KY/IN All Star game

Glad your back Rickyp. Please don't hold back tell us how you feel.

No since sugarcoating it. The excuse has always been Rose Hill didn't pay their dues. Well apparently they paid enough dues to finish 2nd and 4th just not first. This is the 2nd year in a row where and injustice was done. Faulkner got job last year, Queen this year, and Pam Euton this year. Look you have to give Pam some credit. She won this year when no one thought she would and did it with 2 starters that wouldn't have started at Russell, Rowan, East, Ashland or most of the other top schools.

Last year I heard that character was an issue. Apparently Faulkner's transfer was an issue. So what is the reason for Queen? She was and is the best player in the region, she proved it night in and night out and over several years. Whether you like it or not they share one common denominator.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please tell me this did Rose Hill vote for coach and player of the year. I do know that some schools only had 1 vote.

I don't think so. All one vote would have done is possibly move queen into a tie for 3rd. I'm sure Pam finished last in the voting. Professional male coaches don't like getting thumped by inexperienced females.

I thought I read earlier that all KABC members had a vote so if your school pays for the 7th/8th/9th/JV/V and V asst each would get a vote. Obviously, this gives that schools best player at least 5 votes. Seems to me that only JV/V coaches(2) should get to vote for POY/COY.

Let's all remember something and I have no horse in this race, Miss Fortman is a very good player and I think w/all this talk we are belittling her, IMO.

As mentioned, I am sure Queen will get invited to the all star tryouts as will Terry.

I can remember a few yrs ago when one of the top 3 catchers in the state did not get voted into the Jr/Sr all star baseball game due to the school forgetting to pay their memebership. It happens everywhere.

I thought I read earlier that all KABC members had a vote so if your school pays for the 7th/8th/9th/JV/V and V asst each would get a vote. Obviously, this gives that schools best player at least 5 votes. Seems to me that only JV/V coaches(2) should get to vote for POY/COY.

Let's all remember something and I have no horse in this race, Miss Fortman is a very good player and I think w/all this talk we are belittling her, IMO.

As mentioned, I am sure Queen will get invited to the all star tryouts as will Terry.

I can remember a few yrs ago when one of the top 3 catchers in the state did not get voted into the Jr/Sr all star baseball game due to the school forgetting to pay their membership. It happens everywhere.

I mean to belittle no one other than those who refuse to vote for kids just because they go to Rose Hill. Fortman is an excellent player and is deserving of much credit but if anyone thinks that there were three better players in the region than Emily Queen then they are biased, prejudice or both. I'll go with both.

If anyone thinks for 1 second that Queen didn't lose votes because she attends Rose Hill then they are fooling themselves. Same can be said for Faulkner last year. Plus Pam Euton will never receive a vote. Other coaches refuse to recognize that she took an undermanned team to the regional championship. I can't say that I blame them, if I was outperformed by someone who has no formal training I would be in denial also. It is embarrassing and shameful.

Did Mayo when the award when he was here?

Once again Rose Hill paid their dues but their kids didn't get enough votes. That excuse is no longer valid. From now on we should save our money.

O.J did not win this award given to seniors. When the votes were turned in around the 1st week of Feb. Fortman was playing her best basketball. Let me say this one more time this is not a award for your career but your senior season. Correct me if I'm wrong but the title of this thread is Ky./ Ind. all-star game not KABC player of the year.

O.J did not win this award given to seniors. When the votes were turned in around the 1st week of Feb. Fortman was playing her best basketball. Let me say this one more time this is not a award for your career but your senior season. Correct me if I'm wrong but the title of this thread is Ky./ Ind. all-star game not KABC player of the year.

Did Dawson win the award? He was a senior. Looks to me like the award is based on part of your senior year.

If the vote was taken in early February as marooncat says, I can understand Fortman winning the POY. At that time Queen led in scoring and rebounding and Fortman was second in both. However, Fortman played for the school that was the odds on favorite to win the region and Queen played on a team that some thought may not get out of the district. In no event should anyone reflect negatively on Fortman. She is a deserving recipient and, along with Queen and Terry, has earned a place on the all-state team.

On the other hand, using that time frame for the vote, I don't see how Trimble got COY over Kidwell. It was still several weeks before Raceland upset Russell in the district and the Class A win at home and quick out in Richmond shouldn't have done it over Kidwell.

Of course, I am still reminded of the fact that Jeff Hall was state COY in 2002 but received zero votes from area coaches for COY for this area. That does seem to be, as Rickyp implies, more than a coincidence.

All should remember that some matters are going to continue to exist and it does no good for Rose Hill posters to continually complain about it. It won't change and those not privy to politics in this area find it hard to believe and, thus, conclude that Rose Hillers are whiners.

As I see it, there is only one solution and that solution is to win on the field/floor of competition. Words do little. Wins do much.

Thanks marooncat, all I wanted to know was when the tryouts were not why, how come, coulda woulda shoulda stuff about the 16th region problems.

If the vote was taken in early February as marooncat says, I can understand Fortman winning the POY. At that time Queen led in scoring and rebounding and Fortman was second in both. However, Fortman played for the school that was the odds on favorite to win the region and Queen played on a team that some thought may not get out of the district. In no event should anyone reflect negatively on Fortman. She is a deserving recipient and, along with Queen and Terry, has earned a place on the all-state team.

On the other hand, using that time frame for the vote, I don't see how Trimble got COY over Kidwell. It was still several weeks before Raceland upset Russell in the district and the Class A win at home and quick out in Richmond shouldn't have done it over Kidwell.

Of course, I am still reminded of the fact that Jeff Hall was state COY in 2002 but received zero votes from area coaches for COY for this area. That does seem to be, as Rickyp implies, more than a coincidence.

All should remember that some matters are going to continue to exist and it does no good for Rose Hill posters to continually complain about it. It won't change and those not privy to politics in this area find it hard to believe and, thus, conclude that Rose Hillers are whiners.

As I see it, there is only one solution and that solution is to win on the field/floor of competition. Words do little. Wins do much.

Not whining just cutting through the crap.

I didn't mean to insinuate that you or anyone else is whining. I know better. As for crap cuttiing, I fully support more of it.

I know what you meant but I did want anyone else to be confused.

This will be the last thing I say about player of the year. Lets say Laura Terry wins not Jessica Fortman would Rose Hill be as upset as they are now.Something else I would like to know does it bother you that Terry was second not Queen.

This will be the last thing I say about player of the year. Lets say Laura Terry wins not Jessica Fortman would Rose Hill be as upset as they are now.Something else I would like to know does it bother you that Terry was second not Queen.

Let me see if I can put this thing to rest...and in so doing hopefully explain why so many were confused and upset at the vote...and believe that Emily is second to no one in the 16th Region...and quite possibly beyond.

Emily Queen has, for each week of the past four seasons...according to the published records in the ADI...led the 16th Region in scoring and rebounding. The exception to this is last season when her role on the team was changed and it was not necessary for her to contribute as much on the offensive end (Kala Faulkner led in scoring...Laura Terry ended the season in 2nd place...and Emily was 3rd). She did, however, continue to lead the region in rebounding. This season, she returned to her position as leader in both categories and maintained that leadership for each week of the season.

Admittedly, the Lady Royals did not win consistently until late in the season. However, they were facing as good or better competition as any team in the region and Emily was consistent in her play...and did so while being asked to move to the point guard position whenever Britt Faulkner would get into foul trouble.

She ended her career with 2907 points and 1513 rebounds (top 25 all- time scorer; top 10 all-time rebounder in the state's history)...and there have only been 3 girls in the state's history that have accumulated more combined points and rebounds in their careers. To put the matter into some perspective (and I say this with the utmost regard for Jessica Fortman and Laura Terry), Emily could have sat out the entire season and still no one among her peers in the 16th Region would have equaled the point and rebound total that she had already amassed...before she even began her senior season.

Those figures are not that important in and of themselves. The best thing about them is that they demonstrate the kind of consistent hard work and productivity that Emily is known for in the area.

What is hard to understand is this...that after all of that, she was still never recognized by the region's coaches...even though there has not been a POY in the last four seasons that had better season numbers than Emily for the year in which they were chosen as POY.

What I and others have wondered is this...by what standard of measurement was Emily deemed to be less than the best in the area? By career totals? By current year performance? By skill sets? By head-to-head match-ups against the Region's best teams? One would be hard pressed to make the case that by those standards, she was anything less than the best in this region.

For my part, I am convinced that there is not a coach in the area that, were she one of their's, would not have been just as confused and disappointed that she was not chosen. In the end, I tend to agree with Intentional Foul that much of the problem exists precisely because these matters are left to votes. For my part, you look at established measures of performance...and don't try to qualify the numbers to a meaningless state with "expert" analysis about matters other than on-the-court performances.

All that said...let me once again state my support and the support of Emily's fans in this household for Jessica and Laura. Both girls performed quite well in the All Star game...and I applaud them. They probably have demonstrated as much or more respect for what Emily has accomplished than did the voters...and that, along with the striving for such standards of excellence, are their own rewards.