Two-a-days?

KY1234

With all the heat this year (and in past years) and the amount of time that KY has to practice in the summer and spring, will teams eventually get away from 2-a-days? Many have bashed Dixie for not practicing 2x a day but just maybe.... he is the smartest coach out there. If teams take advantage of spring football and all the opportunies available in summer, why are they necessary? In addition, health and safety are issues for all football programs.

I would think that many kids are sick and tired of football practice and ready to suit up. I would think it might be challenging for coaches to keep the motivation level up for these kids. When I played, there were no passing leagues and summer was for lifting and running and the first play wasnt put in until August 1. Now, most teams have the offense & defense in by August 1.

Any thoughts.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two a days have been going on as far back as I can remember. I for one enjoyed them. We hit it hard in the mornings in full pads and in the afternoon we went over the plays in shorts and helmet. It also gets hot in the summer and thats been happening as far back as I can remember.

No Coach wants a player to go down with a heat related illness. If a coach wants to practice twice a day I think they should do just that. If it is once a day so be it. In two weeks we will all forget about the heat anyway and want to see football. I guess I'm just old school when it was a weakness to drink water at practice. Boy were we stupid. No water at practice? That would get a coach put in jail in 2007.

To start with I want to say that I think the welfare of the student/athletes is the most important thing, and I know that some teenagers have died and I very much regret that and hope it never happens again.

I do not understand why this year, there is such a concern about heat. I know it is hot, it is always hot this time of year. The first three weeks of August are the hottest time of year in Kentucky. It has always been this way, the first regular season games have been moved back one week, to try to make for a more suitable environment for football games.

As for two-a-days, I doubt they will end. I do not think you have to have two-a-days to be a football team, but that time allows much to be done in a short about of time. I realize we now have passing leagues and spring practice, but coaches and players want and need repetitions. This time allows starters to sharpen themselves, and allows younger players to gain invaluable experience. It also allows for good conditioning, and acclamation to the hot weather. You can not practice in 65 degree weather, then play your first game in 90 degree weather. Talk about heat exhaustion. That would almost be criminal, definitely irresponsible.

I know some people will think that I am being insensitive, and maybe irresponsible, but for the most part, the players who have died during practice or games have died from a medical condition that they did not know they had secondary to heat exhaustion. I went to school with a young man whom I played football with. After any exertion his lips would turn blue. His parents took him to several doctors, who told them they could find nothing wrong. One year after I graduated he was found dead in his bed. Upon autopsy, it was found that he had a congenital heart condition that can only be diagnosed by autopsy. Most of the players who have died during practice or games have had similar problems.

If properly hydrated, players will have little, if any problems. This is the responsibility of the players, parents, and coaches alike. A player should report to practice well hydrated, hydration does not begin at the first water break. Parents and players should make sure this happens. It is the coaches and trainers responsibility to maintain that hydration as players sweat with frequent water breaks. If the above is done the heat will be no more then uncomfortable.

Now, please do not say how it is warmer now then in years before, as stated in another thread 1994 holds 16 records for high temperature. So, it has been hotter, and August will continue to be hot.

I am not saying practice and let them drop like flies. I am saying let them practice, and the coaches should act responsibly, if it is to hot then act accordingly.

This was not typed with anger or discontent, just my opinion.

In OHIO, you get 7 days (Helmets, no other pads) to do football instruction during the summer. Then doubles begin in August (and the first three days are non contact days).

Counting two-a-days, if you scrimmaged this week vs an Ohio opponent, the Ohio team had 7 days in summer and 8 two a days (16 practices), totalling 23 practices - 13 with no contact. (Their first day was last Thursday).

The KY team would have 10 spring sessions, about 15 June sessions, about 15July sessions and about 20 August practices, totalling around 60 practice sessions - and plenty of them with contact.

I guess my point is not that it is so hot - but is there a point where too much practice opportunity is just too much?

In OHIO, you get 7 days (Helmets, no other pads) to do football instruction during the summer. Then doubles begin in August (and the first three days are non contact days).

Counting two-a-days, if you scrimmaged this week vs an Ohio opponent, the Ohio team had 7 days in summer and 8 two a days (16 practices), totalling 23 practices - 13 with no contact. (Their first day was last Thursday).

The KY team would have 10 spring sessions, about 15 June sessions, about 15July sessions and about 20 August practices, totalling around 60 practice sessions - and plenty of them with contact.

I guess my point is not that it is so hot - but is there a point where too much practice opportunity is just too much?

I would like to compare the KY high school practice schedule to that of a college football program. Any college players out there? What is your schedule like???

Now this is a better argument, that I can wrap my little brain around. I would like to see you compare a college football practice schedule and a high school basketball practice schedule with the practice schedule of a Kentucky high school football practice schedule.

You got me confused on this one.

I dont know high school BB - but I imagine it is 48 out of the 52 weeks of a year (in season, off season, summer, select, etc).

College football - kids probably begin around mid August with the first game in early September. December off. Jan - May with the team in the weight room (spring ball for the D1's). Summer - they are responsible for their own.

You got me confused on this one.

I was serious. I would like to see the answer to your question about college football practice verses high school football practice.

I dont know high school BB - but I imagine it is 48 out of the 52 weeks of a year (in season, off season, summer, select, etc).

College football - kids probably begin around mid August with the first game in early September. December off. Jan - May with the team in the weight room (spring ball for the D1's). Summer - they are responsible for their own.

That is what I was thinking. High school basketball now goes year around. And college football has spring practice and have already, or very close to starting, started practice, and they have weights and conditioning the rest of the time.

I took my son to the University of Tennessee football camp and all of the UT team was there doing two hours of conditioning and agility drills, then mandatory weight lifting. This was is June. College football practice is year around as well.

High school football in Kentucky is not much different with other states. Kentucky teams have adapted to keep up with other states. Spring practice, summer passing league, two-a-days, camp, the season, and weights and conditioning all of the other time.

three a days... brings back memories from college... also was a great way to keep your team out of trouble too because in the evenings you were so tired all you wanted to do was drink water and go to sleep.
I've never prayed so much as when we were running sprints (and I retched) at the end of the 3rd practice of the day. Mostly I just prayed "Lord, take me now!"

What are Two-a-days really about? Endurance or learning the program? Same goes for 3-a-days.

Two-a-days are for getting a lot done in a short amount of time, conditioning, getting many repetitions, and commaradary.

I think some coaches "do unto others" as "they were done unto". In another words, putting kids thru doubles just because you went thru doubles. To run and work a kid so hard that he is praying to the Good Lord should not be the intent of any coach.

As far as Ky goes, I will believe that you are right - about keeping up with other states. Ohio is probably just behind the times.

I am not trying to argue against - just striking up some good conversation. I loved double sessions in high school and those days are some of the fondest of my life.

I just think that there needs to be a good balance between doing them and overdoing them!

Many of the local schools around here play on that turf and that adds a few degrees to the temperature. And when your on that turf, you are on the game field which probably means there arent too many shade trees around.

Hopefully the coaches are giving the kids TONS of water.