Jimmy Carter: American Revolution Was 'Unnecessary'

HHSDad

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jimmy Carter's generous contributions to the cause of Islamo-fascism more than offsets all of his good deeds. What would a terrorist organization pay to have a former US President bash Israel and American foreign policy?

Carter is an invaluable source of anti-American propaganda for terrorists of every stripe.

Would you say the same about Reagan after he turned tail from Beirut in '83? Or sold arms to Iran for cash and hostages in Lebanon?

The only reason I can figure you loathe the man so is you must have been on the Gerald Ford - Bob Dole election team in '76. :lol:

Would you say the same about Reagan after he turned tail from Beirut in '83? Or sold arms to Iran for cash and hostages in Lebanon?

The only reason I can figure you loathe the man so is you must have been on the Gerald Ford - Bob Dole election team in '76. :lol:

Certainly not. Reagan made his share of blunders on the foreign policy front, but he apparently learned from his mistakes.

If you really want to pit Ronald Reagan's foreign policy resume to Jimmy Carter's record, we can do so - but it really does not seem fair. Whatever you thought of Reagan, he did no damage to the presidency after leaving the office and the same cannot be said of Carter (at least not with a straight face).

Uh, I beg to differ on that count, too. Carter studied nuclear physics and graduated in the top ten percent of his U.S. Naval Academy class in 1946. You may not agree with some of his policy decisions, but it's tough to make a case that he is not a smart man.
Now you sound like people defending GW. :D

Certainly not. Reagan made his share of blunders on the foreign policy front, but he apparently learned from his mistakes.

If you really want to pit Ronald Reagan's foreign policy resume to Jimmy Carter's record, we can do so - but it really does not seem fair. Whatever you thought of Reagan, he did no damage to the presidency after leaving the office and the same cannot be said of Carter (at least not with a straight face).

I won't keep going back and forth. I too see the problems with Carter's presidency. I liked Reagan, thought I saw him as flawed as any in the White House he did do some great things. All I wanted to say was that he also made some gafus.

In fact, you really didn't respond to the Iran Contra issue. Here was Reagan's White House dealing with "terrorists" in Iran and giving them what they wanted (weapons). Do you think that didn't perpetuate their boldness in the future?

As for when he left the office, it wasn't long after that Reagan's health began failing. He didn't have the opportunities to make too many problems.

And again, you didn't respond to my critique about Carter's humanitarian work. While we probably agree on Carter's lack of political work, to deny his charitable work is also ridiculous.

I won't keep going back and forth. I too see the problems with Carter's presidency. I liked Reagan, thought I saw him as flawed as any in the White House he did do some great things. All I wanted to say was that he also made some gafus.

In fact, you really didn't respond to the Iran Contra issue. Here was Reagan's White House dealing with "terrorists" in Iran and giving them what they wanted (weapons). Do you think that didn't perpetuate their boldness in the future?

As for when he left the office, it wasn't long after that Reagan's health began failing. He didn't have the opportunities to make too many problems.

And again, you didn't respond to my critique about Carter's humanitarian work. While we probably agree on Carter's lack of political work, to deny his charitable work is also ridiculous.

Perhaps you did not like my responses, but I responded on every point that you raised. Habitat for Humanity is a wonderful charity and had Carter limited his post-White House years to working for worthy charities, then I would have no complaint.

Correct me if I am wrong, but political kidnappings and terrorism became widespread in the Middle East only after Carter helped radicals in Iran overthrow the Shah and then admitted the Shah to the US for medical treatment. Without Carter and his cowardly handling of the hostage crisis the Islamo-fascist terrorism in the region would have been a much smaller problem for Carter's successors, including Reagan.

If Reagan's decision to pull troops out of Lebanon and his administration's decision to deal arms for hostages sent the wrong message to terrorists, which I agree they did, then he sent a much different message when he later bombed Libya. Tens of million of people were freed from the shackles of the Iron Curtain, due in large part to Ronald Reagan's vision and leadership. How does that compare to Jimmy Carter's humanitarian scorecard?

Judging by the way our national media constantly defends Carter's pathetic record (let us not forget Carter's popularization of the "misery index"), I can only conclude that history's lessons have once again failed to take hold. As fewer and fewer of us actually remember firsthand the disaster that was Jimmy Carter's presidency, the whitewashing of Carter's stain on American history will probably succeed.

Maybe, but the electoral process said differently. :thumb:
When voters got a chance to correct their mistake, they did so by a landslide margin. Ironically, Carter made the misery index one of his main issues in the '76 campaign and the misery index grew to record levels during his single term. I was shocked that the donning of cardigan sweaters had no impact on inflation, unemployment, or interest rates. :eek:

I am thankful that Jimmy Carter was not our first president because he might also have been our last one. Fortunately for us, our founding fathers believed that the Revolutionary War was necessary. Carter seems to consistently view past and present events from the non-American perspective.

yeah, except I'm pretty sure Jimmy Carter knows how to properly pronounce the word nuclear.
You ARE joking right?

Carter was the first president in my lifetime to prounounce "new-klee-ar" "nu-que-lur" and Carter was billed as being some kind of trained nuclear technician during his naval service. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just figured Bush Jr. learned from the expert. :lol: