Is Drinking Alcohol A Sin

Hearsay

Maybe they look at you as an adult who can handle the responsibility. Why would it be a negative if they didn't see you drunk? Do you think your students know that you and your spouse have sex? If so and assuming neither acts are sins for adults/married adults, how is that example different from a student seeing you with beer in your cart at Kroger's?

Key word: SPOUSE

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they look at you as an adult who can handle the responsibility. Why would it be a negative if they didn't see you drunk? Do you think your students know that you and your spouse have sex? If so and assuming neither acts are sins for adults/married adults, how is that example different from a student seeing you with beer in your cart at Kroger's?

The bolded part makes me think that maybe I am around very different teenagers than you! I have heard some students mentioning being uncomfortable in situations where they saw a teacher drinking, even though he (the teacher) was in now way drunk. They seem to have this innate (sp?) sense of what is right and what is wrong.

I guess that means that I feel that drinking is wrong, at least how it is portrayed in our society where alcoholism is rampant.

The bolded part makes me think that maybe I am around very different teenagers than you! I have heard some students mentioning being uncomfortable in situations where they saw a teacher drinking, even though he (the teacher) was in now way drunk. They seem to have this innate (sp?) sense of what is right and what is wrong.

I guess that means that I feel that drinking is wrong, at least how it is portrayed in our society where alcoholism is rampant.

Why are the students uncomfortable? Do they see it as a sin? Do you see it as a sin?

There is a difference between spouses having sex and unmarried, teenagers having sex.

True. However, that wasn't the question. Isn't there also a difference between adults legally drinking beer and high school kids drinking beer? If so, how is it a problem to have students know that you drink beer (legally) but its not a problem for them to know that you have sex with their spouse(legally and morally allowable)?

True. However, that wasn't the question. Isn't there also a difference between adults legally drinking beer and high school kids drinking beer? If so, how is it a problem to have students know that you drink beer (legally) but its not a problem for them to know that you have sex with their spouse(legally and morally allowable)?

You are making the assumption that teenagers think logically. That is not an accurate assumption.

They don't see it legally or illegally. It is something they want to do, they do it. They don't want to do it, they don't.

For most teenagers, I don't think it is about legal or not but rather they want to or not.

So, they see me doing it and it must be okay to do.

You are making the assumption that teenagers think logically. That is not an accurate assumption.

They don't see it legally or illegally. It is something they want to do, they do it. They don't want to do it, they don't.

For most teenagers, I don't think it is about legal or not but rather they want to or not.

So, they see me doing it and it must be okay to do.

LBBC, I think you're rationalizing here. The previous poster said basically that he didn't want students to know he drinks beer because it could somehow (I disagree) lead them to think drinking beer is fine for them , too. If you believe that students are somehow not intelligent enough to make the connection that just because an adult drinks, it doesn't mean that they should then you would HAVE to also believe that them knowing you have sex as an adult would also SOMEHOW confuse them and make them think that sex as a teen is also OK.

If your fear is that "well, you do" is going to be the response to "don't drink beer," then youu would HAVE to have that same fear to the the proclamation that "you should not have sex ."

Your argument above states that teenagers aren't logical. You cannot then argue that they are logical enough to make the discernment between sex and alcohol. It defies logic.

As you can tell, I think it is completely wrong to not drink simply because a teenager might see you. Adults do many things that teens should not. Teens are smarter than what we're giving them credit for (or not giving them credit for).

Now if you believe alcohol consumption is a sin for all, that's a different argument.

LBBC, I think you're rationalizing here. The previous poster said basically that he didn't want students to know he drinks beer because it could somehow (I disagree) lead them to think drinking beer is fine for them , too. If you believe that students are somehow not intelligent enough to make the connection that just because an adult drinks, it doesn't mean that they should then you would HAVE to also believe that them knowing you have sex as an adult would also SOMEHOW confuse them and make them think that sex as a teen is also OK.

If your fear is that "well, you do" is going to be the response to "don't drink beer," then youu would HAVE to have that same fear to the the proclamation that "you should not have sex ."

Your argument above states that teenagers aren't logical. You cannot then argue that they are logical enough to make the discernment between sex and alcohol. It defies logic.

As you can tell, I think it is completely wrong to not drink simply because a teenager might see you. Adults do many things that teens should not. Teens are smarter than what we're giving them credit for (or not giving them credit for).

Now if you believe alcohol consumption is a sin for all, that's a different argument.

I wish I had a quarter for anytime a teenager made a decision that defied logic. My view is from 18 years of teaching, coaching, sponsoring teenagers.

I wish I had a quarter for anytime a teenager made a decision that defied logic. My view is from 18 years of teaching, coaching, sponsoring teenagers.

I think you've just made a point against yourself. If teenagers make decisions that defy logic, then they are going to do whatever they want regardless of whether or not they see a teacher, parent or friend's parent drinking or buying beer. They will do it because they like to and will, at best, justify it using whatever flawed logic they do, not the other way around.

I think you've just made a point against yourself. If teenagers make decisions that defy logic, then they are going to do whatever they want regardless of whether or not they see a teacher, parent or friend's parent drinking or buying beer. They will do it because they like to and will, at best, justify it using whatever flawed logic they do, not the other way around.

Let me rephrase. They use their own version of logic. If they see me doing things they want to use, they will use that to justify their own usage.

In my business management, I did a unit on ethics and we tried to defy what is a lie. 90% of the teens in the class said the following was NOT a lie.

They told their parents they were going to their friend's house on Friday night. They went to their friend's house and spent 30 minutes. They then left and spent the night out running the town.

Let me rephrase. They use their own version of logic. If they see me doing things they want to use, they will use that to justify their own usage.

I disagree. Whether they see you do it or not, they have already made up their minds.

In my business management, I did a unit on ethics and we tried to defy what is a lie. 90% of the teens in the class said the following was NOT a lie.

They told their parents they were going to their friend's house on Friday night. They went to their friend's house and spent 30 minutes. They then left and spent the night out running the town.

I used that one a time or two...:cool:

I disagree. Whether they see you do it or not, they have already made up their minds.

I used that one a time or two...:cool:

On the first point, I agree that some have already made up their mind. But I don't want my actions to be the reason why they justify in their mind it being okay.

Also on the first point, a good number of teenagers are LOOKING for reasons to say no to peer pressure. They are thrilled when their parents say no to things because it releases them from peer pressure. Along that line of thinking, I would hate to learn of a situation where a peer is pressuring a teen to drink and they say, "Hey, even LBBC drinks, we saw him at Pizza Hut the other night with a pitcher of beer."

Me drinking is not worth ONE KID making the call to drink because they think it is okay because I drink. Will that ever happen? Probably not, but it is not worth the risk to me.

A point that is being missed is based on the norms of our society. Find me one person that believes that it is wrong for a husband and wife to have sex (with each other!). However, there are many, many people that believe that it is wrong to use alcohol (a sin). Somewhere along the way, alcohol is abused and alcoholism rises.

There are other societies/cultures in which alcohol is a completely accepted. As a result, alcohol abuse/alcoholism is not as much of a problem.

One last thing. What we show the kids is part of the issue. If you drink in public then there is a possibility that students may see you. Some have argued the point that students "know" that married couples have sex - but they don't see it (under normal circumstances).

Or maybe it lets the non-Christian see the real person. Not some santized act.

I think God wants us to be prudent in our actions, but if more Christians were as concerned about what comes out of their mouths (negativity, gossip, cutting words, etc.) as what goes in them, then the Kingdom would be bettered.

Christians in big numbers tend to major on the minor. However, alcohol to me isn't even an example of this. To me alcohol is making an issue out of a non issue.

I like your post and I just wanted to follow up on it a little bit...these verses are from the New King James Version.

Proverbs 6:16-19 These six things the LORD hates, yes, seven are an abomination to Him: a proud look, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that are swift in running to evil, a false witness who speaks lies, and one who sows discord among brethren.

Three of the seven involve speaking and nothing mentioned about alcohol in there.

Also, you'll find in James 3:2-8 ...If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body. Indeed, we put bits in horses' mouths that they may obey us, and we turn their whole body. Look also at ships: although they are so large and are driven by fierce winds, they are turned by a very small rudder wherever the pilot desires. Even so the tongue is a little member and boasts great things. See how great a forest a little fire kindles! And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell. For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and creature of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by mankind. But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.

And, of course, what Jesus himself says in the book of Matthew...

Verse 11 - Not what goes into the mouth defiles a man; but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man.

Verse 18 - But those things which proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and they defile a man.

Don't get me wrong here...I'm not trying to defend drinking alcohol. Although, from what I read, I don't think the actual consumption of alcohol is a sin, but over-indulging is. And also, as has been stated in a few previous posts, I think drinking alcohol treads that line of becoming a stumbling block for other people. What I gather from the Bible is that when there is something that we are perfectly free to do in our Christian liberty but can be a stumbling block for one of our brethren because of their weakness, then we should abstain from it for the greater good of the body of Christ. And to go one step further, if it is something that could weaken our witness to the non-Christians because of how they perceive things, then I think we should abstain. Paul talks about eating food as his example on this point, but I think alcohol in today's society fits the mold.

I think a lot of Christians fall into that trap of "ranking" sin from the human perspective. They may see someone out of control drinking, but what do they do about it? It seems that spreading gossip about it wouldn't be the correct thing, and in fact, may be an equal or worse offense in God's view.