16th Region/District predictions

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about this...RH (Euton and Jackson) don't have experience winning big games (District games) with their RH teammates, whereas Elliott Co. and even Ashland for that matter does. Its easy to win AAU games when your roster is loaded with other players of the same caliber.

OK....Gopher where were you years ago when every team in the 64th district was beating your Lions like a drum....... Why try to down the 64th???? Teams have down years. The 64th district or 16th region as a whole has never faired too well at state. This is high school. Teams are not always as strong from year to year, thats just the breaks. Every now and then you get a "Antonio Owens" or a "jon Vanhoose" that comes in and brightens up your schools program. IMO RH will be the team to beat...And I believe that they will beat your Lions "IF" they make it out of the districts. Elliott has a nice team ---yes. Everyone knows that. Tomcats will be solid, RH SOLID, Boyd is down this year. You are just too overboard about AAU. Do you not think four or five of your Elliott Co stars have not prospered from the AAU program?? please...... Your killin me.......

I can't believe I've waited 188 posts in a 16th Region thread to weigh in... :eek:

If the boy’s games are as fiercely contested as some of the previous posts, we'd all better buckle up, we're in for a real ride until March... and that's exactly what I believe we'll enjoy this season.

Every team in the region has some talent and coaching. Obviously, some more than others, but on any given night, it’s entirely possible for any one of the 16th Region teams to sneak up and spank another. Granted, it may take a bit more effort to spank Elliott than it will to spank a weaker team, but there is no team in this region that can afford to take a night off… not this season. There will be no cake walks to Rupp. I can’t wait… :thumb:

As far as AAU being a benefit or not, the following post by Gopher is mind-boggling to me…

As much as you RHer's would like for AAU games to count as district and region games they don't. So bringing up AAU this and AAU that is basically meaningless. And what does it say about your team when they play against elite competition in AAU games all summer, and then can't win a game in the district tourney. Obviously all those AAU games havent helped enough. Am I wrong?? Obviously, Ashland doesn't need to have a major investment in AAU to field a better team than RH year after year.....
Toss out school allegiances and woofing over whose team should win the Region in October, and let’s look at the facts. The entire Elliott team, from the current Junior class down to Freshman Timmy Knipp have actively participated in AAU basketball at a high level. Fairview’s up and coming Sophomore class have all played AAU ball. Ashland’s most outstanding talent Matt Thomas has played AAU ball (as did Drew McDavid.) Rose Hill super sophs Euton and Jackson are the first class at the Hill since Mayo and Walker went on their world tour to play AAU at a high level. Behind them, Freshmen Barber and Malloy, a half dozen 8th graders and another half dozen 7th graders have all played on teams that have won the Kentucky State tourney and competed nationally… some for years. Their success at the elementary and middle school levels against area teams is well documented. It’s a little early to say whether this development and experience will translate to success at the varsity level, but it’s illogical to suggest that it has been a waste of time and energy.

Gopher’s point about Euton and Jackson competing against elite competition all summer and not winning in the District tourney is not taking into account that RH started two freshmen and an 8th grader last season. Give ‘em a chance to mature just a bit and we’ll see if that argument still holds water… or, name two other freshmen in the Region who averaged around 20 points and over 10 rebounds per game, were the focal point of every opponent’s defensive game plan, AND have not ever played AAU ball, and I’ll concede your point. :lol:

OK....Gopher where were you years ago when every team in the 64th district was beating your Lions like a drum....... Why try to down the 64th???? Teams have down years. The 64th district or 16th region as a whole has never faired too well at state. This is high school. Teams are not always as strong from year to year, thats just the breaks. Every now and then you get a "Antonio Owens" or a "jon Vanhoose" that comes in and brightens up your schools program. IMO RH will be the team to beat...And I believe that they will beat your Lions "IF" they make it out of the districts. Elliott has a nice team ---yes. Everyone knows that. Tomcats will be solid, RH SOLID, Boyd is down this year. You are just too overboard about AAU. Do you not think four or five of your Elliott Co stars have not prospered from the AAU program?? please...... Your killin me.......

What? My Lions? Iam in NO WAY a BC fan.....

I can't believe I've waited 188 posts in a 16th Region thread to weigh in... :eek:

If the boy’s games are as fiercely contested as some of the previous posts, we'd all better buckle up, we're in for a real ride until March... and that's exactly what I believe we'll enjoy this season.

Every team in the region has some talent and coaching. Obviously, some more than others, but on any given night, it’s entirely possible for any one of the 16th Region teams to sneak up and spank another. Granted, it may take a bit more effort to spank Elliott than it will to spank a weaker team, but there is no team in this region that can afford to take a night off… not this season. There will be no cake walks to Rupp. I can’t wait… :thumb:

As far as AAU being a benefit or not, the following post by Gopher is mind-boggling to me…

Toss out school allegiances and woofing over whose team should win the Region in October, and let’s look at the facts. The entire Elliott team, from the current Junior class down to Freshman Timmy Knipp have actively participated in AAU basketball at a high level. Fairview’s up and coming Sophomore class have all played AAU ball. Ashland’s most outstanding talent Matt Thomas has played AAU ball (as did Drew McDavid.) Rose Hill super sophs Euton and Jackson are the first class at the Hill since Mayo and Walker went on their world tour to play AAU at a high level. Behind them, Freshmen Barber and Malloy, a half dozen 8th graders and another half dozen 7th graders have all played on teams that have won the Kentucky State tourney and competed nationally… some for years. Their success at the elementary and middle school levels against area teams is well documented. It’s a little early to say whether this development and experience will translate to success at the varsity level, but it’s illogical to suggest that it has been a waste of time and energy.

Gopher’s point about Euton and Jackson competing against elite competition all summer and not winning in the District tourney is not taking into account that RH started two freshmen and an 8th grader last season. Give ‘em a chance to mature just a bit and we’ll see if that argument still holds water… or, name two other freshmen in the Region who averaged around 20 points and over 10 rebounds per game, were the focal point of every opponent’s defensive game plan, AND have not ever played AAU ball, and I’ll concede your point. :lol:

My point is that AAU success does not always translate to success on the high school hardwood. This is evident at RH. Now that may not be true in the future, but it has been true so far. I dont care if Euton and Jackson avg. 20 and 10. Because its obvious they need to do more than that to advance to Mhead, or get some serious contributions from all those players you named, that have yet to do anything of consequence when it comes to Kentucky High School Basketball. Am I wrong?

My point is that AAU success does not always translate to success on the high school hardwood. This is evident at RH. Now that may not be true in the future, but it has been true so far. I dont care if Euton and Jackson avg. 20 and 10. Because its obvious they need to do more than that to advance to Mhead, or get some serious contributions from all those players you named, that have yet to do anything of consequence when it comes to Kentucky High School Basketball. Am I wrong?
No, you are not wrong... but only in a very narrow sense. :lol:

Mayo, Walker, Williams, Taylor, VanHoose, Barker, Blair, Thomas, Dawson, Hill, etc. actually did achieve success at RH due at least in part to the development of their talent via AAU competition. Granted, that was in 2003, but considering that Barker went on to become Fairview's main threat, VanHoose and Blair at Russell, Thomas (and McDavid too) at Ashland, Taylor and Williams at Huntington High. Mayo and Walker everywhere... :lol: it would appear that AAU does at least help develop a player's skills and confidence.

To be absolutely fair, I know several players across the state who were beasts in AAU, and later disappeared much of their high school careers. Some kids just blossom earlier than others. Some fade and some persist to finish strong, but to write off the benefits of AAU ball especially regarding RH's current crop of talent after their finish last season is reckless at best.

Honestly, can you name one other team playing a legitimate schedule that started two freshmen and an 8th grader that finished with a 20 win season?

RH is still an extremely young team. Give 'em a couple more years, and we'll be able to fairly evaluate your contention, (but I think we both know how that is likely to turn out don't we? :lol: )

How about Elliott? The only starter they had much taller than six feet was an 8th grader, (who played AAU) and they ran all over most teams last season.

I really don't have a major axe to grind here, I'm just looking for facts.

I think the AAU seen is very beneficial to kids if it is kept in proper perspective. Of the Elliott Co kids I have talked the most with Faulkners & Maynard.They do not seem to get nervous or uptight & I think a lot of it has to do with their AAU experience. Maynard has played in National Tourneys all over the country when he lived in Scott Co & the last 3 years at Elliott. We all know the twins & the remainder of Elliott kids have played in those same type atmospheres so it definitely gives them big game experience. It is a major plus

I think, if not mistaken, GG is implying RH uses AAU to attract players to their school.

Just a guess.

I didn't miss GG's not-so-subtle assertion. I chose to ignore it.

What I do know is that RH has been scrutinized more closely by the KHSAA than any other school in the region. They have passed every conceivable inquiry. Contrary to popular myth, RH has to play by the same rules every other school in the region plays by. If anyone wishes to suggest RH is doing something improper, I STRONGLY recommend they contact the KHSAA. Otherwise, they will be in violation of BGP Rule 4, and subject to an extended BGP vacation.

The problem as I see it is that to be successful, AAU is a major commitment of time and resources for individual families. Many parents/coaches don’t want to invest in another three to six months of competitive sport and travel… so, they decide to poo-poo the whole deal for everyone in their system. Which is great if you never compete outside of your town or school district. I know a lot of city champions who will never win a District or Region title.

Then by the time it is evident that other parents, coaches and schools have been working harder and investing more in their players and programs, it’s easier to stick their heads in the sand and say the successful schools are doing things they shouldn’t be doing.

Sorry boys, the times have changed.

Elliott is proof of this, and I’d like to think another 16th Region school will be too. :thumb: