I guess it is a sign of the times....and a very sad sign.

ladiesbballcoach

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=1016084

Dads Mike Pelonzi, 43, and Joe Curran, 42, dreamed up the bullet-proof backpack, which also blunts knife attacks, to protect their own children after witnessing the Columbine massacre in 1999.

“It was after seeing what happened in Columbine that we started thinking about this. I’m a parent and so is Joe and we wanted a way of keeping kids safe at school and this is what we came up with,” said Pelonzi, co-owner of MJ Safety Solutions which produces ‘My Child’s Pack’.

The backpacks, which will cost $175, have a super-lightweight bullet-proof plate sewn into the back which weighs no more than a bottle of water. Pelonzi said the material used is a secret.

Two questions. Could exceptions be made for this in systems where only clear backpacks are allowed?

Is this guy saying that having a protective backpack would be threatening or offensive? “It seems to me that it would not serve our district-wide dress code which says that students cannot wear anything which is threatening or offensive,” said Jonathan Palumbo, Boston Public Schools spokesman.

This is completely ridiculous. I'm not downplaying the tragedies that have happened, but the bottom line is the odds of it happening to your kid are astronomical against.

I get so tired of hearing about whole industries built around preying upon the irrational fears of people.

This is completely ridiculous. I'm not downplaying the tragedies that have happened, but the bottom line is the odds of it happening to your kid are astronomical against.

I get so tired of hearing about whole industries built around preying upon the irrational fears of people.

Your job as a parent is to protect your child at all costs and give them the best opportunity to succeed. If this is the way some feel they are protecting their child, so be it...

Not to come off as a jerk, but Im sure thats what all the other families thought before it happened to their child.

Free advice from CSHS81:

If you feel that a bulletproof backpack that also can withstand a knife attack MIGHT be good for your child, immediately pack your belongings and move to a different neighborhood. You've got A LOT of other problems.

Free advice from CSHS81:

If you feel that a bulletproof backpack that also can withstand a knife attack MIGHT be good for your child, immediately pack your belongings and move to a different neighborhood. You've got A LOT of other problems.

Initially, that's what I thought. However, Columbine isn't exactly the 'ghetto'...

Your job as a parent is to protect your child at all costs and give them the best opportunity to succeed. If this is the way some feel they are protecting their child, so be it...

Well, they might accidentally get hit by a car (which is far more likely to happen than them getting shot-up Columbine-style). Better not let them learn how to walk.

Initially, that's what I thought. However, Columbine isn't exactly the 'ghetto'...

At some point you simply say "I can't prevent everything" and move on, right? Otherwise, you put a bulletproof vest on your child anytime they leave the house.