Does the Big East need to expand?

RowdyRedRam

As to the theme of the thread, I do not know.

The teams in the Big East for football are in a good situation, and they know it. Not a lot of teams to compete against, no conference championship, a relatively easier path to a BCS game than most other power conferences.

So, if I were part of the Big East (football), I would not want expansion. However, most in other conferences would like to see a few more teams.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Temple USED to play football in the Big East and Basketball in the A-10. My point is that it wouldn't be unprecedented for a school to play different sports in other conferences. The implication that it can't happen is factually wrong.

And yes I was serious, UK plays soccer in a different conference, I didn't think that was so controversial, I feel like I offended you.[/QUOTE]

No, you didn't offend me. I was just talking about using soccer conferences as a guideline. Several non-revenue type sports: soccer, hockey, lacrosse etc. are played as club sports at some of the bigger colleges so that their Title 9 obligations are fulfilled so several colleges play in different conferences for those type sports than for basketball, football etc. It isn't unprecedented for it to happen in basketball and football, that is true. However, give me an example where a conference, in which all (or at least the vast majority) of it's members played Division 1 Football AND Basketball, allowed a member school to leave for a better conference in one sport yet stay in the others. It just ain't gonna happen--do you really think that C-USA is going to say to ECU or SMU "That's okay go on to the Big East in football, keep all of your share of the BCS money then come back and play basketball with us. We won't mind that we now have to find another school(s) to play football with us so we can have a full schedule." That just will not happen, if they want to play football in the Big East they're going to be shown the door in all sports.

Does Villanova have plans to move their football program up to D-I anytime soon? I could be completely wrong but I thought I remembered hearing that they had a pretty decent team.

That's a pretty good question. They've went 6-5, 4-7, 6-5, 7-4 and 11-4 the last 5 years and they've played a D-1 school each of the last 2 seasons and they play Maryland this year. IMO teams like this are the best chance for the Big East to expand in football.

Call me crazy, but I'd want Notre Dame.

I would make the most sense as ND is already a Big East participant in every other sport. I think the Irish would be hard pressed to get to agree to join unless they somehow lose their special BCS inclusion provisions, which I don't see happening as long as they continue to be a cash cow.

I do feel that expanding beyond 8 members would do a lot to add to the credibility of the Big East. Whether it is accurate or not I think in a lot of fans eyes the winner of the Big 12, SEC, and even Big 10 are seen as being more of a legitimate champions due to better competition and having to play in a championship game.

Personally I think that all conferences with guarenteed BCS berths should have to have a championship game. It would put everybody on a level playing field so to speak. Even though I am a fan and doubt it would never happen the NCAA, BCS, should probably but pressure on Notre Dame to join a conference instead of continuing to give them special treatment. However, if this happens, I would rather see them in the Big 10 than the Big East.

I would make the most sense as ND is already a Big East participant in every other sport. I think the Irish would be hard pressed to get to agree to join unless they somehow lose their special BCS inclusion provisions, which I don't see happening as long as they continue to be a cash cow.

I do feel that expanding beyond 8 members would do a lot to add to the credibility of the Big East. Whether it is accurate or not I think in a lot of fans eyes the winner of the Big 12, SEC, and even Big 10 are seen as being more of a legitimate champions due to better competition and having to play in a championship game.

Personally I think that all conferences with guarenteed BCS berths should have to have a championship game. It would put everybody on a level playing field so to speak. Even though I am a fan and doubt it would never happen the NCAA, BCS, should probably but pressure on Notre Dame to join a conference instead of continuing to give them special treatment. However, if this happens, I would rather see them in the Big 10 than the Big East.

Big Ten is where they should/would go IMO if they were to join a conference.

My understanding is that there are talks on going to have Army and Navy join as affiliated members of the Big East in Football. Sort of on the Notre Dame model, they will stay independents but will play four games against Big East oppenents every year, two home and two away and flip flop who they play each year so it would fill the important "9th" memeber role needed to balance the schedules so that each team has an even number of home games each year. So in other words one year Army might play @Louisville, Cincy @USF Rutgers and Navy would play @ WVU, Syracuse, @Pitt, UConn, the next year Army would play WVU, @Syracuse, Pitt, @UConn and Navy would play Louisville,@ Cincy USF @Rutgers and then the next year the cycle would start over except the homes and aways would be reversed.

It would give the Big East more leverage for more lucritive bowl tie ins and more number of bowl tieins, it would benifit the Service Academies because they would keep automatic bowl ties and allow them to keep independent status while filling four slots every year ( that combined with the service rivals they play anyway should put them in the same boat with every other team in the country as far as how many OOC games they have to fill, giving them schedule freedom they want with the guarenteed East coast travel cost they need. It gives the Big East teams the "9th" member schedule slot against a nationally followed team almost clinching more time on ESPN and ESPNU alaong with money making home games. (cause even when they stink, the community comes out to see the service Academies play) It is a win win, if it happens. Of course it could bite the Big East in one possibility, if Notre Dame takes the Big East slot in the Gator bowl and the Service academies take two other bowl slots you could have a one loss Big East runner up playing in the Internationl bowl or some none sense.

My understanding is that there are talks on going to have Army and Navy join as affiliated members of the Big East in Football. Sort of on the Notre Dame model, they will stay independents but will play four games against Big East oppenents every year, two home and two away and flip flop who they play each year so it would fill the important "9th" memeber role needed to balance the schedules so that each team has an even number of home games each year. So in other words one year Army might play @Louisville, Cincy @USF Rutgers and Navy would play @ WVU, Syracuse, @Pitt, UConn, the next year Army would play WVU, @Syracuse, Pitt, @UConn and Navy would play Louisville,@ Cincy USF @Rutgers and then the next year the cycle would start over except the homes and aways would be reversed.

It would give the Big East more leverage for more lucritive bowl tie ins and more number of bowl tieins, it would benifit the Service Academies because they would keep automatic bowl ties and allow them to keep independent status while filling four slots every year ( that combined with the service rivals they play anyway should put them in the same boat with every other team in the country as far as how many OOC games they have to fill, giving them schedule freedom they want with the guarenteed East coast travel cost they need. It gives the Big East teams the "9th" member schedule slot against a nationally followed team almost clinching more time on ESPN and ESPNU alaong with money making home games. (cause even when they stink, the community comes out to see the service Academies play) It is a win win, if it happens. Of course it could bite the Big East in one possibility, if Notre Dame takes the Big East slot in the Gator bowl and the Service academies take two other bowl slots you could have a one loss Big East runner up playing in the Internationl bowl or some none sense.

The Big East is trying to get even weaker...and most people said it was impossible...