Can This Be Possible?

CentreRocks

Maybe I am supposed to read into the fact that UoL was ranked roughly 10 spots ahead of UK in a couple and recruiting rankings and behind UK in another, as being a negative thing for the UK football program.

Should I hang my head over the clear destruction that the Cards put on the Cats this past signing day? :cry:

First, please share with me a "valid" ranking that has UofL's class "behind" UK. The original one posted on this thread is a joke.

Second, UofL hung 59 points on the Cats last year. UofL is way ahead of the Cats in football at this point. The Cats need to get some classes ranked ahead of the Cards to move forward. Otherwise you are just slowing down the rate of decline. Check out the job done by the Illini, the Tarheels and the Gamecocks. Non-football powers that stepped up and landed great classes. As it is, Coach Brooks is really going to have to "coach-em-up" again next season. He is a very nice guy and I wish him the best.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, please share with me a "valid" ranking that has UofL's class "behind" UK. The original one posted on this thread is a joke.

Second, UofL hung 59 points on the Cats last year. UofL is way ahead of the Cats in football at this point. The Cats need to get some classes ranked ahead of the Cards to move forward. Otherwise you are just slowing down the rate of decline. Check out the job done by the Illini, the Tarheels and the Gamecocks. Non-football powers that stepped up and landed great classes. As it is, Coach Brooks is really going to have to "coach-em-up" again next season. He is a very nice guy and I wish him the best.

By that logic, U of L would have never beaten Miami. It has more to do with the coaches, IMO...and U of L has had a far bigger advantage in that category than in the recruiting rankings. If they've landed another gem in Kragthorpe, then the Cats will have their work cut out for them, but Brooks seems to be heading things in the right direction...but climbing uphill in the SEC is a bit tougher than elsewhere...

By that logic, U of L would have never beaten Miami. It has more to do with the coaches, IMO...and U of L has had a far bigger advantage in that category than in the recruiting rankings. If they've landed another gem in Kragthorpe, then the Cats will have their work cut out for them, but Brooks seems to be heading things in the right direction...but climbing uphill in the SEC is a bit tougher than elsewhere...

I'm sure UGA and Clemson are loaded with kids that wouldn't even consider UK. Coaching is a big part of the equation. But good players make good coaches in a lot of cases. You may win sometimes, but the teams with the horses will win most of the time.

I'm sure UGA and Clemson are loaded with kids that wouldn't even consider UK. Coaching is a big part of the equation. But good players make good coaches in a lot of cases. You may win sometimes, but the teams with the horses will win most of the time.

But, when you're trying to build a program, you have to rely on coaching more than banking on pulling off a recruiting miracle...you need 1) coaches who are just plain good coaches, and 2) coaches who can find underrated recruits...U of L has done a great job at both, along with great timing of having two 5-star players come out of the city (Brohm and Bush).

That's something UK has to do to make some headway in the SEC...I like the job Brooks and Phillips are doing so far, especially considering the situation they were in when they started...

In any case, I agree with your statement that the team with the horses will win most of the time. I was hoping UK would do a little better in recruiting this year, but building a consistent program at UK is not going to be easy...and it's going to take more than one bowl win against Clemson to erase the history they have. What I'm really hoping is that last year's freshman class will be ready to make a major impact...those guys have to live up to their potential or else ten years from now we'll be talking about our last bowl appearance against Clemson...

Weak schedules also make mediocre teams seem better. This has certainly helped the Cards recruiting.

Weak schedules also make mediocre teams seem better. This has certainly helped the Cards recruiting.

How so? Louisville's recruiting picked up once they got in a better (tougher) conference. I know the Big East isn't the SEC but its heads and shoulders above Conference USA. I think you are right that winning and playing in bowls helps recruiting no matter what.

Yes, moving to the Big East has helped Louisville's recruiting. I guess I am agreeing with the poster who stated earlier that if Ky is anywhere close in the recruiting wars with Louisville then that is very good. Kids believe what they hear. People say the Big East is strong and kids believe it. Louisville has done a great job building their program. Louisville has declared themselves a National Power House (??? Legit Contender for National Championship???) That being said and if it is really true. They should compare their recruiting classes with the true powers. Florida, LSU, USC, Ohio State. Not with the recruiting class of their in-state rival. Ky. Unless they believe that despite the whippings they have placed on the Cats in the recent future. The Ville is actually closer in comparison to a SEC mid-pack school that a national power.

How so? Louisville's recruiting picked up once they got in a better (tougher) conference. I know the Big East isn't the SEC but its heads and shoulders above Conference USA. I think you are right that winning and playing in bowls helps recruiting no matter what.

I think that's one advantage U of L had...playing an easier schedule allowed them to win, get bowl eligible and build momentum. It's a credit to them that they took advantage of it and now they've moved on to the Big East where they're going to be a front-runner for a BCS-Bowl on a regular basis. That should really boost their recruiting.

That's not to say UK hasn't had some advantages...they just didn't capitalize on them. Playing in the SEC can be a blessing and a curse...but they could have used it to their advantage against U of L when they were in C-USA, IMO...if they'd got the right coach and stuck with him. No need to worry about it now.

Yes, moving to the Big East has helped Louisville's recruiting. I guess I am agreeing with the poster who stated earlier that if Ky is anywhere close in the recruiting wars with Louisville then that is very good. Kids believe what they hear. People say the Big East is strong and kids believe it. Louisville has done a great job building their program. Louisville has declared themselves a National Power House (??? Legit Contender for National Championship???) That being said and if it is really true. They should compare their recruiting classes with the true powers. Florida, LSU, USC, Ohio State. Not with the recruiting class of their in-state rival. Ky. Unless they believe that despite the whippings they have placed on the Cats in the recent future. The Ville is actually closer in comparison to a SEC mid-pack school that a national power.

You are kidding yourself. If UofL beats Rutgers they likely end up playing for the national title. I'm not saying its right or wrong but according to analysis of the system in place thats how it would have happened. That isn't "declaring" themselves a national power, the fact that they were a game away from the national title game does that. I think you are confusing "national powers" with "perennial national powers". Any team that finishes undefeated at a BCS conference has a chance to win it all. Boise is a perfect example of how important being in a BCS conference is.

Back to the thread, my point was that UK is way behind UofL in football (some would say that UofL is "miles ahead"). It would be in their best interest to have better recruiting classes than UofL if they want to close the gap and pull ahead. Do you disagree?

^ he couldn't disagree, your post is perfect....Louisville is not known to be some crazy power...at least not yet...but they have to crawl before they walk.

What comes before crawling? That's what UK needs to do...:lol:

You are kidding yourself. If UofL beats Rutgers they likely end up playing for the national title. I'm not saying its right or wrong but according to analysis of the system in place thats how it would have happened. That isn't "declaring" themselves a national power, the fact that they were a game away from the national title game does that. I think you are confusing "national powers" with "perennial national powers". Any team that finishes undefeated at a BCS conference has a chance to win it all. Boise is a perfect example of how important being in a BCS conference is.

Back to the thread, my point was that UK is way behind UofL in football (some would say that UofL is "miles ahead"). It would be in their best interest to have better recruiting classes than UofL if they want to close the gap and pull ahead. Do you disagree?

Point taken