coming in from Mexico.:lol:

Your first post has raised a question in my mind.

If a school open their enrollment and wanted to take 500 kids from out of district at the HS level ONLY, I wonder how that effects being able to get approval from the state to build/add on to the HS. Do they consider only in district potential enrollment, actual enrollment or do they give any consideration to out of district students that MIGHT be coming to your school.

Anyone know the answer to that question?

For many families, that $6,000 hurdle could be seen from the space station and would prevent ANY illegal immigrant from coming in from Mexico.:lol:

Your first post has raised a question in my mind.

If a school open their enrollment and wanted to take 500 kids from out of district at the HS level ONLY, I wonder how that effects being able to get approval from the state to build/add on to the HS. Do they consider only in district potential enrollment, actual enrollment or do they give any consideration to out of district students that MIGHT be coming to your school.

Anyone know the answer to that question?

All dollars given to a school district are based on the seek formula

in Kentucky. In short,funding is provided by some formula... I say this, it reminds me of the BCS bowl bids.. it does not make sense. However, to go back your Holmes HS comment... Holmes gets over $13,000 PER STUDENT from the state and BHS gets about $7000 per student (actually BHS is the next to last in state funding). If you want to know what your school got in 2006, I can tell you.

Now if BHS (or other independent school) could get 500 kids from out of district at say $6000 per kid... which would be broken down as 1/2 from the parent and 1/2 from the county. Well now that's $1.5 million per year from the parent(s) and $1.5 million from the county for a total of $3.0 million per year! In that case.. just like a private school... they do not need the state for the extra 500 kids.

All dollars given to a school district are based on the seek formula

in Kentucky. In short,funding is provided by some formula... I say this, it reminds me of the BCS bowl bids.. it does not make sense. However, to go back your Holmes HS comment... Holmes gets over $13,000 PER STUDENT from the state and BHS gets about $7000 per student (actually BHS is the next to last in state funding). If you want to know what your school got in 2006, I can tell you.

Now if BHS (or other independent school) could get 500 kids from out of district at say $6000 per kid... which would be broken down as 1/2 from the parent and 1/2 from the county. Well now that's $1.5 million per year from the parent(s) and $1.5 million from the county for a total of $3.0 million per year! In that case.. just like a private school... they do not need the state for the extra 500 kids.

You cannot count on $3,000 per kid as many schools do not release those funds.

And you are not going to do a construction project for $3.0 million.

I am talking bout construction funds and not SEEK monies.

Very true, but if you are going to BHS, then pay $6,000... one way or another or move into Ft. M. If the county does not pay.... the parents do.

Simple math, 1 child = $6,000

X 500 kids = $3.0 million

For how many years???? That's $3. million year after year after year. So, if the same 500 kids attend for 4 years... $12 million bucks.. bodda-bing!!! Year after year, with salaries and admin costs... I think you could build a school building. Heck the private school have been doing it... yes they get contributions also.....

I should do a seminar on this stuff. Come to think of it, why these schools do not have an additional 500 out of district students is beyond me. Someone needs to talk to them.

Would you be against a poor kid getting their high school paid for by the school?

It depends on whether this poor kid was 6'3" 200lb. lighting fast, good level head who could throw a football 60 yards on a string and run the 40 in 4.4

:laugh::ylsuper::laugh::ylsuper::laugh::ylsuper::laugh::ylsuper::laugh:

Very true, but if you are going to BHS, then pay $6,000... one way or another or move into Ft. M. If the county does not pay.... the parents do.

Simple math, 1 child = $6,000

X 500 kids = $3.0 million

For how many years???? That's $3. million year after year after year. So, if the same 500 kids attend for 4 years... $12 million bucks.. bodda-bing!!! Year after year, with salaries and admin costs... I think you could build a school building. Heck the private school have been doing it... yes they get contributions also.....

I should do a seminar on this stuff. Come to think of it, why these schools do not have an additional 500 out of district students is beyond me. Someone needs to talk to them.

#2 You are assuming that all of the 6000 can be socked away into a construction fund - you forget, that a student walking around a school creates costs. It costs between 7 and 9 thousand a year to educate a student effectively in the state of Kentucky (per school finance class at UL last spring)

LBBC money for construction for "growth districts" comes from students who actually live in the district.

Frankfort High Tuition is 1770.00 per year, or 10.00 a day. This is up from 350.00 three years ago and has caused a decrease in those applying to go to the high school.

I do not know where the money goes for the tuition .I can say it is right at $2,800 a year with the area I reside in giving the money from the state for my son to Beechwood .The school had to sign a paper telling Beechwood they would transfer over that money .

More or less :I pay $2,800 and the county sends over the part they would receive for him going to the other school.

By the way he really struggled with the decision to change schools but is very glad he did .He loves it at Beechwood.

#2 You are assuming that all of the 6000 can be socked away into a construction fund - you forget, that a student walking around a school creates costs. It costs between 7 and 9 thousand a year to educate a student effectively in the state of Kentucky (per school finance class at UL last spring)

Good point, but I didn't forget; remember from my previous post that the state kicks-in additional money from the seek formula (about $7K per student at BHS per the '05/'06 seek funding report...this is public information).

Plus, just as when you bought your home, you had a mortgage over many years (15 to 30)... school districts generally have to do the same thing through bond issues.

Good point, but I didn't forget; remember from my previous post that the state kicks-in additional money from the seek formula (about $7K per student at BHS per the '05/'06 seek funding report...this is public information).

Plus, just as when you bought your home, you had a mortgage over many years (15 to 30)... school districts generally have to do the same thing through bond issues.

That is only if you have a reciprocal agreement with the sending school. Not all of the students who attend Frankfort High receive ADA money from the state b/c Franklin County Schools will not release it.

So, in Frankfort the county will not release funds...that is a shame. IMO it is not right.

If you send your kid to a public school your tuition is tax deductible in the form of real estate taxes.

Send you kid to a private school and the tuition is not tax deductible, but you do get a tax deduction for paying for another kids tuition (real estate taxes that you pay). I guess they are priviledged and do not need an additional tax break :rolleyes:

Now, send your kid to an independent school that is funded in part by the tax rolls, then they should release the money to the school district. Theory being that it costs money to educate a kid. If that kid is in a school system running, in part, off of the tax rolls, then they should release the money to follow the expense. So if the expense is not incurred in this/her public school district, then the money should be released to the independent school district that is incurring the cost to educate the kid.

• 3 weeks later...
I was talking about a private school.

Would you be against a private school giving a poor child a free education?

No I am not against that at all but I would be against a private school giving a 6'8" 320lb poor child an education when he is already getting an education at another school and playing sports. I have seen this way too many times. Most sports with the exception of the contact sports can play as a middle schooler and if athlete A say plays varisty baseball as an 8th grader for public school and beats private school in the playoffs then as a freshman he is wearing a new uniform with the private school he beat the year before did this just happen over night the kid says,

"Hey I just pitched a 2 hit shutout against the #3 team in the state as an 8th grader and kicked their butt....I think I want to go there next year!"

No I don't think so!

No I am not against that at all but I would be against a private school giving a 6'8" 320lb poor child an education when he is already getting an education at another school and playing sports. I have seen this way too many times. Most sports with the exception of the contact sports can play as a middle schooler and if athlete A say plays varisty baseball as an 8th grader for public school and beats private school in the playoffs then as a freshman he is wearing a new uniform with the private school he beat the year before did this just happen over night the kid says,

"Hey I just pitched a 2 hit shutout against the #3 team in the state as an 8th grader and kicked their butt....I think I want to go there next year!"

No I don't think so!

So you are all in favor of a private Christian school fullfilling part of its mission to educate poor children as long as the poor child isn't an athlete?

So you are all in favor of a private Christian school fullfilling part of its mission to educate poor children as long as the poor child isn't an athlete?

No I am saying don't go looking for the athlete which is what some schools are doing and hiding behind their "everyone deserves an education" crap. Tell me if I am wrong but most of those athletes were already getting an education and the reason the private schools even talk to them is because it would make their team better not really for the interest of the kid. The baseball kid I mentioned in my previous post I think going to the small private school is going to hurt him in the long run because now he is playing multiple sports and had he stayed where he was he could have played baseball only and been much better coming out to play at the next level. But it was all about winning and not really about the kid.