Message on behalf of Rebecca Gray

Rebecca's mom here again.....

Thank all of you for your well-wishes and words of encouragement for my daughter. She is dealing with the pain of this loss as gracefully as she has with all other aspects of her life. Rebecca absolutely loves the game of basketball, especially in Kentucky, and loves Scott Co, it's coaches and fans. But, above all, she adores all of the young girls in the State who have looked up to her, approached her for autographs and pictures, and have sent her numerous e-mails and fan mail. She loves working with the young kids and has been such a mentor to several of them.

When I arrived home from work yesterday, her father and I spoke with her about these comments and the incident. She immediately broke down in tears and said that she couldn't believe she actually did such a thing. She said that she acted before she thought and was so numb from the pain of the loss that she really didn't realize it had happened until it was too late. She can not believe that she actually did it. This is so far removed from how Rebecca Gray really is and how she conducts herself, that she is totally devasted. The point that hit her the hardest was the girls in the stands who were there to watch her play. She works with school children the second half of the school day as a Teacher's Assistant, and she adores kids. She cannot stand the thoughts of having someone who looks up to her having witnessed her have a lapse in good judgement.

As Rebecca's parents, and on her behalf, she has asked us to sincerely apologize to all who may have witnessed this take place. Rebecca is nothing if not honest and will admit her mistakes. As parents we have raised her this way and will accept nothing less. She realizes that she is held to different standards, as a result of all her accomplishments, and that she must always be a positive role model. This is tough to ask and expect of a 17 year old kid, however she now knows that is is paramount. As I stated yesterday, I did not see any of this take place, however, it bothered me enough that I wanted to ask her about it. She never faltered, nor did she make excuses.

Everyone please keep in mind, this is a young lady very passionate about the game she has lived and breathed since she was 8 years old. She reacted in hurt and agony, without thinking, and has learned a great lesson in life that extends way beyond the game of basketball. After our talk, she now realizes that no matter the situation, she must always exhibit sportsmanship, character, and honor. She has played her entire career without even the most minor incident, until this happened. She wants everyone to know that she cannot begin to tell you how sorry she is and that it will never happen again.

Thank you all for your time and if any of you would like to talk about this further, I posted my number on the Scott Co/lex cath thread, please feel free to call.

Many lessons are learned in the spirit of competition that prepare our young people for life. Some are harder than others. Thanks Rebecca for what you have brought to girls basketball in Kentucky.

This young lady is a great ball player and I hope for the best for her future. All the players are very passionate about the game and being kids they make mistakes.

I am from a small school and I have watched the stats and information on this young lady all year and she has much to be proud of.

Good luck to her.

I admire you as a parent and the work that you have done with your daughter. She obviously is a great person on the floor and an even better one off the floor. Lets not judge this young lady by one mistake that she made however, judge her by all the good she has done on and off the floor.

I admire you as a parent and the work that you have done with your daughter. She obviously is a great person on the floor and an even better one off the floor. Lets not judge this young lady by one mistake that she made however, judge her by all the good she has done on and off the floor.

Great point. I made mistakes in my youth and my advanced age. I hope that they don't define the view people have of me.

Kids make mistakes as well as adults make mistakes, great players are sometimes the most emotional. Rebecca is a great player and this does not blemish any of her accomplishments. I am not condoning what she done or said but it seems to me that appropriate action was taken especially from her parents. Sometimes things like this happen, what happened yesterday or five minutes ago is in the past, learn from it and go on and do better.

Its to bad High School sports dosent have more parents like yourself , sounds like you have done a remarkable job on raising a first class athlete and a first class person, Life moves on after basketball and it sounds like she has a great head on her shoulders and is ready to grab life by the horns. Congratulations on an outstanding carrer in High School.

Its to bad High School sports dosent have more parents like yourself , sounds like you have done a remarkable job on raising a first class athlete and a first class person, Life moves on after basketball and it sounds like she has a great head on her shoulders and is ready to grab life by the horns. Congratulations on an outstanding carrer in High School.

AMEN!!!!!!!

And not only to handle your daughter as you did.

But to get on here and handle yourself as you did after your discussion with your daughter speaks volumes about yourself.

If more parents were like the Gray's, then there wouldn't be as many discipline problems in schools. Rebecca had a lapse in judgement, but was honest and forthright enough to admit it. That, my friends is a role model.

Rebecca's mom here again.....

Thank all of you for your well-wishes and words of encouragement for my daughter. She is dealing with the pain of this loss as gracefully as she has with all other aspects of her life. Rebecca absolutely loves the game of basketball, especially in Kentucky, and loves Scott Co, it's coaches and fans. But, above all, she adores all of the young girls in the State who have looked up to her, approached her for autographs and pictures, and have sent her numerous e-mails and fan mail. She loves working with the young kids and has been such a mentor to several of them.

When I arrived home from work yesterday, her father and I spoke with her about these comments and the incident. She immediately broke down in tears and said that she couldn't believe she actually did such a thing. She said that she acted before she thought and was so numb from the pain of the loss that she really didn't realize it had happened until it was too late. She can not believe that she actually did it. This is so far removed from how Rebecca Gray really is and how she conducts herself, that she is totally devasted. The point that hit her the hardest was the girls in the stands who were there to watch her play. She works with school children the second half of the school day as a Teacher's Assistant, and she adores kids. She cannot stand the thoughts of having someone who looks up to her having witnessed her have a lapse in good judgement.

As Rebecca's parents, and on her behalf, she has asked us to sincerely apologize to all who may have witnessed this take place. Rebecca is nothing if not honest and will admit her mistakes. As parents we have raised her this way and will accept nothing less. She realizes that she is held to different standards, as a result of all her accomplishments, and that she must always be a positive role model. This is tough to ask and expect of a 17 year old kid, however she now knows that is is paramount. As I stated yesterday, I did not see any of this take place, however, it bothered me enough that I wanted to ask her about it. She never faltered, nor did she make excuses.

Everyone please keep in mind, this is a young lady very passionate about the game she has lived and breathed since she was 8 years old. She reacted in hurt and agony, without thinking, and has learned a great lesson in life that extends way beyond the game of basketball. After our talk, she now realizes that no matter the situation, she must always exhibit sportsmanship, character, and honor. She has played her entire career without even the most minor incident, until this happened. She wants everyone to know that she cannot begin to tell you how sorry she is and that it will never happen again.

Thank you all for your time and if any of you would like to talk about this further, I posted my number on the Scott Co/lex cath thread, please feel free to call.

Great job! Rebecca is a great player and obviously has a good foundation to be a good person.

If more parents were like the Gray's, then there wouldn't be as many discipline problems in schools. Rebecca had a lapse in judgement, but was honest and forthright enough to admit it. That, my friends is a role model.

No doubt! Awesome parents.

But, to complete the loop, an apology from her is next. I don't think her parents are going to step up and accept the Ms BB award for her, and as awesome as the letter above is from her parents (those are the type of parents that I look up to), in the end it's on Rebecca's shoulders. I wouldn't doubt the letter has already been written.

Congrats on a great high school career! Good luck playing this summer and nothing but the best in the Carolina Blue!