Reds file grievance against Nats

CLEVELAND -- The Reds have formally filed a grievance against the Nationals in a nearly year-long dispute that alleges damaged goods were received when they acquired reliever Gary Majewski.

According to sources of the Washington Post, Major League officials have begun speaking with people from both teams regarding the case.

"We're looking into the matter," MLB spokesman Mike Teevan told the Post on Friday. "There's no firm deadline by which we have to reach a decision."

On July 13, 2006, Majewski, reliever Bill Bray, shortstop Royce Clayton and two Minor Leaguers were acquired by the Reds in an eight-player trade that sent outfielder Austin Kearns, shortstop Felipe Lopez and reliever Ryan Wagner to the Nationals.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070519&content_id=1973651&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caveat emptor!

How can you blame another team for making a bad trade? Didn't the Reds do any due diligence on their purchase? How could they not know about his shoulder problems? I'm assuming that the trading team signs off that on the player's health.

Caveat emptor!

How can you blame another team for making a bad trade? Didn't the Reds do any due diligence on their purchase? How could they not know about his shoulder problems? I'm assuming that the trading team signs off that on the player's health.

If the other team intentionally concealed an injury in which they were fully aware of its existence.

But even if Bray and Majewski were both healthy - and even despite the current woeful status of the Reds bullpen - it was a stupid trade. You don't give up what the Reds did for two middle relievers, one of whom was a rookie, and a washed up, throwaway SS. I think Castellini is going to be a big plus for the Reds, but I am not at all sold on Krivsky. I'll give him credit for Arroyo, but can't live on that trade forever.

Kearns is hitting .255 with 4 HR and 16 RBI's

Lopez is hitting .241 with 2 HR and 9 RBI's

Man I wish we still had these guys around

There are also hitting in one of the hardest parks in baseball. We traded an all star wasn't lopez? and an every day starting OF for 2 minor league pitchers. We got the what 8/9th best pitching prospects in Wash's system at the time?