5A Football 2007

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all comes down to who has more depth in this class. That will obviously go to the teams up North. Most teams in this class in Central and Eastern Ky will only dress max of 40. It will take a solid and healthy team going into the playoffs to compete.

I do not know much about the western teams, please give some feedback.

It all comes down to who has more depth in this class. That will obviously go to the teams up North. Most teams in this class in Central and Eastern Ky will only dress max of 40. It will take a solid and healthy team going into the playoffs to compete.

I do not know much about the western teams, please give some feedback.

I agree. We all have been well versed on the mighty teams from the North. Whom are we going to see in the championship representing the wicked West?

What level of competition are they going to face early on to serve as the "litmus test" for the state ring? I am always ready for a road trip...

Untill somebody in WKY beats Bowling Green they are the top dog in the west. Owensbore does have a good core coming back and should be the favorite in their district. Hoptown has looked impressive during 7 on 7 tournaments this summer. Made the finial 4 last week at Western Kentucky, finish 2nd last night at Austin Pea and tie 1st place at Greenwood boarder war several weeks ago. Christian County might struggle early on but will get better as the season goes on.

Look for another strong season from Johnson Central this year. It will be tough to replace Blake Johnson and Michael Tackett, but I believe some of the young guys will step in nicely. Shawn Grimm is back as is JK Ratliff. I look for it to come down to Johnson Central and Cov Cath/Highlands as to who will represent the East.

There should be several teams from West KY that look pretty good, Hop'town, Christian County, and Bowling Green, but the Owensboro Red Devils are the team to watch. They have 20 seniors returning and should showcase one of the best defenses in the state. :ylsuper:

I agree with Owensboro being very solid and most likely the team to beat..They always have very good athletes and there #s have been better the past couple of years...The question with them is on the offensive side of the ball...There defense should be outstanding... BGreen will be good but down in comparison to the last 2 years... Hopkinsville was very young last year and got better as the season went along and will be solid on offense but have to shore up some of there defensive problems from a year ago... Christian Co, as always, will be very athletic, but, lose there playmakers and the newcomers are an unknown factor at this point... W Central will struggle early, but, as the season wears on, will keep getting better and should be a contender by playoff time...

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me to see any of these 5 come out of this region...Alot of balanced and athletic teams...

Look for another strong season from Johnson Central this year. It will be tough to replace Blake Johnson and Michael Tackett, but I believe some of the young guys will step in nicely. Shawn Grimm is back as is JK Ratliff. I look for it to come down to Johnson Central and Cov Cath/Highlands as to who will represent the East.

I hear there could be interest in Ratliff from UK.

I agree with Owensboro being very solid and most likely the team to beat..They always have very good athletes and there #s have been better the past couple of years...The question with them is on the offensive side of the ball...There defense should be outstanding... BGreen will be good but down in comparison to the last 2 years... Hopkinsville was very young last year and got better as the season went along and will be solid on offense but have to shore up some of there defensive problems from a year ago... Christian Co, as always, will be very athletic, but, lose there playmakers and the newcomers are an unknown factor at this point... W Central will struggle early, but, as the season wears on, will keep getting better and should be a contender by playoff time...

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me to see any of these 5 come out of this region...Alot of balanced and athletic teams...

Unless I'm wrong their entire offensive line will be returning starter who are seniors. I also expect Shemwell to step in for Hall at RB without missing a beat.

I hear there could be interest in Ratliff from UK.

I had not heard that...but it would be an outstanding opportunity for him to say the least. For UK to offer him a scholarship he needs to show more poise in the pocket and develop better field vision and accuracy. He definitely has the body and arm for a D-1 QB.

You can't be from the Owensboro area, because you would know that Shemwell is not even in Hall's league, NO SPEED:fire: But like I said earlier, they will be fine!

Actually I've been a resident of Owensboro for almost my entire life. Furthermore I probably saw about half of the Red Devils games last season, even ventured over to the Reitz Bowl for that abysmal offensive performance against Mater Dei.

I don't see how you can really compare a senior to a sophmore who only saw limited playing time, however, by the end of the season it was clear that Shemwell was the #2 RB for the Red Devils and although I have no inside information regarding the Owensboro program as an outsider I would suspect that Shemwell has put himself in good position to become the starting RB this season.

No doubt that Nick Hall is a very talented football player and had an excellent season last year. He carried the ball 262 times for 1776 yards and 24 TD's. That should put him in pretty elite company across the state. However, if the Red Devils OL is as good as I've heard it should be, I believe that Shemwell should not have any trouble stepping in a being very successful this season. I'm sure he is improving as he gets older, obviously he impressed his coaches as the season went along last year considering that he did not receive any carries in the first 4 games, and appeared to rise to the #2 RB by the end of the season.

While he only received 21 carriers for 147 yards and 3 TD's, those stats equate to a 7.0 yds per carry avg. (Hall was 6.7) He appears to have adquate speed to play RB. At least to me he appear to have sufficient speed on the basketball court, even starting as a Sophmore for a regional championship team.

I guess we will just have to wait and see how well he does this season. I'll be at all of the Border Bowl games so I expect we will know more at that point if he indeed is the feature back for OHS this season.

Unless I'm wrong their entire offensive line will be returning starter who are seniors. I also expect Shemwell to step in for Hall at RB without missing a beat.

I know they have several linemen returning, but, not all of them... IMO, they struggled on the offensive end against the better teams...Being a year older in the line will definately help, but, they'll still need to get alot better than last year to come out of the region...There's 5 very solid teams and whoever comes out there will definately earn it... I could see all 5 being top 10 teams at some point in the season...

BGHS will have three tough early tests against Boyle Co (at WKU), at Trinity, and the home opener against North Hardin. If they can get through that at 2-1, I feel like they will have an excellent shot at going back to Louisville in December. However, Warren Central out of our own district along with Hoptown, Owensboro, and Christian Co will have a lot to say about that!

Good to hear about Owensboro being mentioned among the favorites this year again...to this old timer, Western Kentucky hs football just isn't the same without them making a run each year!:D