Jefferson County Voters

All Tell

Did you vote in favor of the tax increase for Libraries?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Did you vote in favor of the tax increase for Libraries?

• Yes
    • No

How did you vote on the Library Tax increase?

I voted no because I feel like Louisville and Jefferson County is taxed enough as it is and the revenue needed could be found from other sources.

I also think that there was quite a bit of intentional subterfuge in how this tax was described and who exactly would be paying it. I found it very telling that the library director, who was very vocal and available early on, refused to comment after some of the methods of getting this measure on the ballot ad some of the advertising methods were brought into question.

How did you vote on the Library Tax increase?

I voted no because I feel like Louisville and Jefferson County is taxed enough as it is and the revenue needed could be found from other sources.

I also think that there was quite a bit of intentional subterfuge in how this tax was described and who exactly would be paying it. I found it very telling that the library director, who was very vocal and available early on, refused to comment after some of the methods of getting this measure on the ballot ad some of the advertising methods were brought into question.

I voted in favor. Could you tell me exactly what services you wish to cut to pay for the libraries? Police? Fire? Roads? Snow removal? I have heard the charge of subterfuge about the tax before. If you didn't understand it, you just weren't paying attention.

Mayor for Life Jer, as part of his re-election campaign, said he could improve the libraries without raising taxes. In the interest of honesty he should not have backed this plan. It's time for him to put the money he already has where his mouth is. Maybe the council members can give up their discretionary funds or maybe the library employees can put the same effort into fundraising as they did in trying to push this down voters throats.

Obviously a whole lot of people understood what it was since it went down by such a large margin.

Well in our household this tax would've cost us over $2,000 and with two children under 3 years old....I have better use for that money, besides, here in Kentucky, we are taxed very heavily for ous cars, boats, houses etc......they get plenty....and I wasn't going to go down without a fight....

Well in our household this tax would've cost us over $2,000 and with two children under 3 years old....I have better use for that money, besides, here in Kentucky, we are taxed very heavily for ous cars, boats, houses etc......they get plenty....and I wasn't going to go down without a fight....

WOW! You must be doing really well. A tax of over $2,000 means wages of over $1,000,000. I am less familiar with the business tax portion of the proposal.

I voted... drumroll please... no.

I'm for raising money for the library system. It needs it. But this was very flawed.

Taxing business but leaving an exception for large business? Nu-uh.

Creating a deliberately unresponsive governing body? Nu-uh.

Running a deceptive campaign for the adoption, including leaving out the word tax in the proposal? Nu-uh.

Obviously a whole lot of people understood what it was since it went down by such a large margin.

I think the real issue is that the voting public felt like the supporters of the measure weren't being honest with them. And they were right.

Well in our household this tax would've cost us over $200 and with two children under 3 years old....I have better use for that money, besides, here in Kentucky, we are taxed very heavily for ous cars, boats, houses etc......they get plenty....and I wasn't going to go down without a fight....

TYPO......my bad

Creating a deliberately unresponsive governing body? Nu-uh.

This was the main reason I didn't support the tax. The plan called for a slew of bureaucratic nightmares to distribute the funding at a time when our local government needs to be streamlining and finding ways to be more effective.

Everyone who voted "yes" should multiply your annual income by .002 and then write a tax deductible donation to the libraries. Right now. If you make $120,000, your check should be for $240. Go ahead. The library will happily cash it.
Evryone who voted "no" should tear up their library cards. But I doubt they have them. :rolleyes:

Well in our household this tax would've cost us over $200 and with two children under 3 years old....I have better use for that money, besides, here in Kentucky, we are taxed very heavily for ous cars, boats, houses etc......they get plenty....and I wasn't going to go down without a fight....
You have a boat; but you wouldn't pay a mere 54 cents a day ($200/yr.) to provide quality libraries for your children's future? I just don't understand that. :eek:

Evryone who voted "no" should tear up their library cards. But I doubt they have them. :rolleyes:
I have a library card. Ask around- I am one of the biggest bleeding heart liberals to ever grace BGP, but this was too flawed to pass. They killed themselves by trying to 'put one over' on the voters.