Needing a new coach at St. Patrick

My daughter tells me what is said and what goes on in the locker room and I am almost positive that it gets misconstrued before she gets home. I came to realize last season after a discussion with the head coach that what is said and what is brought home isn't always the same.

Two things:

First, You are absolutely 100% correct.

Second, I am also encouraged that you posted this position.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I was one of those parents who believed that my child was always right and that she was being picked on when she wasn't playing as much as other players. After talking to the coach I realized that her attitude and work ethic in practice had lessened and she was at fault for her decreasing playing time.

Well, I was one of those parents who believed that my child was always right and that she was being picked on when she wasn't playing as much as other players. After talking to the coach I realized that her attitude and work ethic in practice had lessened and she was at fault for her decreasing playing time.

Don't feel bad, you have a lot of company in that grouping.

What is great is that you realize that. Too many times, parents never make that revelation.

One of my favorite stories to tell happened last year. Friend of mine was upset that his daughter did not play enough. Came to me and asked what to do and I gave him some points to consider.

Fast forward to the spring and I am coaching a spring league team with my daughter and his daughter. First two practices he came to and after the second one I hear him tell his daughter, "No wonder you never played under Coach T*(&(&, you are lazy. I wouldn't play you either. You don't work. You stand too much of the time."

It opened his eyes to what she does in practice and how she was earning playing time.

Fast forward to this spring and he is keeping book for me. He yells at his daughter to hustle down the floor. I lean over and tell him that I had told them to not fastbreak because we were up by over 20 points. She was my point guard and her job was to NOT breakout and look to push the ball because of the score. He said, "OH!"

About 10 minutes later, she shoots from the top of the key and he yells at her about taking a bad shot. I lean over and tell him she has to shoot that shot. The top of the 2-3 was not guarding the ball and making it very hard for us to get the ball in the lane where we wanted it. She has to either penetrate into them or make that shot to get them to come up and guard her. That way the lane is open where we want to get the ball. She can't be a threat there and she can't help us. So that was a good shot she took. He said, "Oh!"

Do coaches now days deliver a message to their players from the very beginning that what is said in behind closed doors stays behind those doors, in the locker room stays in the locker room, in the practice gym, stays in the gym and doesn't go home? I can see where things are misconstrued a bunch because a player is being addressed by their coach, could be in a way that the player doesn't like, but still needs to happen. Therefore that player doesn't like Coach anymore, so I think I will run home and tell my parents. I thought coaches put in their rules that this stuff doesn't travel home. Ok, back to reality now.......it does go home and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

Do coaches now days deliver a message to their players from the very beginning that what is said in behind closed doors stays behind those doors, in the locker room stays in the locker room, in the practice gym, stays in the gym and doesn't go home? I can see where things are misconstrued a bunch because a player is being addressed by their coach, could be in a way that the player doesn't like, but still needs to happen. Therefore that player doesn't like Coach anymore, so I think I will run home and tell my parents. I thought coaches put in their rules that this stuff doesn't travel home. Ok, back to reality now.......it does go home and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

You are telling me that I needed to tell my players that they are not to talk to their parents about things that go on in basketball????

That is an immediate to call to a board member when a player tells the parents that I, as coach, have forbidden them to talk to their parents about things happening with basketball.

You are telling me that I needed to tell my players that they are not to talk to their parents about things that go on in basketball????

That is an immediate to call to a board member when a player tells the parents that I, as coach, have forbidden them to talk to their parents about things happening with basketball.

I am not telling you anything, but if a player is being called upon for not putting forth 100% in practice, what I am saying is that should not be something that prompts a parent to discuss with a coach after he or she the player goes home and tells mommy or daddy.

okay, LBM, but if your daughter comes home and tells you something was said, and several other players also tell their parents the same thing, couldn't there be some truth to it?

For example....one of my children came home from kindergarden and told me something one day that was said by the teacher, totally unappropriate and I thought "surely the teacher would not have told a room of first graders that" and later that day I saw the grandfather of one of her classmates who asked about my child and how they were doing with school and I told him about the comment my child made and he said "well now that's strange, because I picked my grandson up today and he told me the same thing" soon other parents were telling the same story so I have to believe my child wasn't fabricating it. This btw was something that the teacher also told the kids not to tell their parents about.

I have a little more sense than to act on something just because my child said it was true....I usually check the story out first, not because I think my child lies, but I do believe children can get confused and tend to twist the facts sometimes. Usually when my child informs me of something that has happened that seems unusual, I will tell them to let it go, if it's not a big thing. But if it is something I think I should be concerned about, I will investigate it before I act on it.

Trust me I am not a parent who thinks their child can do no wrong. I am probably far too critical of my children, at times. They will gladly second that comment, I'm sure. When my children complain to me that they are not getting enough playing time (whatever the sport), my response is "then you need to practice harder, step up your game and earn more playing time." That's pretty much my atitude, if you want it - earn it.