July 29, 200719 yr I figured instead of start 50 different threads about training camp stuff that we could do this.
July 29, 200719 yr Author Here is a good start.... Mark Curnutte: GEORGETOWN, Ky. -- Cornerback Leon Hall has arrived at training camp late this afternoon to sign a five-year contract, agent Doug Hendrickson said. The deal is for $13.6 million in maximum value with $8.2 million in guaranteed money. "Leon is very excited about getting to camp and helping the Bengals this year," Hendrickson said in an e-mail to The Enquirer. The first-round draft pick from Michigan, the last of seven picks to agree to terms, is expected to practice at 7 p.m. and talk with reporters afterward
July 29, 200719 yr Author Mark Curnutte: Wide receiver Chad Johnson and cornerback Deltha O'Neal continue to engage in a highly enteraining personal battle within the offense-defense 11-on-11 periods. O'Neal appears to be interested, at least at this point, of reverting to his 2005 form when he tied for the NFL lead with 10 interceptions. ... The other player the defense needs to have, middle linebacker Ahmad Brooks, continues to impress. He had what would have been a sack on a blitz and blew up a running play to the left by beating his blocker to the hole. Brooks has the opportunity to be a great NFL player.
July 29, 200719 yr Author http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6148 GEORGETOWN, Ky. - Ahmad Brooks has a new number befitting his new role as the Bengals starting linebacker. And No. 55 also seems to have a new first name. Call him If Ahmad Brooks. "If he puts it all together," Willie Anderson said, "he can be a monster. He can be as good as he wants to be. I was looking at the chart today. The guy is 270 pounds and ran a 4.6 40 back in the spring. He's one of the most talented guys on the team. But it could be all for naught if he doesn't apply himself." Brooks, still only 23, can tell you himself he has some unique skills. After Friday's first practice, that one where he said it was just good to get back into football breathing, Brooks detailed his daily observations on his laptop of every linebacker he can find. "I watch Urlacher," he said of the Bears Pro Bowler. "Just from my size, speed, quickness. All my attributes I have, he has too. I do watch him on tape just to see if he really is as good as they say he is. You can't take anything from him. I can't say I'm better than him on film. The only thing I can do is go prove it." Urlacher goes 6-4, 258 and is one of the NFL's faces. Brooks is 6-4, 270 and is just another face in the Bengals huddle. He knows that has to change. Veterans like defensive end Justin Smith told Brooks back in the spring that it's not just any huddle. "They were telling me that's my huddle," Brooks said. "But I'm really not that kind of player. I'm not an emotional kind of guy. I'm not vocal. That's not my thing. A guy like Chad (Johnson), if he's not talking, he's miserable. ... I'm not that way." "If you look what he did last year in games he played, Tampa Bay (14 tackles), Carolina (eight tackles), he's a baller and he didn't know what he was doing," Thornton said. "He didn't play at the end because they couldn't afford any mistakes, but it can be his defense. That's what the 'mike' linebacker does. He can become that guy." Robinson, who played with a rookie Urlacher in Chicago, says Brooks is simply a young guy who has done a good job learning the system, and he believes he can grow into that role. Thurman, who won't return and line up next to Brooks, made a lot of mistakes in '05. "But the good ones have a short memory," Robinson said. "That's the great thing about Odell. He'd make a mistake and then make an interception on the next play." Brooks has no memory of late last season because he barely played. The coaches weren't enamored of his study habits and special teams coach Darrin Simmons wasn't fond of his attention in that area. It seems to have changed. Just look back to a year ago to this practice when he showed up a scant two weeks after being taken in the third round of the supplemental draft. "I didn't know what I was doing," Brooks said. "I didn't even know how long we would practice. I didn't know what we would do in practice or when. And I hadn't done football stuff. All I had done was conditioning." Anderson thinks he sees something else. It's why he has become a marked man in the first few days of camp. In one of the first position drills, defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan spotted Brooks and told him what to do with No. 55. "Tuck your shirt in, Ahmad," he told him. "Look like a pro." If he does ... .
July 29, 200719 yr ^^6-4, 270 and runs a 4-6 40. That is amazing. I hope he makes me forget Thurman. I am going down today and I will be looking for #55.
July 29, 200719 yr When I still lived in Frankfort, I used to go to their camp every year...Even though Im not really a Benagls fan, I wouldn't mind going back to Georgetown to check them out.
July 29, 200719 yr Levi and Willie not able to go yet. They both say they'll be ready for the opener.
July 29, 200719 yr ^^6-4, 270 and runs a 4-6 40. That is amazing. I hope he makes me forget Thurman. I am going down today and I will be looking for #55. Let us know how they look
July 29, 200719 yr Let us know how they look They looked pretty good. Seen Hall get put on his butt pretty hard today.Seen a lot of good hits today. Can't believe how fast Brooks is.They had him also running down field on punt coverage. Irons looked really good running the ball.
July 30, 200719 yr I also got to watch the team do thier annual Oklahoma drill. Hard to see a lot of it as the whole team circles it. There was a whole lot of yelling and cheering.
July 30, 200719 yr ^^ What is that? One defensive player taking on a blocker and a running back. They start this about 5 yards apart with a lane set up with cones about 7 yards wide. They only do this once a year in camp. Gets pretty nasty. Marvin only does this once because they would end up with alot of injured players.
July 30, 200719 yr I want to take my brother to training camp. What time should I get down there? They have a schedule on the Bengals web site. I will be going again. I would suggest going during the week. I heard that they have around a 1000 people show up. I went on Sunday and there was about 3000. Next Sat. is the Black Orange game and will be crowded. If your going to try and get your brother autograghs go during the week:thumb:
July 30, 200719 yr One defensive player taking on a blocker and a running back. They start this about 5 yards apart with a lane set up with cones about 7 yards wide. They only do this once a year in camp. Gets pretty nasty. Marvin only does this once because they would end up with alot of injured players. What you heard was Chad going up against Eric Henderson. Chad was going to call out Jeanty until he saw him layout Reggie Kelly. :lol: There's an article on the Bengals website about it.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.