Greenup County Suggestion's

There is no sense of community around GC. The school is stuck out in no where. When it was created they decided to try to be fair and not put the school in any of the communities that had high schools and thus created a situation where there was no real community around it. McKell (South Shore) had such a strong program that it dominated. They didn't want to give up that domination and caused the rest of the district to resent them. I have heard a lot of bad stories about kids just not participating because they were either told they wouldn't get a chance due to where they lived or not getting a fair shake once they did play. I don't know if it is as overt as it once was but that is the perception still. Sammons and any future coaches will be dealing with that for a long time. GC had an excellent chance to overcome this when TJ Maynard was there but a small group of people killed that. He was getting better representation from the rest of the county when he left and that is one reason he is the winningest coach in their history.

Another problem is support in the form of administration taking care of things like cutting the field, cleaning up the trash, getting new bleachers and lights. It will be hard to ask an experienced coach to come in there under these circumstances. I don't know what they pay coaches but I do know at one time it was the same coaching salary as started when the schools merged. They didn't have an AD for awhile and that put a little more work on the coach. The new AD is a good man and needs time to move things forward. The empire that one of the former basketball coaches tried to keep also did its fair share of damage to an already damaged sport at GC.

Under Maynard, GC was beating Raceland most of the time and a couple of times beat Russell. They won district championships and played in the playoffs. I guess him being a Russell product while the rest of the staff being Russell, Wheelersburg, and a Greenup (not South Shore) coach was not what some were looking for. They ran off some good coaches. They ran an offense suited to the kids and a good, punishing defense and rarely shot themselves in the foot. That put them in position to win games though it wasn't as exciting as throwing 45 times a game I guess.

To fix - upgrade the facilities, make sure the feeder program is getting kids out from other parts of the county than where they come from now, make each home game an event that gets people out, pay your coaches, give support with the little things like cutting the grass and hauling the trash out after games, be patient as more kids enter the program, make it a concerted effort COUNTY WIDE to let kids know that they are needed and will be treated fairly. Long-term I would either split the system into 2 high schools or move the high school to Greenup to, among other things, create a sense of community.

That's my take as an outsider that knows a little about the inside. It won't be real easy or quick. The AD is a good man and wants to see kids succeed no matter where they are from. Step back and let him untie all the knots that are in GC's rope.

Don't forget about Coach Garry McPeek he won a district championship at Greenup, then TJ took over.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree! :thumb: But remember the one who does the hiring is from South Shore, so I don't think hiring outsiders will ever happen.

I hope, for the kids sake, that GC gets on the road to Victory. I have kids of my own, who I'd love to see play there. I'm a dedicated GC fan, but if there aren't some changes made( and not just on the surface ) I'll have to take them elsewhere, and the closest school is Raceland.

That was what I was talking about :thumb:- the "norm" and/or that frame of mind and way of thinking imo needs to be done away with. I think that it is clear that it's not working.

I started this thread and I'm going to speak , this goes back to 1968, when McKell won 77-6, so Don Gullett, could break all scoring records, he scored 77 himself, and humilated the Wurtland team. We have had some good coach's, Coach Maynard, did do a good job, come playoffs his teams ran into Bell County and Rockcastle County, perennial powerhouses, so certain people wanted change. Coach Sammons came in with, mostly all coachs from South Shore, one from Portsmouth and one from Greenup, the Touchdown club paints the field and sometimes cuts the grass, the school is over all, maintenance of facility, yes, we do need, new bleacher's and lights, these are original from 1972, they are rebuilding the school at this time, seem's like administration would try and fix the problem's, no one cares. If it were not for the touchdown club, who has contributed in buying, all the game pants, school bought jersey's, bench's for locker room, new camera to film games, new sideline mat,s, spirit packs for each boy, kicking net, the new offense, plus we feed the team on varsity, jv., and freshman games, also gatorade, should Touchdown Club buy all these things for the team, or should the school? I've probaly left some things off the list, the members of the Touchdown Club get along great, with all making new friendships, and working together, I don't think the division, South Shore against rest of county, exist's like it use to be, the players do get along with each other, and I don,t tkink it really matters, where you live or what middle school you attended, the people and fans want to win, the last 3 yrs. under Coach Sammons, his record 5 wins and 20 losses, no playoff appearances, whose to fault, coach's, player's, parent's, fan's, administration. If we get a new coach, I hope he is from out of state, and knows no one, the players are the one's that are being hurt by all the stuff that goes on.

Great post and comments by someone that is on the "inside" so to speak. I think that his threead would benifit from more "insiders" comments. :thumb:

There is no sense of community around GC. The school is stuck out in no where.

If you ever go to GCHS after school, you will see that GCHS has become its own community, every inch of GCHS is being utilized, baseball field, football field, soccer field, gym, tennis courts, band, jfl is at the front of the building.

The kids wants to succeed but too many parents want to live their childhood dreams and not let the kids be kids. They should have fun and still learn. Discipline is not started at the high school but at the home, look at some of the kids and then look at their parents, you will see their actions copied by their kids.

I agree! :thumb: But remember the one who does the hiring is from South Shore, so I don't think hiring outsiders will ever happen.

I hope, for the kids sake, that GC gets on the road to Victory. I have kids of my own, who I'd love to see play there. I'm a dedicated GC fan, but if there aren't some changes made( and not just on the surface ) I'll have to take them elsewhere, and the closest school is Raceland.

Been there!:thumb:

I started this thread and I'm going to speak , this goes back to 1968, when McKell won 77-6, so Don Gullett, could break all scoring records, he scored 77 himself, and humilated the Wurtland team. We have had some good coach's, Coach Maynard, did do a good job, come playoffs his teams ran into Bell County and Rockcastle County, perennial powerhouses, so certain people wanted change. Coach Sammons came in with, mostly all coachs from South Shore, one from Portsmouth and one from Greenup, the Touchdown club paints the field and sometimes cuts the grass, the school is over all, maintenance of facility, yes, we do need, new bleacher's and lights, these are original from 1972, they are rebuilding the school at this time, seem's like administration would try and fix the problem's, no one cares. If it were not for the touchdown club, who has contributed in buying, all the game pants, school bought jersey's, bench's for locker room, new camera to film games, new sideline mat,s, spirit packs for each boy, kicking net, the new offense, plus we feed the team on varsity, jv., and freshman games, also gatorade, should Touchdown Club buy all these things for the team, or should the school? I've probaly left some things off the list, the members of the Touchdown Club get along great, with all making new friendships, and working together, I don't think the division, South Shore against rest of county, exist's like it use to be, the players do get along with each other, and I don,t tkink it really matters, where you live or what middle school you attended, the people and fans want to win, the last 3 yrs. under Coach Sammons, his record 5 wins and 20 losses, no playoff appearances, whose to fault, coach's, player's, parent's, fan's, administration. If we get a new coach, I hope he is from out of state, and knows no one, the players are the one's that are being hurt by all the stuff that goes on.

Great post Old Warrior. I assume you are from Wurtland (my Dad was from there). I think I wasn't clear about the South Shore QB Club. The group I was referring to was a loose group of people from SS that had no association with GC's booster club, which is great!!! The SS group was something of a lynch mob without any sense. They ran off some good people. The division in the county is like a ghost floating above it. It may have started out about Gullett but it has evolved. I still hear about it and it is very evident when you look at the make up of the team. I don't know that it is intention anymore, more of an unintended consequence of years of neglect to the rest of the county.

Noting the geography and history, there probably should have been an East Greenup Co High and a West Greenup Co high school, but that is water under the collective bridge. I'm sure it was all about the budget when the school merger was conceived. Now, the best example of why the lack of football success is not a problem with South Shore vs Wurtland is summed up by one name... Candy Berry. Candy Berry has accomplished more with the cheerleading program at GCHS than any other similar program in the state. She has multiple National championships, and a national reputation for being a top cheerleading program year in and year out. What's the difference you ask? Candy Berry leads that program like Vince Lombardi lead the Packers. No one has ever wondered who was in charge or what dedication it takes to be a member of that squad. There are no exceptions. If you cross the line or break a rule you're out. Period. End of discussion. The problem with this football team is a total lack of leadership from the top down. Get a decent coaching staff in there and see what happens. A strong coach can handle any parent situation. He simply states that it's his way or the highway. Your Jimmy or Joe is not important, the team is important. Get with the program, obey the team rules or get out. I would suggest that the AD go find himself another Candy Berry to lead the football program. Good Luck!

Noting the geography and history, there probably should have been an East Greenup Co High and a West Greenup Co high school, but that is water under the collective bridge. I'm sure it was all about the budget when the school merger was conceived. Now, the best example of why the lack of football success is not a problem with South Shore vs Wurtland is summed up by one name... Candy Berry. Candy Berry has accomplished more with the cheerleading program at GCHS than any other similar program in the state. She has multiple National championships, and a national reputation for being a top cheerleading program year in and year out. What's the difference you ask? Candy Berry leads that program like Vince Lombardi lead the Packers. No one has ever wondered who was in charge or what dedication it takes to be a member of that squad. There are no exceptions. If you cross the line or break a rule you're out. Period. End of discussion. The problem with this football team is a total lack of leadership from the top down. Get a decent coaching staff in there and see what happens. A strong coach can handle any parent situation. He simply states that it's his way or the highway. Your Jimmy or Joe is not important, the team is important. Get with the program, obey the team rules or get out. I would suggest that the AD go find himself another Candy Berry to lead the football program. Good Luck!

I agree with you totally even though you can't compare cheerleading to football, you can win at Greenup County it's just going to take someone who can committ many many hours in everyday to achieve success. The kids are in the school you just have to get them out.

I agree with you totally even though you can't compare cheerleading to football, you can win at Greenup County it's just going to take someone who can committ many many hours in everyday to achieve success. The kids are in the school you just have to get them out.

My point was to compare success vs failure. Success is a journey, not a destination.

Just get some new lights, that place is the darkest field around,they have 4 poles of lights on each side of the field and Raceland has 2 poles on each side its so much brighter,Raceland got new lights 10 years ago and just had them relamped this year,it sure would help just to brighten up the place to boost a little moral...

Just get some new lights, that place is the darkest field around,they have 4 poles of lights on each side of the field and Raceland has 2 poles on each side its so much brighter,Raceland got new lights 10 years ago and just had them relamped this year,it sure would help just to brighten up the place to boost a little moral...
I totally agree with you, nothing much has been done to the football field since it's conception, alot of things, get done by the touchdown club, if it were not for the gate money at football games, other sport's teams there would suffer, soccer, volleyball, softball, mostly girls sports. I think, you have to spend money to make money, and get the community back, let's face it our football facilities are a joke, an emberassment, superintendent, principal, AD, all of them, have looked it over, but they do nothing about it. We will never have anything, until the administration is changed.

Should that be your decision then we will have a "Orange Mafia" membership waiting for you :D:thumb:.