Triumphal Entry and Stealing

Mark 11

The Triumphal Entry

1As they approached Jerusalem and came to Bethphage and Bethany at the Mount of Olives, Jesus sent two of his disciples, 2saying to them, "Go to the village ahead of you, and just as you enter it, you will find a colt tied there, which no one has ever ridden. Untie it and bring it here. 3If anyone asks you, 'Why are you doing this?' tell him, 'The Lord needs it and will send it back here shortly.' "

4They went and found a colt outside in the street, tied at a doorway. As they untied it, 5some people standing there asked, "What are you doing, untying that colt?" 6They answered as Jesus had told them to, and the people let them go.

Matthew 21

The Triumphal Entry

1As they approached Jerusalem and came to Bethphage on the Mount of Olives, Jesus sent two disciples, 2saying to them, "Go to the village ahead of you, and at once you will find a donkey tied there, with her colt by her. Untie them and bring them to me. 3If anyone says anything to you, tell him that the Lord needs them, and he will send them right away."

4This took place to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet:

5"Say to the Daughter of Zion,

'See, your king comes to you,

gentle and riding on a donkey,

on a colt, the foal of a donkey.' "[a]

6The disciples went and did as Jesus had instructed them. 7They brought the donkey and the colt, placed their cloaks on them, and Jesus sat on them.

Luke 19

The Triumphal Entry

28After Jesus had said this, he went on ahead, going up to Jerusalem. 29As he approached Bethphage and Bethany at the hill called the Mount of Olives, he sent two of his disciples, saying to them,[I] 30"Go to the village ahead of you, and as you enter it, you will find a colt tied there, which no one has ever ridden. Untie it and bring it here. 31If anyone asks you, 'Why are you untying it?' tell him, 'The Lord needs it.' "

32Those who were sent ahead went and found it just as he had told them. 33As they were untying the colt, its owners asked them, "Why are you untying the colt?"

34They replied, "The Lord needs it." [/i]

35They brought it to Jesus, threw their cloaks on the colt and put Jesus on it. 36As he went along, people spread their cloaks on the road.

Does Jesus tell his disciples to go steal a donkey and it's colt?

I understand the concept that everything is the Lord's, but..........

They Borrowed The Colt and wasn't needed after Jesus used it and I'm sure it was returned. Also there was a custom where an animal could be lent to certain leaders knowing that it would be short termed and returned. Also the Colt was never riden before Jesus did it.

Didn't know the custom and that would be important to know.

The borrowed I understand but Scripture doesn't use the words borrow or indicate that it was returned.

Why does the colt never being ridden important?

Zechariah 9:9 (New International Version)

The Coming of Zion's King

9 Rejoice greatly, O Daughter of Zion!

Shout, Daughter of Jerusalem!

See, your king comes to you,

righteous and having salvation,

on a colt, the foal of a donkey.

Zechariah 9:9 (New International Version)

The Coming of Zion's King

9 Rejoice greatly, O Daughter of Zion!

Shout, Daughter of Jerusalem!

See, your king comes to you,

righteous and having salvation,

on a colt, the foal of a donkey.

How does this address whether Jesus indicated to them to steal it?

Jesus wouldn't have anyone to steal. He was sinless. The owner of the Donkey knew that his Donkey was special and had never been ridden. He also knew that the donkey was needed. The disciples didn't need the Donkey after Jesus used it, they carried nothing with them once they started traveling after Jesus told them to start their journey. Jesus and the disciple traveled by Foot, but it was foretold he would travel by a Colt.

Personally, I believe that this transaction had been prearranged by Jesus.

And what makes you believe this.

Personally, I try real hard to stay away from making judgements that are NOT based on Scripture because then it becomes LBBC's Scripture and I don't want that at all. So, if you have a Scripture that makes you believe that, I would love to study it.

For example, the culture of leaders could take things to use and it was excepted was something I did not know.

And what makes you believe this.

Personally, I try real hard to stay away from making judgements that are NOT based on Scripture because then it becomes LBBC's Scripture and I don't want that at all. So, if you have a Scripture that makes you believe that, I would love to study it.

For example, the culture of leaders could take things to use and it was excepted was something I did not know.

Because he told them where to find the donkeys and exactly what to say. I think the owners were told to look for someone who will come and untie the donkeys. I think it was an intentional fulfillment of Zech 9:9 prearranged by Jesus.

Borrow...not take. Religious leaders could borrow things from people who shared them. There was no mention of taking the colt in any form except with an agreement from the owner. It was FORETOLD. This is not my take on it but through Study. Ok I'll go deeper for you.

In 1st kings 1:33 David the king made his son Solomon to ride to Gihon on a mule. Zechariah 9;9 had Prophesied

"that the coming King would ride into Jerusalem Humbly on a donkey". The spirit of the Father maybe put the owner into a "state" where he would let the donkey go for a short time. We don't know the exact agreement but it was not stolen.

Luke 19:31 says..."if anyone asks you why are you untying it? Tell him the LORD needs it.

Luke 19:33 As they were untying the colt the owners asked them "why are you untying the colt?" "The LORD needs it".

Notice Jesus says "if anyone asks" so if not only the owner sees the Colt being taken, but for the neighbors too.

The donkey colt is a symbol of humility, peace, and Davidic royalty

• 2 weeks later...
I've finished a survey and almost 99% said stealing was a bad example. Everyone said the same thing that the colt was borrowed and some said it was God's animal in the first place.

On the last comment, so is my car. Does that mean that a minister can come and borrow it if God tells him to do so?