Best Current Coach?

Everyone that has been named, other than JD Strange and John D. Wilson, are at big schools that have a lot of talent. There are 50 guys who are head coaches that could do what Hicks and the rest have done with the talent that the big boys coach.

Bottom line=talent wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not so sure about that.. big schools also have bigger problems....you can't say that about Coach Hicks... he started at a small school. worked/won his way up the ladder....Maybe that should be a criteria..won at all levels...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Billy Hicks didn't coach Harlan in the All A Classic ... Mike Jones did.

I haven't seen many teams in the state with the talent that Scott County had this season. No one denies that coaching plays a role in their success, but it has as much to do with talent as anything else.

I thought his Harlan team won it 1 year under Hicks. I know Jones did at Harlan. I believe they atleast made it far in the All A 1 year.

As for coaching and talent it does require both. But good talent without good coaching will not get you very far at all. As for the talent that Scott County had this season, you can see where the talent has been developed. Scott Co. was very good fundamentally, but was not as athletic as several teams they played in the state. Scott County beat people by being fundamentally sound, able to run a play when needed and playing shutdown defense.

But Scott County also had two juniors that played Division I basketball in Jones and A.W. Hamilton. The next season, Scott had three future D-I players (Scott Hundley was the second Mr. Basketball transfer) and didn't win the state title.

It wasn't as if those teams were lacking talent.

Now if you saw Jones, Hamilton, and Hundley play much you know these were kids that had to work very hard to make it into college. These players were not gifted like Darius Miller, Preston Knowles, or Bud Mackey are. I think you are making another strong argument for why Coach Hicks is probably right at the top when it comes to coaching in this state.

I never said that these guys weren't good coaches and didn't work hard. It still boils down to talent. I'll take any pro team and you (or for that matter name your best coach, pro, college high school) take any college team. My team will win every time.

I thought his Harlan team won it 1 year under Hicks. I know Jones did at Harlan. I believe they atleast made it far in the All A 1 year.
Billy Hicks was at Corbin when the All A Classic became a statewide tournament. Harlan was never a factor in it until Mike Jones became the coach and the Green Dragons had guys like Charles Thomas, Todd Cox and Michael Jones.

As for coaching and talent it does require both. But good talent without good coaching will not get you very far at all. As for the talent that Scott County had this season, you can see where the talent has been developed. Scott Co. was very good fundamentally, but was not as athletic as several teams they played in the state. Scott County beat people by being fundamentally sound, able to run a play when needed and playing shutdown defense.
No one disputes that, least of all me ... but the Cardinals certainly had a deep, fine collection of talent.

Now if you saw Jones, Hamilton, and Hundley play much you know these were kids that had to work very hard to make it into college. These players were not gifted like Darius Miller, Preston Knowles, or Bud Mackey are. I think you are making another strong argument for why Coach Hicks is probably right at the top when it comes to coaching in this state.
I saw them all play, and they were talented players, too ... hard work just made them better.

Rick Jones had a 30-point game in the state tournament before he came to Scott County ... he was already a fine player when he moved to Georgetown. Hundley was a good-looking young player at Dunbar.

Did those guys develop further under Hicks? Sure they did, but let's not pretend that those guys became the players they did strictly because of their time at Scott County.

I saw them all play, and they were talented players, too ... hard work just made them better.

Rick Jones had a 30-point game in the state tournament before he came to Scott County ... he was already a fine player when he moved to Georgetown. Hundley was a good-looking young player at Dunbar.

Did those guys develop further under Hicks? Sure they did, but let's not pretend that those guys became the players they did strictly because of their time at Scott County.[/QUOTE]

I am not saying they did, but if you watched Rick Jones before he came to Scott Co, he shot a set shot. After he got to Scott Co he developed into a jumpshooter that IMO propelled him to being a D-1 player. These 3 were all good players, but none of them had really great ability.

Basically what I am saying is Coach Hicks has won at every level with and without very good players. He is established as arguably the top coach in the state.

Basically what I am saying is Coach Hicks has won at every level with and without very good players. He is established as arguably the top coach in the state.
Again, no one here disputes that. But there are others in the discussion, too.

Again, no one here disputes that. But there are others in the discussion, too.

I agree, but I do think he is the top guy right now. Everyone is entitled to their opinions though. I am simply arguing that he is not just a good coach because of players. You have to have both athletic kids and a good coach to teach them the game properly in order to win IMO.

Other top notch coaches have to include Mabrey (PRP), Listerman (CovCath), Danny Haney (even though he is out of the state...I still predict he will be back), Mike Mendenhall (new Frosh coach at Catholic and long time Middle School coach, just a few I respect in the area...may not like who they coach fo....but respect.

It still boils down to talent.

There are 50 guys who are head coaches that could do what Hicks and the rest have done with the talent that the big boys coach.

Here is a couple quotes for Hoopsrbest. I completely disagree that there are 50 other coaches even close to Coach Hicks. And as I have said, he has done it at every level.

It still boils down to talent.

There are 50 guys who are head coaches that could do what Hicks and the rest have done with the talent that the big boys coach.

Here is a couple quotes for Hoopsrbest. I completely disagree that there are 50 other coaches even close to Coach Hicks. And as I have said, he has done it at every level.

He hasnt been successful at the college level....