fieldhousekrayzie21

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I guess everyone is saying it is worth seeing? I loved Braveheart, is it better? What movie would you compare it to?

I would say Braveheart is the better movie, but is also my favorite movie of all-time.

300 doesn't compare closely to any movie you've ever seen. It's based on history, but is mixed nicely with fantasy. It's purely entertainment, with a somewhat historical perspective. To be honest, the storyline is actually twisted a little bit to make the movie more interesting. The movie is about the Battle of Thermopylae between Spartans and the Persian army. In the real battle King Leonidas of Sparta actually took 7-10 thousand Spartans to the Hot Gates to try and hold off 100 thousand Persians, which is very courageous. When Leonidas and Sparta was betrayed by Ethaltes (spelling??) they knew they were doomed, so Leonidas sent all but 300 troops back to Sparta, and the rest stayed to die on the battlefield.

The movie would have you believe that 300 fought the entire Persian army, with the help of a few Arcadians, and that only a handful stayed to die on the battlefield.

None the less, I very much enjoyed the movie.

I would say Braveheart is the better movie, but is also my favorite movie of all-time.

300 doesn't compare closely to any movie you've ever seen. It's based on history, but is mixed nicely with fantasy. It's purely entertainment, with a somewhat historical perspective. To be honest, the storyline is actually twisted a little bit to make the movie more interesting. The movie is about the Battle of Thermopylae between Spartans and the Persian army. In the real battle King Leonidas of Sparta actually took 7-10 thousand Spartans to the Hot Gates to try and hold off 100 thousand Persians, which is very courageous. When Leonidas and Sparta was betrayed by Ethaltes (spelling??) they knew they were doomed, so Leonidas sent all but 300 troops back to Sparta, and the rest stayed to die on the battlefield.

The movie would have you believe that 300 fought the entire Persian army, with the help of a few Arcadians, and that only a handful stayed to die on the battlefield.

None the less, I very much enjoyed the movie.

I am a sucker for historical based movies, even though it might sway from the truth.

Saving Private Ryan is in my top 10...:thumb:

I am a sucker for historical based movies, even though it might sway from the truth.

Saving Private Ryan is in my top 10...:thumb:

I didn't know that was based on a true story...how much truth is in it?

I didn't know that was based on a true story...how much truth is in it?

The plot is inspired in part by the true story of Fritz Niland, one of four brothers from New York state who saw action during the war. Two Niland brothers were killed on D-Day, while another went missing in action in Burma and was presumed dead, although he actually survived. Fritz was located in Normandy by an Army chaplain, Reverend Francis Sampson, and taken out of the combat zone.

http://search.eb.com/privateryan/page1.html

My biggest problem with 300 was the slow motion. I'm sure they felt like they needed to use a lot of it to show off the artistic style, but man I thought there was way too much. I feel like it's a cheap way to wow people. I guess I just feel the same way about slow motion in movies as I do with bullet time in video games, it bores me. I'm not saying all of the action was in slow motion, but I felt like a lot of it was. Still a very good movie.

The plot is inspired in part by the true story of Fritz Niland, one of four brothers from New York state who saw action during the war. Two Niland brothers were killed on D-Day, while another went missing in action in Burma and was presumed dead, although he actually survived. Fritz was located in Normandy by an Army chaplain, Reverend Francis Sampson, and taken out of the combat zone.

http://search.eb.com/privateryan/page1.html

Thanks!!:thumb:

Uhh, the sex scene between Leonidas and his wife.

Is the scene with the young oracle not erotic???

By the way...the scene with Leonidas and his wife demonstrated some of her greatest attributes.:D

• 2 months later...
So this just came out on DVD today.....Anyone else get it?

Got it today, looking forward to watching it. I got it through Netflix, so I didn't get the 2nd disc of special features which is fine. Zack Snyder did a pretty good commentary on the Dawn of the Dead remake and I will be looking forward to listening to his commentary on this film.