Highlands 53 CovCath 21 (JV)

leatherneck

A pretty hard hitting game. Highlands was obviously the better team. Clint Crawford for Highlands had a particularly good game. His speed running the ball was impressive...CovCath had no match for him. When he hit the corner, he was gone. He also played a pretty good game at cornerback. Ollie Head also ran the ball well. He made an interception towards the end of the game and took it back about 60 yards and made some fantastic cuts and broke several tackles along the way. Birds ran the ball very well and their O line looked really good. Passing game wasn't too shabby either.

Birds defense looked pretty good. Donnie Brown and Blake Newman, just to mention 2 of the Birds that played well, looked really good on defense. Cam Dierig also had a very nice game.

Overall, just a pretty dominating performance by the Birds. Saw a lot of Highlands frosh out there getting some really good experience throughout the game.

CovCath looked okay at times. Was impressed with the running of both numbers 36 and 23.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought CovCath's QB threw the ball very well in the first half (only stayed for 1/2). There seemed to be a LOT of frosh playing up on JV. Has this been done all season? Others that stood out for me were Jake Turner, Tyler Combs and Hunter Schlosser on O-Line, young Buten had some nice catches and a monster hit in the D-backfield ( the CovCath reciever made a GREAT play to hold onto the ball for a nice gain.) And you better have your head on a swivel when Brian Beck is on the prowl...he'll slobberknock ya' if the whistle hasn't blown!! Nice win Birds!

With Crawford it's a track meet to the corner that's for sure. If he get's there as LN pointed out he's got the speed to score anytime. Looking ahead to next year which is very pre-mature on my part, but I think he'll be a great addition to the backfield with Josh. How about Oliver's interception run back for a touchdown right before halftime. It reminded me of the Oliver we saw in the FTJFL. Hunter Schlosser will find his way onto the Varsity O-line next year at one of the Guard positions. He's fundamentally sound and will be a force trap blocking with his speed and aggressiveness. Nice game all around for the Birds. Keep working hard young men.

Every time I've watched the HHS JV team play, they've had FROSH.

Dale doesn't worry one bit about putting the Freddies out there in the JV games. Really has to make them confident when they then play the next frosh game and really preps them for their sophomore year. Dale likes to say and believes that sophomores at Highlands are at a level of juniors at most programs. I think he's right.

And DMZ, I agree with you that CovCath's qb threw some nice passes. He has a very good arm and looks to be another solid qb in CovCath's long line of good qbs. I think CovCath, Highlands, NCC and Dixie have some of the most successful programs for developing qbs in N. Ky as well as the state (obviously you include Trinity in that group when you are talking state wide).