16th Region/District predictions

Back to the thread, can anyone in the 16th unseat Elliott County? I believe the consensus is yes but very few and they would have to play near perfect ball, and hope the Lions shooting was off. Will they overlook someone in the 1st round of the district? Very doubtful they are very mature,and their coach seems to keep them grounded. This is just my opinion but, if anyone is going to upset Elliott it will be in the semis of the regionals, they will be facing in all likely hood another winner, if they get by this game, with their experience it will be hard for anyone to beat them in the finals.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to the thread, can anyone in the 16th unseat Elliott County? I believe the consensus is yes but very few and they would have to play near perfect ball, and hope the Lions shooting was off. Will they overlook someone in the 1st round of the district? Very doubtful they are very mature,and their coach seems to keep them grounded. This is just my opinion but, if anyone is going to upset Elliott it will be in the semis of the regionals, they will be facing in all likely hood another winner, if they get by this game, with their experience it will be hard for anyone to beat them in the finals.

You mean SpinDoc and I can't talk about our deer hunts on this thread??:madman:

Takes a good team and a lot of luck and or blessing to win the region!!!!!!!! Don't care what you did last year. Anything could happen. I could run a list a mile long(from the last 30 years) of should have beens and of teams that in a ten game series with team f would win nine of the ten but team f gets lucky and or blessed and pulls off the up or down set whichever you prefer to call it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:scared:

I'm not an Elliott Co. fan, but I do appreciate their homegrown talent.

I do too.

East Carter, Morgan County, and Elliott County plus GC in Ward days may be only teams to win a region with homegrown talent in the past 25 years in the 16th region.

Wow, we are now comparing dunkers? If I remember correctly, didn't Gill from Russell seem to be the best athlete last season? Did he not dunk a couple of times on in-bounds plays? Great to watch, very exciting, yet he was merely a role player. Sometimes athleticism doesn't translate into great basketball player. This has turned into "my guy is a better athlete than your guy" thread. East lost a very talented shooter who is now shooting at KCU. They'd best hope one of those tremendous athletes can put the biscuit in the basket. Ferguson can jump out of the gym, yet he knows how to elevate and score. No one IMO can go to the hole like Jackson from Rose Hill, no one can drive and elevate and hit a 10 foot jumper like Thomas from Ashland. No one can deny Selby once he gets it on the block. So here we go, spinning the 16th region wheel and I for one can't wait until we play some games instead of running our traps.

Role player Gill signed with Taylor University and coach Paul Patterson.

Role player Gill signed with Taylor University and coach Paul Patterson.

Congratulations to him, but are you suggesting he was more than a role player? I'm not knocking the kid here whatsoever, only saying that freak athletic ability sometimes doesn't equate to freak basketball player. By the way, did he sign to play basketball?

If I recall correctly, one of those "tremendous athletes" averaged 14 points per game last year and was an all district, all region, and all area performer.(Drew Johnson)

BTW, I am not an East Carter fan but they are going be a great team.

Can we all agree to be somewhat realistic in our praise this season? East Carter will by no stretch of the imagination be a "great team". There are no great teams in the 16th Region.

As for dunking, although he made a somewhat cameo appearance in the region, no one compares with Bill Walker. He is the "Supreme Dunker" with Mayo second and Dawson third. I realize that all three of these guys played at RH but, in rating dunkers, we aren't required to have a quota system or to be inclusive- merely to be truthful.

Congratulations to him, but are you suggesting he was more than a role player? I'm not knocking the kid here whatsoever, only saying that freak athletic ability sometimes doesn't equate to freak basketball player. By the way, did he sign to play basketball?

Yes in basketball and track.

He was a role player but vastly improved his shooting range his senior year.

Would have started for any team in the region last year.

As for the region, we really don't know who will win. With the exception of the district championship, the post season is lose a go home. 1 game. If we had a best of 3 series for each round, Elliott would probably win. But, one bad game and it's over. After Elliott, almost anyone could win it if they got hot enough. There are no All-Time great teams in the area though. I would say Elliott could get there if they had a beast on the blocks to do the "garbage" things like block shots and rebound, and play tough post defense. As far as dunking goes, it doesn't win games, but it is the funnest play in basketball. In this region it would be the equivilant of hitting a grand slam in baseball or blocking a field goal and running it back for a touchdown in football. Crowds go nuts. Would like to see someone do the Surgalski dropstep dunk on someone. But that takes athleticism, guts, height, and strength, really unlikely in this part of the state for someone to put all those together because most players are in the 6-2 to 6-4 range.