KY/IN All Star game

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy boys...I've got to agree with Jay Bilas on this one.:eek: Emily has already been asked by Coach Napier to attend the tryouts...and I'm sure Laura has as well...but thanks for your support!!:thumb:

How is this? and have all the girls that were not regional POY's already contacted? Call me dumb but update me on who Coach Napier is?

Let me see if I can put this thing to rest...and in so doing hopefully explain why so many were confused and upset at the vote...and believe that Emily is second to no one in the 16th Region...and quite possibly beyond.

Emily Queen has, for each week of the past four seasons...according to the published records in the ADI...led the 16th Region in scoring and rebounding. The exception to this is last season when her role on the team was changed and it was not necessary for her to contribute as much on the offensive end (Kala Faulkner led in scoring...Laura Terry ended the season in 2nd place...and Emily was 3rd). She did, however, continue to lead the region in rebounding. This season, she returned to her position as leader in both categories and maintained that leadership for each week of the season.

Admittedly, the Lady Royals did not win consistently until late in the season. However, they were facing as good or better competition as any team in the region and Emily was consistent in her play...and did so while being asked to move to the point guard position whenever Britt Faulkner would get into foul trouble.

She ended her career with 2907 points and 1513 rebounds (top 25 all- time scorer; top 10 all-time rebounder in the state's history)...and there have only been 3 girls in the state's history that have accumulated more combined points and rebounds in their careers. To put the matter into some perspective (and I say this with the utmost regard for Jessica Fortman and Laura Terry), Emily could have sat out the entire season and still no one among her peers in the 16th Region would have equaled the point and rebound total that she had already amassed...before she even began her senior season.

Those figures are not that important in and of themselves. The best thing about them is that they demonstrate the kind of consistent hard work and productivity that Emily is known for in the area.

What is hard to understand is this...that after all of that, she was still never recognized by the region's coaches...even though there has not been a POY in the last four seasons that had better season numbers than Emily for the year in which they were chosen as POY.

What I and others have wondered is this...by what standard of measurement was Emily deemed to be less than the best in the area? By career totals? By current year performance? By skill sets? By head-to-head match-ups against the Region's best teams? One would be hard pressed to make the case that by those standards, she was anything less than the best in this region.

For my part, I am convinced that there is not a coach in the area that, were she one of their's, would not have been just as confused and disappointed that she was not chosen. In the end, I tend to agree with Intentional Foul that much of the problem exists precisely because these matters are left to votes. For my part, you look at established measures of performance...and don't try to qualify the numbers to a meaningless state with "expert" analysis about matters other than on-the-court performances.

All that said...let me once again state my support and the support of Emily's fans in this household for Jessica and Laura. Both girls performed quite well in the All Star game...and I applaud them. They probably have demonstrated as much or more respect for what Emily has accomplished than did the voters...and that, along with the striving for such standards of excellence, are their own rewards.

Nice Post.

It really is unfathomable that someone can lead the region in scoring and rebounding , be the leading scorer in the history of that region, and lead her team to state twice ,not to ever be a POY.

It is always hard to argue with FACTS and STATS, unless of course you are one of those that goes by the saying " Don't confuse me with the facts I've already made up my mind".:sssh:

This will be the last thing I say about player of the year. Lets say Laura Terry wins not Jessica Fortman would Rose Hill be as upset as they are now.Something else I would like to know does it bother you that Terry was second not Queen.

In my opinion Terry finished where she should have based on this years performance. Queen 1, Terry 2.

I'm still trying to figure out how Pam Euton did what she did with such inferior talent. Russell was better at every position and Rose Hill beat them by double figures.

As the 16th region turns! We/someone could either write a book or do a soap opera on the trials and tributes of the 16th region. I appologize for starting this thread about the KY/IN ALL STAR GAME!

Spare me the dramatics. What's the problem? You and others can say what you want, when you want and when someone attempts to respond in a thoughtful and rational way, you imply that it is out of place or that in stepping beyond what you think should be the limits of the thread that one has violated some established protocol or BGP etiquette. May I remind you that this is what we do here...we consider, we write, we bounce ideas back and forth...and it is no different than any other conversation. When one grows tired of it, one walks away...but he shouldn't give the impression that those who want to "stay and talk" are out of place.

...and it really is not as big a deal as you and others may think. I've not lost any sleep about it. I lose more sleep about a turnover, or poor shot selection, or making the wrong pass...

How is this? and have all the girls that were not regional POY's already contacted? Call me dumb but update me on who Coach Napier is?

I can't speak to anyone other than my own daughter...and she was contacted by a fine fellow who said he will be conducting tryouts next month and asked her to attend. That it was done without your knowledge and that Coach Napier is a stranger to you is, once again, something that I cannot address. You think he was an imposter?!!:p Hey, we may have another controversy!!:lol:

Nice Post.

It really is unfathomable that someone can lead the region in scoring and rebounding , be the leading scorer in the history of that region, and lead her team to state twice ,not to ever be a POY.

It is always hard to argue with FACTS and STATS, unless of course you are one of those that goes by the saying " Don't confuse me with the facts I've already made up my mind".

Thanks. One might as well howl at the moon as to attempt to expose some conspiracy. No doubt there are some who for reasons that have been tossed around on BGP for years decide to vote "against" RH. I can't worry about that. I tend to think that there were simply more voters from others schools that were willing to pay for the right to vote...as is their right. I just disagree with their choice...as is my right.

Himmelfarb, you are so clever w/words and I will say very good at it. I tip my hat to you. However, don't read so much into my post. I thought your post was very good, saying the same thing which you have stated numerous times just in a different way. I should have put some dancing smiley faces on my last post as I was joking around regarding the drama always involved w/the 16th region that there could be a top selling book written or even a soap opera, it was in fun, loosen up. It's great that we stick up for our children especially when they are so talented and we feel they are not getting what they deserve.

I asked a question and then you mock me, so take what you say to heart and abide by what you are trying to tell me to do. I have no idea who Coach Napier is or even who is coaching the KY all star team this yr. I just find it odd that ONE girl has been contacted to attend the tryout when no one else has, or at least no one else is speaking up that they have. I really don't care who is invited. I have no horse in the race, my daughter is a Jr. I just hope that the best that KY has to offer is invited and chosen to play against IN so we do not get embarrassed.

I started this thread regarding the all star game, not to hear all the problems w/the 16th region voting again which was done on several other threads. I don't care if you all(16th region members) voice your opinions. As you said, this is what we do on hear, just do it on the right threads. We have been reading about the 16th region voting problems for weeks on several threads and as you suggested, I got away only to find it again here.

Simple question, who is Coach Napier and is he the coach of the all star team? Thank you!

There has been so much discussion about the inequities of the KABC voting for COY and POY, why don’t we just wait until the Daily Independent COY and POY are announced. For the DI awards, ONLY head coaches can vote. Lets face it, for the KABC awards everybody and their brother can vote – not just head coaches from the 16th region. Its almost a joke. In the KABC voting it seems there is some speculation that the head coaches have conspired against RH. If I were a betting man, I would wager that Queen WILL win the DI award and put this whole matter to rest. Some other things to consider regarding the integrity of 16th region coaches:

1)Terry won the Daily Independent POY last year (justified in my opinion due her season and post season stats)

2)Also I believe that Queen was voted by only the 16th region coaches to be the Daily Independent pre-season player of the year for this year. This was voted on in Sept or Oct I believe.

If the 16th region coaches have a vendetta against RH (specifically Queen or Terry) why did they receive this past recognition.

I don't think so. All one vote would have done is possibly move queen into a tie for 3rd. I'm sure Pam finished last in the voting. Professional male coaches don't like getting thumped by inexperienced females.

In response to the above post, didn’t Von Perry win the KABC award for COY a few years ago. I may be totally wrong about this, but I thought she won some kind of COY award a few years back. Can someone verify this for me?

Himmelfarb, you are so clever w/words and I will say very good at it. I tip my hat to you. However, don't read so much into my post. I thought your post was very good, saying the same thing which you have stated numerous times just in a different way. I should have put some dancing smiley faces on my last post as I was joking around regarding the drama always involved w/the 16th region that there could be a top selling book written or even a soap opera, it was in fun, loosen up. It's great that we stick up for our children especially when they are so talented and we feel they are not getting what they deserve.

I asked a question and then you mock me, so take what you say to heart and abide by what you are trying to tell me to do. I have no idea who Coach Napier is or even who is coaching the KY all star team this yr. I just find it odd that ONE girl has been contacted to attend the tryout when no one else has, or at least no one else is speaking up that they have. I really don't care who is invited. I have no horse in the race, my daughter is a Jr. I just hope that the best that KY has to offer is invited and chosen to play against IN so we do not get embarrassed.

I started this thread regarding the all star game, not to hear all the problems w/the 16th region voting again which was done on several other threads. I don't care if you all(16th region members) voice your opinions. As you said, this is what we do on hear, just do it on the right threads. We have been reading about the 16th region voting problems for weeks on several threads and as you suggested, I got away only to find it again here.

Simple question, who is Coach Napier and is he the coach of the all star team? Thank you!

I repent in sackcloth and ashes. Seriously...sorry if I went too far.

I can't say that Emily "deserved" anything. It's a vote and there is no objective criteria by which one can earn it. I've just tried to make the case for those who would have voted differently...myself included.

As for repeating myself...I can only say that "repetition is the mother of all learning.";)

...If the 16th region coaches have a vendetta against RH (specifically Queen or Terry) why did they receive this past recognition.

Most have always been very kind to both girls and I would fully expect that the same kind of recognition will continue. In fact, it was because so many coaches have come to me and have been so complimentary of Emily...during past seasons, this season and at Morehead most recently...that the outcome of the vote was so surprising (I hold a number of them in very high esteem and was genuinely interested in the "why"). Having learned a bit more about the process over the course of the past week...who may vote and how...I've concluded that it's not much to worry about.

If I remember correctly, weren't Terry and Queen on the junior all-star team that practiced against the senior all-star team. Don't you think that would give them an advantage?

I see no reason why it would.

That is correct. Terry was voted Player of the Year last year by the head coaches of the 16th region and Emily was voted the top player in the region in a preseason poll this year,with Terry pkacing second, in the balloting by head coaches of the 16th region.

Any reason you left out the leading candidate for Miss Basketball, Rebecca Gray?

Nope, I just got back on BGP today to answer you, The web site is hard to look through, nothing is in order, I didn't meen to slight miss Gray. My eyes just aren't what they used to be.

I know too well about the eyes.

Himmelfarb, please, who is this Coach Napier or anyone? Does anyone know who is coaching the KY all star team? By the way, I enjoy reading your post, proper grammar and spelling is rare on this site.

No since sugarcoating it. The excuse has always been Rose Hill didn't pay their dues. Well apparently they paid enough dues to finish 2nd and 4th just not first. This is the 2nd year in a row where and injustice was done. Faulkner got job last year, Queen this year, and Pam Euton this year. Look you have to give Pam some credit. She won this year when no one thought she would and did it with 2 starters that wouldn't have started at Russell, Rowan, East, Ashland or most of the other top schools.

Last year I heard that character was an issue. Apparently Faulkner's transfer was an issue. So what is the reason for Queen? She was and is the best player in the region, she proved it night in and night out and over several years. Whether you like it or not they share one common denominator.

If my kids ever get close to the talent of Emily Queen, I would be afraid to transfer them to Rose Hill because of this blatant bias. Of course that is probably what the area coaches are trying to accomplish. I don't see why they can't root for their own programs but still give due to the obviously best player in the Region. They keep saying these awards are not worth arguing over , but to a player that has worked so hard I'm sure it is. I wish my schools coaches had a little more class.

Overall, I see very little bias against Queen or Terry from the coaches in this area. However, Kala Faulkner and Pam Euton may be a different story. But, then, I am merely an observer. Maybe someone more in the "know" can tell me whether my conclusions are correct or not.

Just talking about coy. If your union was voting an employee of the year I think they would pick someone in the union. I think most organizations would feel this way. I think most coaches voting for KABC coach of the year voted for coaches in the KABC. Idon't know this, but it makes sense to me.