12 players Walkout & Quit @ Graves Co

12 girls walked off the court @ Graves Counties first summer practice after a former star player that had been kicked off the team for all of last season was allowed to return. Since the players walked out there has been coverage on the circus of events by the local Mayfield Messenger, Paducah Sun and WPSD-TV, the local NBC affiliate.

The players and parents who walked out are asking for the coach to be fired and say the incident involves other things that have gone on with current coach Jeff Stokes. The Graves Admn. has stated they stand behind the coach and offered a meeting last week but none of the players showed up for the meeting.

Anyone out there have any info on this mess?

Graves reportedly has 23 players in the program now ... most of the ones left after the walkout are freshmen. At the moment, it looks like Graves will build around returning star Brittany Young with maybe one or two experienced teammates and a bunch of freshmen.

Sounds like a huge sacrifice to give up the high school season over 1 player you don't like. I would say many will regret decision down the road, but I do not know anything any details.
There are legitimate reasons the players might not want her on the team ... nothing we can go into detail about here.

It's very apparent, though, that this is more about the coach than the player in question. The players and their parents have admitted as much.

In stories like these, usually 3 sides....His side, their side and somewhere in the middle, a balance of events.

Don't know the reason, the player was off the team, nor why they returned but Coaches are in place, to manage the team and not players.

In stories like these, usually 3 sides....His side, their side and somewhere in the middle, a balance of events.

Don't know the reason, the player was off the team, nor why they returned but Coaches are in place, to manage the team and not players.

Strike, I respectively disagree. Coaches have to deal with on court and off court issues. Yes, they are in place to manage the team, but sometimes it is necassary to manage a player or players.

In this case, maybe the coach felt that she deserved a second chance. And I can handle that as a parent. Support this player.

Strike, I respectively disagree. Coaches have to deal with on court and off court issues. Yes, they are in place to manage the team, but sometimes it is necessary to manage a player or players.

In this case, maybe the coach felt that she deserved a second chance. And I can handle that as a parent. Support this player.

I'm with you....:thumb: What I meant and didn't clearly state was, the "Players should not manage the team, but the Coach should"....

From last year.....

Courtesy of the Paducah Sun:

Graves County basketball star Brittany Young, one of the First Region’s top players, won’t be with the Lady Eagles this season, although the door is open for a potential return to the team when she is a senior.

“The door is closed this year,” Graves coach Jeff Stokes said on Monday, after his team’s first official practice. “It’s a violation of team policy. As for next year, it’s a possibility that she could come back.” Young averaged 22 points as a sophomore and was generally considered the First Region’s top guard last season. She led Graves to a 23-6 record, including a 34-point performance in a win over state-ranked Christian County in early December, one night after she scored 28 in a victory over defending regional champion Paducah Tilghman.

It doesn't sound like the coach is doing anything against what he said earlier. Maybe these players just have a personal bias against him.

From last year.....

It doesn't sound like the coach is doing anything against what he said earlier. Maybe these players just have a personal bias against him.

It sounds like it.

I could go in more detail but I don't want to break any rules talking about HS players.

From last year.....

Agree completley. I'm sure the parents had as much to do wit it as rhe players. Everyone doesn't have to like all their teammates, just play as a team together. Noticed in one post no one showed up at a scheduled meeting set up by the school. Sounds like the "walkouts" don't want to discuss issue, just react. I say play with the girls that show up.

. Everyone doesn't have to like all their teammates, just play as a team together. Noticed in one post no one showed up at a scheduled meeting set up by the school. Sounds like the "walkouts" don't want to discuss issue, just react. I say play with the girls that show up.

Not all the girls knew about the meeting. The admiminstrators even said that in the paper.

It is one thing not to like a teammate but it is another not to be able to trust your own teammates.

I know of a similar situation but just the opposite. The teammates welcomed the player back and the coach let the player back on the team(the next yr) after walking out during a game but then obviously held the power of "to play or not to play!"