Two-a-days?

KY1234

Didn't you know? It's fashionable to beat down the Red Colonels now that they are in Highlands district. This whole thread was started to dig at the Dixie players and coaches in response to a post in another thread.

I rarely say this, but I hope the players read and remember what's been said on her the last few weeks.

We were given more respect from Trinity than we are getting from SOME of the birds fans.

My thread was NOT to bash Dixie or their Coach. In fact, my comment was that Coach Spritsky might be smarter than most coaches for not having doubles (and it was not sarcastic). I have argued that Heat and the amount of time schools have on the field may possibley influence coaches to think twice about doubles.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't you know? It's fashionable to beat down the Red Colonels now that they are in Highlands district. This whole thread was started to dig at the Dixie players and coaches in response to a post in another thread.

I rarely say this, but I hope the players read and remember what's been said on her the last few weeks.

We were given more respect from Trinity than we are getting from SOME of the birds fans.

SM32, just consider the source. Sometimes when I read this stuff on here it makes me wonder if my kid is second class by not playing football in Ft. Mitchell or Ft. Thomas. While I would LOVE for Dixie to imitate those two great programs, I think people tend to go overboard and take themselves way too serious.

My thread was NOT to bash Dixie or their Coach. In fact, my comment was that Coach Spritsky might be smarter than most coaches for not having doubles (and it was not sarcastic). I have argued that Heat and the amount of time schools have on the field may possibley influence coaches to think twice about doubles.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I agree. Four hours of practice per day, which is what Dixie does, is more than adequate if you are organized which our coaches are. The area that our kids have fallen short at in the past is off-season conditioning which is a totally different subject. If you can't impart all the needed info to your kids in four hours per day, then IMO you might need to think about making your schemes a bit less complicated. ;)

I don't know if Doubles are really due out of need or tradition, but they will be around longer than we will. When i was in highschool we had 3 weeks of doubles, both sessions in full pads and full contact. The only time we weren't were on 2nd and 3rd fridays when we had scrimmages those nights, then we were in shoulder pads and helmets.

Having played high school in Ky, played at the DIII NCAA level and having coached in both Ky and Ohio, I think the matter of two a days are beneficial to those who do not do anything at all in June or July. KY1234 makes a great point, and that is in Ohio, we only get seven practices before Aug 2, that includes passing leagues and what not. We can lift asnd run all we want, but we cannot do ANY FOOTBALL DRILLS. I think sometimes that if I ever did get a head coaching job in Ky, I would have a 2 hr. full pad/full contact practice in the morining from 9-11. Then give the 3 hr. mandatory break as required by the KHSAA that would be followed by an easy second practice in the afternoon. Mostly to consist of alignment, assingment, for both ofense and defense and some special teams, I would try to get the kids done for the day by 3:00. This is just me talking also, who am I? Just one coaches opinion.

I've seen coaches use two or three-a-days as a way to focus on various parts of the game - with the occasional 3rd practice when they work on special situations. Ex - practice 1 - Major focus on offensive plays, drills, techniques; practice 2 - Major focus on defensive issues; practice 3 - Major focus on special teams.