Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cincinnati Reds and Barry Larkin

Featured Replies

How long do you all think it will be (if they ever do) before the Reds retire his jersey? Also in 2008 Larkin will be on his first ballot for the Hall, any chance of him making it?

  • Replies 200
  • Views 16.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Numbers wise he should be in, better overall SS than the Wizard but Barry didn't do backflips.

The recent numbers at SS hurt Barry. However, the steroid rumors that surrounded everyone never followed him (even when he hit 30 HRS).

Barry Larkin deserves to have his number retired by the Reds, and obviously in their Hall-of-Fame as soon as he is eligible. However, I don't think you'll ever see Larkin enshrined in Cooperstown, largely for a reson that IAMaFan touched on -- the shortstops that have come after him.

 

Not to mention, if Davey isn't in, Barry shouldn't be in. :D

Barry Larkin deserves to have his number retired by the Reds, and obviously in their Hall-of-Fame as soon as he is eligible. However, I don't think you'll ever see Larkin enshrined in Cooperstown, largely for a reson that IAMaFan touched on -- the shortstops that have come after him.

 

Not to mention, if Davey isn't in, Barry shouldn't be in. :D

 

 

If he's compared to SS's before him he's a lock. After him....he's average.

How long do you all think it will be (if they ever do) before the Reds retire his jersey? Also in 2008 Larkin will be on his first ballot for the Hall, any chance of him making it?

By the way, I don't think Barry is eligible until '09 or '10.

If he's compared to SS's before him he's a lock.

 

I'll tell you why I disagree, in Larkin's 19 seasons he only played in 150 games 4 times. Heck he only had over 450 at-bats 9 times. Less than 50%. That lack of durability will hurt him, IMHO.

 

Was he ever the best shortstop in baseball during his career? Did he ever lead the league in any major offensive category?

 

I think his case is solid, but shaky enough that it won't happen (at least any time soon).

I'll tell you why I disagree, in Larkin's 19 seasons he only played in 150 games 4 times. Heck he only had over 450 at-bats 9 times. Less than 50%. That lack of durability will hurt him, IMHO.

 

Was he ever the best shortstop in baseball during his career? Did he ever lead the league in any major offensive category?

 

I think his case is solid, but shaky enough that it won't happen (at least any time soon).

 

 

I'm not saying Barry is a world beater. I'm saying there are some terrible SS's in the HOF numbers wise. Barry was better than Ozzie IMO. He didn't have the post season heroics, flips, and fan support, but he was WAY better offensively.

 

30-30

MVP

Got a Ring

Good offensive numbers compared to SS's before him.

 

He's got a case.

He's got a case.

Like I said, he has a solid case -- but certainly not without it's holes.

Here's a link to Ozzie's career stats from the Hall of Fame.

 

The Wizard

Larkin very good, not HOF in my opinion....

Barry Larkin deserves to have his number retired by the Reds, and obviously in their Hall-of-Fame as soon as he is eligible. However, I don't think you'll ever see Larkin enshrined in Cooperstown, largely for a reson that IAMaFan touched on -- the shortstops that have come after him.

 

Not to mention, if Davey isn't in, Barry shouldn't be in. :D

I agree. Larkin was a solid SS but if Concepcion is not elected then Larkin will have to wait also.

  • Author
By the way, I don't think Barry is eligible until '09 or '10.

It's 5 years right and I'm pretty positive '03 was his last year. I cried that day. :cry:

I'll tell you why I disagree, in Larkin's 19 seasons he only played in 150 games 4 times. Heck he only had over 450 at-bats 9 times. Less than 50%. That lack of durability will hurt him, IMHO.

 

Was he ever the best shortstop in baseball during his career? Did he ever lead the league in any major offensive category?

 

I think his case is solid, but shaky enough that it won't happen (at least any time soon).

 

Not if you count allstar ballots.:thumb:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.