UK Women's Job

hoopsrbest

Dawgs83, come back to reality hoss, look at female college athletics in general. I am not saying its right and I am making a big generalization but in this forum I feel like it is justified: It's everywhere in the female athletic world. Soccer,softball, swimming, track, basketball no female athletic sport is exempt from this (what I consider) problem. Its not going anywhere either, so you might as well take from someone who has learned a lesson from this and can continue the winning ways at UK.

Your right it is everywhere in womans sports. That doesnt excuse what she did. She crossed professional lines. Who is to say she wouldnt do it again. As the head coach she has a lot of power and influence on her players. An easy way of taking advantage of a young lady. Hiring Chatman would lower the standards to win at all cost for the UK womens program.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point, well stated. However, I dont think that the issue of her taking advantage of a young lady because she is in a position of power is a valid argument. These girls are grown women playing for a college or university. If they decide to have inappropriate relations (not contact but relations which takes two in an involved relationship) then how much harm is it really. It is inappropriate and she lost a 750,000 dollar a year job. I am sure that she has learned her lesson and will not jeopardize her career again and will seek the masses for companionship in the future. UK should consider this in hiring. Its just a very unique situation. It doesnt happen very often society is changing so often these days.

Good discussion. I guess we can agree to disagree. Yes they are adults. But an 18 yr old Young adult going to a major college and she has problems or needs support, the first person she will turn to is her coach. It's that coach's job to provide her with professional help and leadership. What if the relationship goes bad? Will the player still receive the same treatment or will she have to transfer. I guess Im negative but we give people second chances all the time only to committ the same crime over. I just think the UK program can do better.

Good discussion. I guess we can agree to disagree. Yes they are adults. But an 18 yr old Young adult going to a major college and she has problems or needs support, the first person she will turn to is her coach. It's that coach's job to provide her with professional help and leadership. What if the relationship goes bad? Will the player still receive the same treatment or will she have to transfer. I guess Im negative but we give people second chances all the time only to committ the same crime over. I just think the UK program can do better.

:thumb: Then you have to wonder if playing time becomes an issue. It's the same scenario as someone fooling around with boss, no matter what their sexual preference is. Would a male coach be given a quick second chance if he were the coach of a womens team and this were the case? Not usually. I do think Barnhart needs to make a hire and move forward here.

:fight:

I think a state like Kentucky would have a difficult time accepting Chatman after what happened, until she started winning some games. Winning will cure a lot of things.

I don't think a large portion of the fan base would have a problem with that hire...

I think the only resistance you would get to Chatman would be from outsiders who don't know much or don't follow women's basketball. You'd probably hear Merlene Davis chime in on it in opposition, but your average UK Hoops spectator would love the hire.

You know the truth is, Chatman will coach again, whether a big time program or at a program like Minnesota (sorry had to throw that in) she will coach again. If the opportunity presents itself and pokey is still out there for the catching, UK needs to explore that opportunity.

You know the truth is, Chatman will coach again, whether a big time program or at a program like Minnesota (sorry had to throw that in) she will coach again. If the opportunity presents itself and pokey is still out there for the catching, UK needs to explore that opportunity.

If you were a parent and the coach had been involved in a relationship with their players, would you want your daughter to go play for that coach?

I see this as a different situation...

Admittingly, I don't know the full story but understood that Coach Chatman was fired for having an inappropriate relationship with a player. How is that different from my scenario?

Male or female is no different. Would you want your daughter to play for a coach that had been fired for charges of having an inappropriate relationship with a player.

3-4 years from now, the story has died down, I think it is possible, but only a few weeks after the event, too close.