Highlands 53 CovCath 21 (JV)

leatherneck

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's been banged up all year. They didn't want him taking shots in a JV, I'd imagine...

You sure you want to do this?:D

I'm just asking. I wasn't there and do not have the qb depth chart memorized.

Good for HHS that they have enough depth to have a qb like Tony G assigned to JV duties. We all wish we had that depth.

However, that does put a new perspective on the outcome.

Good for HHS that they have enough depth to have a qb like Tony G assigned to JV duties. We all wish we had that depth.

It was negated by #28 for CCH who played all day Saturday. :D

Tony G. didn't have anything to do with the opening kick off to the 3 yard line, the INT returned for a TD before the half, the INT returned for a TD towards the end of the game (by a frosh) and the fact that Clint Crawford was by far the fastest player on the field. Shoot, Oliver Head had 3 TD's on 4 carries...again, nothing to do with Tony G....

On a side note, no one from HHS complained when a kid pitched a 1-hit JV baseball game that ended up being the winning pitcher in the regional semi's...:p

Do all the Frosh playing for Highlands put a new perspective on the outcome? I think the perspective is to prepare kids for playing varsity next year. Thats where the outcome matters.

Why not play the Jr. varsity backup who took about what 8 snaps in the varsity game. Big part of grooming next years starter would be to get that kid reps. I'm not understanding the concern here. :confused:

No concern at all. As I said previously, all schools wish they had enough depth that a kid with Tony G's talent could be relegated to JV duty. My question was in regards to the availability of other JV qbs. SM answered those.

It was negated by #28 for CCH who played all day Saturday. :D

Tony G. didn't have anything to do with the opening kick off to the 3 yard line, the INT returned for a TD before the half, the INT returned for a TD towards the end of the game (by a frosh) and the fact that Clint Crawford was by far the fastest player on the field. Shoot, Oliver Head had 3 TD's on 4 carries...again, nothing to do with Tony G....

On a side note, no one from HHS complained when a kid pitched a 1-hit JV baseball game that ended up being the winning pitcher in the regional semi's...:p

A sensitive bunch in 41075.

I wasn't there. Didn't know how many qbs dressed. Have no problem with him playing.

JV, in my mind, is all about development. If this is where Tony G gets time to develop his late-game passing arm, I'm all for it. If a JR pitcher needs innings, send him to JV to pitch.

That's why simply looking at JV results does not tell us anything.

A sensitive bunch in 41075.

I wasn't there. Didn't know how many qbs dressed. Have no problem with him playing.

JV, in my mind, is all about development. If this is where Tony G gets time to develop his late-game passing arm, I'm all for it. If a JR pitcher needs innings, send him to JV to pitch.

That's why simply looking at JV results does not tell us anything.

Yup...

I just thought it was ironic that CCH'ers were complaining about something they were doing. That whole, blind faith thing...:D

I can think of at least four that played a lot. Sullivan, Bishop, Gold and ??? (shoot). I know there were others...

Huddleston was the other Sticky. Keep in mind all 4 of these players have moved up to help at the LB position. Currently the only JV LB that's been practicing at that position is Blake Newman. The others, Bankamper, Alford and Abner are out with injuries. Two of them were season ending injuries. Last night I saw and 2 O-lineman playing LB.

How is Donnie Brown progressing? Will he see any action in the varsity games?

He's progressing very well. He's seen some action in varsity games and I expect him to continue to get some time. He doesn't start. Dale has done a good job of rotating a bunch of defensive linemen in the varsity games (including Donnie). What was a concern on D has now become a strength in my opinion as we are very deep at those positions. Michael Laber, previously a linebacker, has made the transition to D line very well. He, along with Peko and Reis give us 3 very solid starting D linemen and played a large role in shutting down the CovCath varsity offense on Saturday (particularly in the second half). Frost, Rosenhagen, Brown and for the life of me I can't remember the other kid's name, provide some very solid backups. And with a lot of juniors and sophomores in the rotation, the D line should be a strength next year also.

Until Tony played qb last night, we had been using a former qb (Jake Turner) to act as the JV qb after Bardo broke his collar bone. With the frosh qb also banged up, we had no choice but to use Jake. Jake did a good job, but he wasn't developing the skills that he'll use at the varsity level (he's now a receiver). Using Tony as the JV qb made a lot of sense for two reasons: 1. it allowed Jake to play receiver (his natural spot) in the JV game and 2. allowed Tony to get some much needed reps at the qb spot ( I think he only got about 8 plays in the varsity game). I agree with you cshs, that its nice to have the luxury of a qb with Tony's skills as a JV qb. Frankly I'd stack our the qbs in our four classes (senior-Cecil; junior-Guidugli; sophomore-Bardo; and freshman-Abner) against any other program's 4 qbs.

And as others pointed out, the Birds victory went way beyond Tony's passing. Heck, I was much more impressed with the way we ran the ball than the way we passed the ball in the JV game.