Jefferson County Voters

All Tell

Did you vote in favor of the tax increase for Libraries?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Did you vote in favor of the tax increase for Libraries?

• Yes
    • No

You have a boat; but you wouldn't pay a mere 54 cents a day ($200/yr.) to provide quality libraries for your children's future? I just don't understand that. :eek:

Do you doubt my ability to educate my children in the future? I have a ton of resources abvailable. Basically, I decided to hold our mayor accountable for his words. I stand by my vote, and for once, I am in the vast moajority in my opinion.

I have a library card. Ask around- I am one of the biggest bleeding heart liberals to ever grace BGP, but this was too flawed to pass. They killed themselves by trying to 'put one over' on the voters.

Literally, the verbiage on the ballot was one of "guilt", I am not that slow.

Evryone who voted "no" should tear up their library cards. But I doubt they have them. :rolleyes:

Why? Just because I don't want to give more of my money have more of my money taken from me and given to a government institution does not mean I shouldn't be allowed to use the library. I pay taxes to support the library. I have a right to use the library.

I don't need one....I have way more resources at my fingertips on my laptop.

For what it's worth I have found that the vast majority of research I did in college (2001-2005) was unavailable online. Outside of online periodical databases, the internet wasn't of much use to me for acadamic and reputable sources.

Evryone who voted "no" should tear up their library cards. But I doubt they have them. :rolleyes:

Louisville Free Public Library cards are too difficult to tear up... they're plastic. And mine's not going anywhere, despite my NO vote.

If I thought that this money would actually go to good use, be put to those uses by people that knew where the money needed to go and that it would really improve the library system here in town, then I'd have voted for it. But to vote "Yes" just because Abramson wants to have another press conference about how much he's doing for the city while diverting the funds to countless other pet projects... no thanks. I don't know how we're going to get rid of this mayor, but it needs to happen soon.

The outcome of this vote reaffirmed my faith in the public. I thought it had a chance to pass but the public was too smart. I say again, if you want to give more money to the libraries, then write a check. I prefer to give to the DAV and St. Vincent de Paul, but to each his own. If you are willing to pay an extra .2% to the libraries, then why not .1% next year to the homeless, and then .2% the following year to disabled veterans? This ridiculous ballot issue was not about whether or not you supported libraries, it was whether you think extra money needed to go to the city budget. I think they can do better with what they've already got with regard to my tax money.

The outcome of this vote reaffirmed my faith in the public. I thought it had a chance to pass but the public was too smart. I say again, if you want to give more money to the libraries, then write a check. I prefer to give to the DAV and St. Vincent de Paul, but to each his own. If you are willing to pay an extra .2% to the libraries, then why not .1% next year to the homeless, and then .2% the following year to disabled veterans? This ridiculous ballot issue was not about whether or not you supported libraries, it was whether you think extra money needed to go to the city budget. I think they can do better with what they've already got with regard to my tax money.
I don't even know what to say about this kind of logic. :eek:

What those of you who are so "anti-tax no matter what" don't seem to realize is that the tax monies were going to be used to purchase property that the library system is currently forced to rent, at a very high cost. So you basically shot yourself in the foot on this one. In the end, you will likely have to pay more than you saved with your penny-pinching. :rolleyes:

I hear you complaining about the levy. But at the same time, I hear you complaining that the libraries are sorely outdated. Well, duh! That was part of what the levy was going to do for you. It was going to help modernize the facilities, the equipment, and the inventory.

As PepRock explained, libraries are a resource that cannot be even remotely duplicated by a Google search. They're an invaluable part of the community and deserved to be supported. I just can't imagine anyone (especially a parent) not thinking the library system was worth a few cents a day. :irked: