Ryle Football Passes the Century Mark

cshs81

Not that it matters much but the split between boys and girls at Ryle is about 55% girls (880) and 45% boys (720). So to have 100+ varsity football players works out to be about 1 in 7 boys will suit up.

You're not factoring in frosh football players in your numerator but I'm guessing you are in your denominator, right?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that it matters much but the split between boys and girls at Ryle is about 55% girls (880) and 45% boys (720). So to have 100+ varsity football players works out to be about 1 in 7 boys will suit up.

Thanks for the info...Very interesting stuff!

No wonder all the guys @ Ryle always seem to be happy and content, I think it's the opposite of your situation over in Southern Kenton County.

Trinity doesn't have more than 99 varsity players but they do issue a few duplicate numbers. It works out OK as long as one kid is on offense and the other is on defense. This situation caused some confusion on this board last year. Some folks reported one of the Duttons (#2) playing safety for the Rocks. It turned out to be a duplicate number.

I can be two offensive players, if they're not on the field at the same time. My son wore #80, and in the first few practices of his Sophomore year, I thought the #80 practicing with the first team was my son. :lol:

The change last year (and the upcoming changes) are so good for KY football on so many levels and this is just one of them.

In this case, the 4A format last year gave a team that otherwise would not have made the finals a chance to make the finals. Ryle made it and one of the results is a lot more interest in football at Ryle. With more interest (and the coaching staff Ryle has in place) we should see the Ryle program take a step or two up in the next 2 to 3 years. That will in turn cause Conner, Boone County and Campbell County (to a lesser extent) to have to elevate their programs or get left behind with nothing but excuses.

On top of all of that, six class football creates several more similar opportunities for schools around the state which in turn will raise the already rising level of football in KY.

The change last year (and the upcoming changes) are so good for KY football on so many levels and this is just one of them.

In this case, the 4A format last year gave a team that otherwise would not have made the finals a chance to make the finals. Ryle made it and one of the results is a lot more interest in football at Ryle. With more interest (and the coaching staff Ryle has in place) we should see the Ryle program take a step or two up in the next 2 to 3 years. That will in turn cause Conner, Boone County and Campbell County (to a lesser extent) to have to elevate their programs or get left behind with nothing but excuses.

On top of all of that, six class football creates several more similar opportunities for schools around the state which in turn will raise the already rising level of football in KY.

I agree with your statement, but I don't know how High school teams can elevate their programs. I may be mistaken but I would assume that most coaches work hard and try to give their team the best chance to win, but you can not create naturally talented players like some of the schools you mentioned have had when they were successful(Stellman,Alexander, Faris, Menetry) and I believe you need this at the 6A level. It is not like you can pay a coach more to come coach at your school, like in college. So I am just interested in how a team is suppose to elevate their program at the High School level?

I will say one school that may have taken a big step is Lloyd but there are few Coaches with the resume of their new Head Coach.

I agree with your statement, but I don't know how High school teams can elevate their programs. I may be mistaken but I would assume that most coaches work hard and try to give their team the best chance to win, but you can not create naturally talented players like some of the schools you mentioned have had when they were successful(Stellman,Alexander, Faris, Menetry) and I believe you need this at the 6A level. It is not like you can pay a coach more to come coach at your school, like in college. So I am just interested in how a team is suppose to elevate their program at the High School level?

I will say one school that may have taken a big step is Lloyd but there are few Coaches with the resume of their new Head Coach.

It really is a simple answer.....work smarter.

No one will convince me that Trinity's players and coaches work harder than all other programs, but they work smarter than almost all others.

I think Ryle had as much athletic talent as Trinity but Trinity was more of a complete football team and program. They achieve this by working hard on the physical side and working hard at being prepared on the mental side! They were much more prepared than Ryle MENTALLY!

It really is a simple answer.....work smarter.

No one will convince me that Trinity's players and coaches work harder than all other programs, but they work smarter than almost all others.

I think Ryle had as much athletic talent as Trinity but Trinity was more of a complete football team and program. They achieve this by working hard on the physical side and working hard at being prepared on the mental side! They were much more prepared than Ryle MENTALLY!

Good answer, Now I get it for the last few years I have heard that schools need to work harder to beat the likes of Trinity, and that always made me mad because that is doubting the work ethic of teams. (Not that some teams work ethic doesn't need improvement) It is a conbination of working hard and doing so in an intelligent way.

I think it was a good answer too.

Part of the recipe is attracting new ingredients and it looks like Ryle's state runner up finish is doing just that.

On top of the finish, Coach Warner does a very good job connecting with his players which I believe is more important than ever given the mentality of most young people today.

On working smart, Ryle needs to figure out how to get all 110 kids involved on the field (practice and game). I would look at doing the following:

1. Try to two platoon as much as possible.

2. Accept nothing less than ten JV games. Schedule T and X if people won't play you and make sure you have a back up plan with a couple of schools in case someone backs out on you at the last minute. The more you get the program rolling the more likely teams are going to be to back out of JV games with you.

3. I would think hard about limiting who can play JV football to sophomores and maybe juniors but never ever seniors.

4. I would have one if not two (one for offensive and one for defense) Scout Team Coordinators. With this many kids in the program the Scout Team is going to be where many of the 110 players will make their greatest contribution to the program. Those kids need to know how important they are (because they are important) and having a Scout Team Coordinator(s) does just that.

5. Work on speed and agility. Ryle has been traditionally slow and it was very apparent against T in the finals.

6. Work smart! :D

^ Great post 'Ru....this is a great time at Ryle...Bryson needs to flourish now. He did a great job with that defense, but the offense needs some creativity...they have the horses, but you can mask a lot of your weaknesses by offensive sets and schemes...they should take a long look at a lot of the stuff Cov does...man it would be cool to see a powerhouse in NKY again...that's a great rivalry for Trinity.

Thanks RP.

I talked this over with some "experts" last night and we all agree with you RP, Ryle needs work on the offensive side of the football.

Also, once Ryle settles on an offensive set(s) it needs to be fully implemented on the JV and Freshman levels.

Also, Coach Warner, Coach Thompson, and Coach Trosper need to "force" the Boone County School Administration to resurrect junior high football.

Living in Boone County I hear lots of excuses on why the local teams can't compete with T and X. Junior high football would be a huge step in the right direction.

Yes. I said the same thing last year and was blasted for it. It will raise the level of play in the whole state. I think it may even erase the term Dynasty in some time. I think that's what some were afraid of.

I dont think the talent part of this statement is true. Also, I think their are teams that are more talented than a T or X in Jefferson and Fayette Co.'s. Like someone stated earlier, these schools (T and X) play smarter football. Now the elevation comes in when you have the powerhouse schools in a superclass. Example: My years in high school we played in district against Clay Co., N. Laurel, Jessamine Co., Perry Central and smashed them all, convincingly. Now that the districts and pairings have changed, all of the mentioned are consitent district contenders and playoff teams.

Thanks RP.

I talked this over with some "experts" last night and we all agree with you RP, Ryle needs work on the offensive side of the football.

Also, once Ryle settles on an offensive set(s) it needs to be fully implemented on the JV and Freshman levels.

Also, Coach Warner, Coach Thompson, and Coach Trosper need to "force" the Boone County School Administration to resurrect junior high football.

Living in Boone County I hear lots of excuses on why the local teams can't compete with T and X. Junior high football would be a huge step in the right direction.

:thumb:

That's a huge advantage that we have down here with the CSAA. I agree. Sometimes people will complain about how unfair it is because of what we have, instead of implementing change in their own backyards about what they DON'T have.