Ryle Football Passes the Century Mark

cshs81

I dont think the talent part of this statement is true. Also, I think their are teams that are more talented than a T or X in Jefferson and Fayette Co.'s. Like someone stated earlier, these schools (T and X) play smarter football.

I agree we have won state when there were more talented teams out there ('94, '05, '06), BUT when we do have the most talent..it becomes clearly evident how dangerous we are ('88, '89, '90, '01, '02)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think the talent part of this statement is true. Also, I think their are teams that are more talented than a T or X in Jefferson and Fayette Co.'s. Like someone stated earlier, these schools (T and X) play smarter football. Now the elevation comes in when you have the powerhouse schools in a superclass. Example: My years in high school we played in district against Clay Co., N. Laurel, Jessamine Co., Perry Central and smashed them all, convincingly. Now that the districts and pairings have changed, all of the mentioned are consitent district contenders and playoff teams.

I think you are correct that T and X aren't always the most talented but they have talented players maybe not the standouts. My statement was I don't think you can win a Sate title at the 6A level without any naturally talented players or should I say at least without having football savy players that know how to get the most out of their talent. (I think that is what you see at T, X and Highlands)

Not that it matters much but the split between boys and girls at Ryle is about 55% girls (880) and 45% boys (720). So to have 100+ varsity football players works out to be about 1 in 7 boys will suit up.

Excellent thread with a lot of good ideas about building a program. Sportsfan41, however, has a valid point. X and T have about 1500 boys. Even if Ryle works as "smart" and as "hard" as these schools, they still have one boy for every two at X and T. Put another way, if 1 out of 10 boys are superior athletes, and 1 out of 100 are fantastic athletes, in any given season X and T have 150 superior athletes to Ryle's 75, and X and T have 15 fantastic athletes to Ryle's 7 or 8. The numbers gap is a lot to overcome, and history validates it.

Over the years I have come to believe that this is the reason for the dearth of state champions from Northern Kentucky in 4A. After all, Northern Kentucky is dominant in 1A, 2A, and 3A.

Excellent thread with a lot of good ideas about building a program. Sportsfan41, however, has a valid point. X and T have about 1500 boys. Even if Ryle works as "smart" and as "hard" as these schools, they still have one boy for every two at X and T. Put another way, if 1 out of 10 boys are superior athletes, and 1 out of 100 are fantastic athletes, in any given season X and T have 150 superior athletes to Ryle's 75, and X and T have 15 fantastic athletes to Ryle's 7 or 8. The numbers gap is a lot to overcome, and history validates it.

Over the years I have come to believe that this is the reason for the dearth of state champions from Northern Kentucky in 4A. After all, Northern Kentucky is dominant in 1A, 2A, and 3A.

Maybe your numbers apply to Ryle, but how do you explain Male? Every year Male seems to have better athletes than T with half as many boys. Male losing to T this year was not due to a lack of athletes but rather a lapse in coaching. Ryle's loss to Trinity in the final had a lot more to do with scheme than athletes, hence coaching.

What is being said is that if you put the Ryle players in Trinity uniforms and they were coached by the Rocks coaches, that they would remain the same dominant program that they are now, and that the Trinity players who now found themselves in the Ryle uniforms would be the challengers???

Maybe your numbers apply to Ryle, but how do you explain Male? Every year Male seems to have better athletes than T with half as many boys. Male losing to T this year was not due to a lack of athletes but rather a lapse in coaching. Ryle's loss to Trinity in the final had a lot more to do with scheme than athletes, hence coaching.

You are correct regarding Male. I started to note this in my post, but since the thread was about Ryle thought it better not to. However, now that the issue is raised, I would posit that Male is the lone exception to the rule regarding numbers. To that extent, thank goodness for X and T that Male does not have 1500 boys or X and T would have a difficult chore. And imagine if Male had the same proportion more boys than X or T currently has over Male- say 2700 or 2800 boys-the task would be almost impossible for X and T, who already are rough parity with Male over the past years in terms of scores of games. As has been noted in many areas of life, size matters!:D

BTW, I do not mean to diminish the importance of coaching, hard work, big hearts, etc. I merely point out, as have many, that the two big Catholic powers have no monopoly on smart coaches or hardworking kids. But Catholic, or private, football is extremely dominant only in 4A. Only there have the two dominant powers such a numbers advantage. Without a huge numbers advantage, for the most part, X and T would enjoy the success of Cov Cath, Holy Cross or DeSales.

I think you are correct that T and X aren't always the most talented but they have talented players maybe not the standouts. My statement was I don't think you can win a Sate title at the 6A level without any naturally talented players or should I say at least without having football savy players that know how to get the most out of their talent. (I think that is what you see at T, X and Highlands)

But if you really think of what is considered 6A, aren't those teams usually the ones competing for the title year in and year out on the former 4A level?

i don't think Ryle will be dressing 110 kids next year, they won't make it. Look at how many kids have played on Bryson's teams. No more than 50 60 kids because it's a very tough program. I think Ryle might have about 80 kids who actually make the varsity roster after the summer.

i don't think Ryle will be dressing 110 kids next year, they won't make it. Look at how many kids have played on Bryson's teams. No more than 50 60 kids because it's a very tough program. I think Ryle might have about 80 kids who actually make the varsity roster after the summer.

Agreed. Some are caught up in the excitement without realizing the full extent of the commitment required.