Cincinnati Reds and Barry Larkin

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barry Larkin deserves to have his number retired by the Reds, and obviously in their Hall-of-Fame as soon as he is eligible. However, I don't think you'll ever see Larkin enshrined in Cooperstown, largely for a reson that IAMaFan touched on -- the shortstops that have come after him.

Not to mention, if Davey isn't in, Barry shouldn't be in. :D

Barry Larkin deserves to have his number retired by the Reds, and obviously in their Hall-of-Fame as soon as he is eligible. However, I don't think you'll ever see Larkin enshrined in Cooperstown, largely for a reson that IAMaFan touched on -- the shortstops that have come after him.

If he's compared to SS's before him he's a lock. After him....he's average.

If he's compared to SS's before him he's a lock.

I'll tell you why I disagree, in Larkin's 19 seasons he only played in 150 games 4 times. Heck he only had over 450 at-bats 9 times. Less than 50%. That lack of durability will hurt him, IMHO.

Was he ever the best shortstop in baseball during his career? Did he ever lead the league in any major offensive category?

I think his case is solid, but shaky enough that it won't happen (at least any time soon).

I'll tell you why I disagree, in Larkin's 19 seasons he only played in 150 games 4 times. Heck he only had over 450 at-bats 9 times. Less than 50%. That lack of durability will hurt him, IMHO.

Was he ever the best shortstop in baseball during his career? Did he ever lead the league in any major offensive category?

I think his case is solid, but shaky enough that it won't happen (at least any time soon).

I'm not saying Barry is a world beater. I'm saying there are some terrible SS's in the HOF numbers wise. Barry was better than Ozzie IMO. He didn't have the post season heroics, flips, and fan support, but he was WAY better offensively.

30-30

MVP

Got a Ring

Good offensive numbers compared to SS's before him.

He's got a case.

I agree. Larkin was a solid SS but if Concepcion is not elected then Larkin will have to wait also.

Not if you count allstar ballots.:thumb: