Two-a-days?

KY1234

I've never prayed so much as when we were running sprints (and I retched) at the end of the 3rd practice of the day. Mostly I just prayed "Lord, take me now!"

Agreed! Although you really find out a lot about yourself and your teammates when you are all in that together. I remember carrying people and being carried to the water cooler or locker room. Many times I thought there would be no way I could come out and do the same training by myself. But because I was out there with other guys that I did not want to let down that you force yourself through it somehow.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two-a-days are for getting a lot done in a short amount of time, conditioning, getting many repetitions, and commaradary.

IMVHO this reason is WAY overrated. If this is the only reason for doing doubles then you don't need to be doing doubles, plain and simple.

I have never been a big proponent of doubles just for the sake of doubles.

I thougt doubles were very beneficial to us...we never had two bad practices in a row....you knew if the morning went bad in the afternoon everyone brought it....when you practice once a day...you can fall into bad habits, especially since most practices are only two hours.

IMVHO this reason is WAY overrated. If this is the only reason for doing doubles then you don't need to be doing doubles, plain and simple.

Agreed. Commaradary can be gained all year long in the weight room, or on a canoe trip, or in the classroom.

Is being "carried" or "carrying" someone off the field a good thing? Football is not war.

You don't think that a team becoming a team and learning to deal with each other differences is important in football? I'm not saying to do two-a-days just for the sake of doing them, I am saying get a lot out of them. Do a lot in a short amount of time and preparing for the season.

Agreed. Commaradary can be gained all year long in the weight room, or on a canoe trip, or in the classroom.

Is being "carried" or "carrying" someone off the field a good thing? Football is not war.

I don't think that what is gained in two-a-days can be gained in the weight room. The adversity is not the same and the intensity is not as high. Canoe trip and classroom I will not even touch. When I say commaradary I mean a group of people learning to work together and stride for the same goal, perhaps a poor word selection, put never the less.

I would like to compare the KY high school practice schedule to that of a college football program. Any college players out there? What is your schedule like???

I played in college at the d1 level the only difference is at college we had ice water towels that the trainers would drain over our heads any time you were not in a drill or practice and gatorade was always being shoved in your face ,high school programs do not have 5 managers and 5 trainers to go around and take care of every player like they do at college,the coachs at college are not worried about stoping practice for water breaks because someone else is taking care of it.I Think it is alot to ask of a coach to take responsibility in a high school program in the age of the lawsuit to be able to take care of 50 to 70 kids with out much help. You can not compare college and high school practice its just not the same.

I played in college at the d1 level the only difference is at college we had ice water towels that the trainers would drain over our heads any time you were not in a drill or practice and gatorade was always being shoved in your face ,high school programs do not have 5 managers and 5 trainers to go around and take care of every player like they do at college,the coachs at college are not worried about stoping practice for water breaks because someone else is taking care of it.I Think it is alot to ask of a coach to take responsibility in a high school program in the age of the lawsuit to be able to take care of 50 to 70 kids with out much help. You can not compare college and high school practice its just not the same.

EXCELLENT POINT. Let's not forget every football trainer is also in charge of soccer and any other fall program going on, too.

KY1234,

You and some others make some excellent points in this thread but you can't use Dixie as an example of success. Dixie has really started slow the last couple of years. Also, I have heard Dixie doesn't break their back in the spring either. In other words, Dixie takes a less is more approach but it has not paid off early in the season the last couple of years.

In college we had triple sessions and they were quite brutal, not because of the practices, but becase we only had an hour break to ourselves after lunch, and after dinner....for TWO WEEKS...that was horrible. Now, water is there for everyone all the time now, it wasn't when we were in High School.

Does "more practices" provide an opportunity for more success? I dont know the answer to that. I cant state whether Dixie doing or not doing doubles is why they are or are not successful. Players, talent, tradition and support (or lack thereof) are all the ingredients for success - not just the time you put in. But then again, you could be right. I have not followed them all that closely.

Compare that to does "more conditioning" during season provide an opportunity to be in better shape? I really dont know the answer to that one either. Maybe that is another discussion topic. Some coaches will run their kids daily and sometimes those legs are so burned out that they cannot compete at their highest levels on game day. There are folks that say that conditioning is counter productive. If you are practicing hard for two hours, do you really need the conditioning at the end. Many sports trainers will agree to that.

KY1234,

You and some others make some excellent points in this thread but you can't use Dixie as an example of success. Dixie has really started slow the last couple of years. Also, I have heard Dixie doesn't break their back in the spring either. In other words, Dixie takes a less is more approach but it has not paid off early in the season the last couple of years.

Don't know where you're getting your info but I know my son and quite a few others worked their backsides off during the spring. Also, prior to that they attended a strength and conditioning classes.

Don't know where you're getting your info but I know my son and quite a few others worked their backsides off during the spring. Also, prior to that they attended a strength and conditioning classes.

Didn't you know? It's fashionable to beat down the Red Colonels now that they are in Highlands district. This whole thread was started to dig at the Dixie players and coaches in response to a post in another thread.

I rarely say this, but I hope the players read and remember what's been said on her the last few weeks.

We were given more respect from Trinity than we are getting from SOME of the birds fans.

What did Dixie's spring football practice consist of?

Didn't you know? It's fashionable to beat down the Red Colonels now that they are in Highlands district. This whole thread was started to dig at the Dixie players and coaches in response to a post in another thread.

I rarely say this, but I hope the players read and remember what's been said on her the last few weeks.

We were given more respect from Trinity than we are getting from SOME of the birds fans.

Your compass is off course, KY1234 is not a Bird fan.

If Dixie needs some locker room material I am sure BGP can produce much better than this thread.

What did Dixie's spring football practice consist of?

Dixie does not do full pad scrimmages like other schools as far as I know, but if you are not in baseball or basketball they do conduct mandatory/voluntary conditioning/weight lifting/etc...

Not playing in pads in spring is a coaches decision. From what I was told it is mostly due to the fact that a good number of our kids are multisport athletes or have jobs.

I was told that Coach Spritzky did not want to deprive kids the experience they would gain from having either one of these things. If you do not have a job or participate in another sport you are expected to come. It has been my experience that those with jobs and other sports tend to come as much as they can anyway just so they don't let down their teammates.