Whitley parent sues KHSAA

4chs

If you moved, than it would be a bonafide change of address and no sitting out.

A lot of KHSAA supporters say that LBBC, but I have to disagree. If you move and it's a traditional sale followed by a traditional purchase then I think the KHSAA rules eligible.

However, not every move is this cut and dry. If a family moves and, in this market, can't sell their home so they rent it to someone else - the kid is ruled ineligible and must have a hearing. If the family sells the house on a land contract, the kid is ruled ineligible and must have a hearing. At the hearing they look at things like utility bills, but I also have first hand knowledge that one student athlete's move was deemed non-bonafide because "the parent did not change the address on their driver's license?"

The KHSAA is paranoid of kids moving for athletic purposes only. I just don't see why. If they would put the time, effort, and resources into investigating the recruiters rather than the recruitees I might be on their side, but imo they are penalizing kids unjustly.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife was a legal secretary for the labor department in their Louisville office. One of the best law firms in the region, outstanding talent, and I'm sure that the KHSAA is a fine, fine client for Ted. Truly, no disrespect was meant, but I don't like their client.

I agree. It appears there's far too much patronage. If the rules were uniformly enforced, such as "sit out a year", which often results in whatever the KHSAA deems appropriate, etc., that "client" would have more credibility. It's a separate entity and not a part of the KDE and, while I'm not positive the same problems wouldn't occur, since politics has been known to intervene with the KDE, at least the school system would make the decisions regarding a particular student's eligibility, or ineligibility. As it is now, athletics is more important than academics since we have both the KDE, as well as the KHSAA deciding the disposition of a child's future involvement, or the lack thereof. We, as recently as '03, were in a situation that, in retrospect, should not have taken for granted the student would be successful in achieving, whereas the student was to complete additional academic work which would have allowed him to continue to attend the classes with the same classmates as in prior years, but failed to do so. So the student was placed behind his classmates by the KDE, which should have been sufficient grounds for ineligibility as regards athletics. But we also have the KHSAA, which is allowed to dictate the same disposition, after it has already been decided! So, ultimately, the KHSAA has more power to decide a child's fate, as it pertains to athletics, than does our KDE, or there would be no need for their involvement! I do see the need, however, for knowledgeable individuals to be involved in athletics in our school system instead of academicians, but I believe they are available. If not for the seriousness of the subject, I'd almost think it funny that these adults would want their names associated with child's play! This isn't the NFL. :creepy: And the NCAA is represented by the schools they are involved with. :confused:

I believe the rule is if the student moves schools before they leave the district, then they are required to sit out of athletics for one year. To the best of my knowledge the kid switched schools in January, and the family moved this fall. If this is the case then they have no reason to blame any of this on the Williamsburg school board.

I can not see why any school would want to keep a child from playing sports period. If they do not want to play for your school, then let them go where they want. More than likely the problems they had at the previous school will surface at the new school as well. Sounds like a mistake on the dates that were filled in on the forms by Mr. Patrick. I agree, no way Williamsburg is to blame in this situation.

If you moved, than it would be a bonafide change of address and no sitting out.

The KHSAA is not perfect, nor is our legal system, that is the reason that we have an appeals process. There must be rules and regulations in place or what is there to stop athletes from jumping from school to school if there is a disagreement with a coach on playing time or anything else for that matter. Lets say for example what if Corbin’s quarterback was injured next week, and because Corbin is a larger more visible school as far as college recruiting goes, Williamsburg or Whitley County’s quarterback decides to which schools and take advantage of the open position? Should it be okay as long as the parents claim to be separated and one rents an apartment in Corbin? I am not saying that this is the case with the Patrick issue, I do not know all the facts, I am only giving an example of a possible situation that would require the KHSAA to deny a players eligibility. Not every move is black and white; there are sometimes gray areas that are not public knowledge.

after reading all this i am concerned.. A friend of ours has a house in another county that will be ready for us to rent in May, and it means my son will have to change schools in 2008 does that mean he will not be able to play football for them because he played varsity where we are now?

after reading all this i am concerned.. A friend of ours has a house in another county that will be ready for us to rent in May, and it means my son will have to change schools in 2008 does that mean he will not be able to play football for them because he played varsity where we are now?

I would say you need to contact the KHSAA ASAP and explain the situation to them and ask what you need to do.

I would say if you are renting now and will not have a house that you own at your present spot, no problem.

The KHSAA is not perfect, nor is our legal system, that is the reason that we have an appeals process. There must be rules and regulations in place or what is there to stop athletes from jumping from school to school if there is a disagreement with a coach on playing time or anything else for that matter. Lets say for example what if Corbin’s quarterback was injured next week, and because Corbin is a larger more visible school as far as college recruiting goes, Williamsburg or Whitley County’s quarterback decides to which schools and take advantage of the open position? Should it be okay as long as the parents claim to be separated and one rents an apartment in Corbin? I am not saying that this is the case with the Patrick issue, I do not know all the facts, I am only giving an example of a possible situation that would require the KHSAA to deny a players eligibility. Not every move is black and white; there are sometimes gray areas that are not public knowledge.

And thus the appeals process involving the Commissioner.

I would say that in your scenario above, that would be an environment that HS athletics are trying to stay away from. Do you believe that it would be okay for a HS athlete to be able to switch schools on a weekly basis?

The question is......Where is the onus of proof? On the parents to prove that it is not a move on athletic basis? On the KHSAA to prove it is an athletic basis move?

The latter is not an enforceable situation.

The KHSAA has rules for everything . Some good and a few not so good. A child has no choice if parents move.

The question too many times is, Has the parents really moved?

They keep their house they own in the original community while "renting" an apartment in the new community for the single year the kid will be playing ball.

Thanks , I will contact them, and we are renting, and have been looking for a bigger place for about a year that is with in our budget in this area, but so far nothing has surfaced for us. I hate to move my son schools, but will not have a choice, and I would hate to think he couldn't play football if I did move him.

Thanks , I will contact them, and we are renting, and have been looking for a bigger place for about a year that is with in our budget in this area, but so far nothing has surfaced for us. I hate to move my son schools, but will not have a choice, and I would hate to think he couldn't play football if I did move him.

I would think that since you are renting there and renting at the new place and leaving no semblance of a permanent residence that YOU OWN at the present location, it should not be a problem.

But please don't go on my view and contact the KHSAA.