Greenup County Suggestion's

Man an East and West GC would have been great. Maybe it's still a good idea.

I agree that outside the area coaches will be needed to right the football ship. It's funny though, do you guys really think a coach would'nt use a player because of where he is from , I've never played for anyone who did'nt want to win , and win badly. They all know winning is what keeps their jobs . Anyway I'd be for bringing back Mckell High School Go Bulldogs I'm glad I'm not part of this drama LB

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was Mahan really told he would be moved to center?

My source close to the team tells me that Mahan wanted more touches with the football. The coach gave Mahan a playbook to learn the QB position. Mahan never learned the playbook so he couldn't be trusted to know the QB responsibilities in their spread offense. Next, their coach placed him in a skill position, but Mahan was "attempting" to catch the ball several times with one hand. Plus, he made a lackluster effort on 4th and goal to make it into the endzone. Both of these were witnessed by many in the Raceland game.

Since the skill positions didn't work for Mahan, the coach gave him the opportunity to have more touches by becoming a center -- after all, the center touches the ball as many times as the QB does. Mahan initially agreed to the position in front of the team, but backed out minutes later when he refused to receive the wristband cards for the center position.

Mahan made a choice not to become center (putting himself before the team) and left the team.

My source close to the team tells me that Mahan wanted more touches with the football. The coach gave Mahan a playbook to learn the QB position. Mahan never learned the playbook so he couldn't be trusted to know the QB responsibilities in their spread offense. Next, their coach placed him in a skill position, but Mahan was "attempting" to catch the ball several times with one hand. Plus, he made a lackluster effort on 4th and goal to make it into the endzone. Both of these were witnessed by many in the Raceland game.

Since the skill positions didn't work for Mahan, the coach gave him the opportunity to have more touches by becoming a center -- after all, the center touches the ball as many times as the QB does. Mahan initially agreed to the position in front of the team, but backed out minutes later when he refused to receive the wristband cards for the center position.

Mahan made a choice not to become center (putting himself before the team) and left the team.

I think Greenup will play better without him. No team needs a distraction like he was making. Get your stuff and go home.

OK Here is my 2 cents. Greenup Co. is a class 3A school with a 1A sports program. Now don't shoot me yet Greenup fans, let me explain. Everyone complains that it is the coach,it is the addministration, it is the kids, it is south shore vs. wurtland. I dont think any of this is true. You cant tell me that the Greenup kids dont want to win eveytime they step on the Gridiron or the basketball floor. Now back to my first statement. Back in the Late 70's and early 80's Greenup had 11 elementary's, that is 11 basketball teams, which if my math is right 11 x 10 players min. per team = 110 players that have played basketball on a team since the 5th grade. Once they enter high school that is a large number to choose from as freshman. Now organized ball dont start until 7th grade, because people thought is was to much emotional damage to a 5th or 6th grader to have to set the bench if he or she was not good enough to play. Dont get me wrong I have coached many years and belive every kid should have the chance to play, but every kid should EARN their chance to play also. we have took away the competitive drive to acheive because we as parents dont want to see little johnny feelings hurt. Back to the problem as i see it. Now there are 2 8th grade basketball programs in the Greenup system. 2x10=20 Freshman with basketball expericence. instead of 110. Greenup County started closing schools out in the county to schools closer to US23. you can not expect a parent of a good athlete say in warnock or danelyton to drive there kids in grade school up to 45min. each way to play sports. When they get in high school and get lucky enough to have a car, where thet can drive theirself, they are to far behind to catch up fundamentley with the rest of their class. I used basketball as a example buy it goes the same for football. Most of Raceland and Fairview kids can probably walk to school and to PRACTICE every day. But everyone always says Little Raceland or Little Fairview should not be able to play with a much larger Greenup Co. but in reality they have as big if not bigger sports program than Greenup. Sorry to ramble on Just my 2 cents!!!!

Since the late 70's the little school up the road has taken your discontented and turned them into winners not only on the field but, in society

For example, Dalton Terry, a former player from Greenup County, was the first player ejected from the Raceland vs. Greenup County game last week?

http://www.dailyindependent.com/localsports/local_story_272014911.html

Raceland lineman Dalton Terry was the first to leave when a penalty was thrown on the third drive of the game.

:eek:

For example, Dalton Terry, a former player from Greenup County, was the first player ejected from the Raceland vs. Greenup County game last week?

http://www.dailyindependent.com/localsports/local_story_272014911.html

Raceland lineman Dalton Terry was the first to leave when a penalty was thrown on the third drive of the game.

:eek:

If you were watching, he did not start the fight, but he did finish it. Not to say it was the right thing to do, it was wrong.:confused:

If you were watching, he did not start the fight, but he did finish it.

I am aware of what happened. Your version is not what I saw nor what I understood was stated before the game to other Raceland players by the aforementioned player.

We will agree to disagree.

I guess everyone has their opinion, so her is another one. I think that the division of the upper and lower end of the county is more of a parent "thing", that can't be let go. The kids don't care where their friends are from, until they hear their parents talk of the past and the rivals between the two schools.

Next, Lloyd was a good choice for the school. Right in the middle. Also, Lloyd is a growing community and from what I have observed and heard, an excellent one to raise a family. Why do you think there are so many houses being built in that area?

Candy Berry, what can anyone say. She is an excellent leader. What she says goes, and it should because she is the coach. She has always been respected and has earned that respect. Maybe she needs to have classes on how to be a good coach?

Finally, I do agree that schools are needed "out in the county". Many of the kids who live farther out do not have a chance to begin the feeder programs, or feel they are not comparable to the other kids.

You have to give Greenup County some credit. They are dealing with a lot of kids and adults from many different socioeconomic backgrounds. More so than Raceland or Russell. This is difficult in itself.

Hey outsider where you been? What is the status of #7, coach let him take a beating last night, now that we only have 2 quarterbacks #7 and #9, #6 been moved to receiver, coach's decision, #6 said he's not quarterbacking now or in future, been played over and lied to too much.

No idea, traveling up north and this was the first I have heard he was hurt. Hate to hear about another GC loss but even worse to hear about another GC injury. If this sidelines him, woe is GC in the confines of PUTNAM STADIUM.

I am aware of what happened. Your version is not what I saw nor what I understood was stated before the game to other Raceland players by the aforementioned player.

We will agree to disagree.

He said, she said, they said; enough said.