Greenup County Suggestion's

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop some of the adults from acting like children. Treat everybody fairly no matter what part of the county they are from. To many factions. The county is still devided. Until thats fixed it probably won't get any better.

Stop some of the adults from acting like children. Treat everybody fairly no matter what part of the county they are from. To many factions. The county is still devided. Until thats fixed it probably won't get any better.

Is the division geographic, or in some other form? Lewis County, for example, was always informally divided by Herron Hill; and a few years back, Tollesboro was in the 10th region with Lewis County in the 16th. Mason County and Maysville were bitter rivals, but the consolidation went relatively smoothly.

So are we talking some kind of political divide, geographic, or what?

There is no sense of community around GC. The school is stuck out in no where. When it was created they decided to try to be fair and not put the school in any of the communities that had high schools and thus created a situation where there was no real community around it. McKell (South Shore) had such a strong program that it dominated. They didn't want to give up that domination and caused the rest of the district to resent them. I have heard a lot of bad stories about kids just not participating because they were either told they wouldn't get a chance due to where they lived or not getting a fair shake once they did play. I don't know if it is as overt as it once was but that is the perception still. Sammons and any future coaches will be dealing with that for a long time. GC had an excellent chance to overcome this when TJ Maynard was there but a small group of people killed that. He was getting better representation from the rest of the county when he left and that is one reason he is the winningest coach in their history.

Another problem is support in the form of administration taking care of things like cutting the field, cleaning up the trash, getting new bleachers and lights. It will be hard to ask an experienced coach to come in there under these circumstances. I don't know what they pay coaches but I do know at one time it was the same coaching salary as started when the schools merged. They didn't have an AD for awhile and that put a little more work on the coach. The new AD is a good man and needs time to move things forward. The empire that one of the former basketball coaches tried to keep also did its fair share of damage to an already damaged sport at GC.

Under Maynard, GC was beating Raceland most of the time and a couple of times beat Russell. They won district championships and played in the playoffs. I guess him being a Russell product while the rest of the staff being Russell, Wheelersburg, and a Greenup (not South Shore) coach was not what some were looking for. They ran off some good coaches. They ran an offense suited to the kids and a good, punishing defense and rarely shot themselves in the foot. That put them in position to win games though it wasn't as exciting as throwing 45 times a game I guess.

To fix - upgrade the facilities, make sure the feeder program is getting kids out from other parts of the county than where they come from now, make each home game an event that gets people out, pay your coaches, give support with the little things like cutting the grass and hauling the trash out after games, be patient as more kids enter the program, make it a concerted effort COUNTY WIDE to let kids know that they are needed and will be treated fairly. Long-term I would either split the system into 2 high schools or move the high school to Greenup to, among other things, create a sense of community.

That's my take as an outsider that knows a little about the inside. It won't be real easy or quick. The AD is a good man and wants to see kids succeed no matter where they are from. Step back and let him untie all the knots that are in GC's rope.

There is no sense of community around GC. The school is stuck out in no where. When it was created they decided to try to be fair and not put the school in any of the communities that had high schools and thus created a situation where there was no real community around it. McKell (South Shore) had such a strong program that it dominated. They didn't want to give up that domination and caused the rest of the district to resent them. I have heard a lot of bad stories about kids just not participating because they were either told they wouldn't get a chance due to where they lived or not getting a fair shake once they did play. I don't know if it is as overt as it once was but that is the perception still. Sammons and any future coaches will be dealing with that for a long time. GC had an excellent chance to overcome this when TJ Maynard was there but a small group of people killed that. He was getting better representation from the rest of the county when he left and that is one reason he is the winningest coach in their history.

Another problem is support in the form of administration taking care of things like cutting the field, cleaning up the trash, getting new bleachers and lights. It will be hard to ask an experienced coach to come in there under these circumstances. I don't know what they pay coaches but I do know at one time it was the same coaching salary as started when the schools merged. They didn't have an AD for awhile and that put a little more work on the coach. The new AD is a good man and needs time to move things forward. The empire that one of the former basketball coaches tried to keep also did its fair share of damage to an already damaged sport at GC.

Under Maynard, GC was beating Raceland most of the time and a couple of times beat Russell. They won district championships and played in the playoffs. I guess him being a Russell product while the rest of the staff being Russell, Wheelersburg, and a Greenup (not South Shore) coach was not what some were looking for. They ran off some good coaches. They ran an offense suited to the kids and a good, punishing defense and rarely shot themselves in the foot. That put them in position to win games though it wasn't as exciting as throwing 45 times a game I guess.

To fix - upgrade the facilities, make sure the feeder program is getting kids out from other parts of the county than where they come from now, make each home game an event that gets people out, pay your coaches, give support with the little things like cutting the grass and hauling the trash out after games, be patient as more kids enter the program, make it a concerted effort COUNTY WIDE to let kids know that they are needed and will be treated fairly. Long-term I would either split the system into 2 high schools or move the high school to Greenup to, among other things, create a sense of community.

That's my take as an outsider that knows a little about the inside. It won't be real easy or quick. The AD is a good man and wants to see kids succeed no matter where they are from. Step back and let him untie all the knots that are in GC's rope.

I agree TJ Maynard would have took GC Far. But wasn't given a chance.

The AD might help I hope. But still need a coach.

The comment above about going to a new system by the Galloping Ghost is true. I do not however think that his is close to the main problem at GCHS.

Imo GC has to get rid of the "good ol' boy" system where a certain part of the County rules the system / athletic program. This has been that way since the conception of the school in 72' (I believe). True, GCHS had had some powerhouse teams and talent in this system but jmo as an outsider it has gotten worse and worse.

'Some" adults and persons in power at GCHS imo need to get over themselves and work for the kids instead of worrying over a power stuggle and each other. I personally do not think that anything will change untill that takes place. GCHS has ran on politics since the start. This happens in most schools to a point but nothing like at GCHS.

Another thing along the same lines I believe woud be to hire future coaches from completely outside the "inner circle" so to speak. I would hire someone for the next coach that has no ties to this area and especially GC at all. After that then support him! Don't bring out the "lynch mob" and not give a coach a chance just bc he is not "ol buddy" that you went to school with or the like.

Always remember that admin., faculty, coaches and anyone else in the school sytem are supposed to be there for the Kids.

If I am too critical then I do not mean to be. The thread was asking opinions and I just gave mine. I am an outsider to the system but have always been familiar with GCHS through the years. I have many, many friends there that I respect greatly and have known for 35-40 years or longer (and I am 50 ;))

Good Luck to GCHS and I would love to see that school / athletic program back to the level that it was many years ago and even better.:thumb:

The comment above about going to a new system by the Galloping Ghost is true. I do not however think that his is close to the main problem at GCHS.

Imo GC has to get rid of the "good ol' boy" system where a certain part of the County rules the system / athletic program. This has been that way since the conception of the school in 72' (I believe). True, GCHS had had some powerhouse teams and talent in this system but jmo as an outsider it has gotten worse and worse.

'Some" adults and persons in power at GCHS imo need to get over themselves and work for the kids instead of worrying over a power stuggle and each other. I personally do not think that anything will change untill that takes place. GCHS has ran on politics since the start. This happens in most schools to a point but nothing like at GCHS.

Another thing along the same lines I believe woud be to hire future coaches from completely outside the "inner circle" so to speak. I would hire someone for the next coach that has no ties to this area and especially GC at all. After that then support him! Don't bring out the "lynch mob" and not give a coach a chance just bc he is not "ol buddy" that you went to school with or the like.

Always remember that admin., faculty, coaches and anyone else in the school sytem are supposed to be there for the Kids.

If I am too critical then I do not mean to be. The thread was asking opinions and I just gave mine. I am an outsider to the system but have always been familiar with GCHS through the years. I have many, many friends there that I respect greatly and have known for 35-40 years or longer (and I am 50 ;))

Good Luck to GCHS and I would love to see that school / athletic program back to the level that it was many years ago and even better.:thumb:

I agree! :thumb: But remember the one who does the hiring is from South Shore, so I don't think hiring outsiders will ever happen.

I hope, for the kids sake, that GC gets on the road to Victory. I have kids of my own, who I'd love to see play there. I'm a dedicated GC fan, but if there aren't some changes made( and not just on the surface ) I'll have to take them elsewhere, and the closest school is Raceland.

Guest kybigguy42

The feeder system has to get better in Greenup County. I think everyone is dead on when they mention that a certain part of the county tends to dominate the football program. It has been 30 years since Greenup won the State Championship. That team had kids from all over the county who played. I have been away for awhile, but from what I hear most of the kids now come from one end of the county. Alot of good athletes from the Greenup/Wurtland area have gone to neighboring schools to play with great success. I wonder sometimes if they should have ever built one County High School. I think maybe a set-up like Carter County would have been best. The folks in Greenup are just not on the same page.

I think gennup just needs to start playing football the way Greenup county plays football. I mean people can blame the coaches and parents as much as they want but until we stop excepting losing is when we will win! I think we might finally got our heads on start and we will win at least 4-5 games in the rst of the regular season. My prediction is Greenup makes playoffs for the first time in a few years!

I think gennup just needs to start playing football the way Greenup county plays football. I mean people can blame the coaches and parents as much as they want but until we stop excepting losing is when we will win! I think we might finally got our heads on start and we will win at least 4-5 games in the rst of the regular season. My prediction is Greenup makes playoffs for the first time in a few years!

Greenup is guaranteed to make the playoffs due to only 4 teams in their district.

I started this thread and I'm going to speak , this goes back to 1968, when McKell won 77-6, so Don Gullett, could break all scoring records, he scored 77 himself, and humilated the Wurtland team. We have had some good coach's, Coach Maynard, did do a good job, come playoffs his teams ran into Bell County and Rockcastle County, perennial powerhouses, so certain people wanted change. Coach Sammons came in with, mostly all coachs from South Shore, one from Portsmouth and one from Greenup, the Touchdown club paints the field and sometimes cuts the grass, the school is over all, maintenance of facility, yes, we do need, new bleacher's and lights, these are original from 1972, they are rebuilding the school at this time, seem's like administration would try and fix the problem's, no one cares. If it were not for the touchdown club, who has contributed in buying, all the game pants, school bought jersey's, bench's for locker room, new camera to film games, new sideline mat,s, spirit packs for each boy, kicking net, the new offense, plus we feed the team on varsity, jv., and freshman games, also gatorade, should Touchdown Club buy all these things for the team, or should the school? I've probaly left some things off the list, the members of the Touchdown Club get along great, with all making new friendships, and working together, I don't think the division, South Shore against rest of county, exist's like it use to be, the players do get along with each other, and I don,t tkink it really matters, where you live or what middle school you attended, the people and fans want to win, the last 3 yrs. under Coach Sammons, his record 5 wins and 20 losses, no playoff appearances, whose to fault, coach's, player's, parent's, fan's, administration. If we get a new coach, I hope he is from out of state, and knows no one, the players are the one's that are being hurt by all the stuff that goes on.