Kearns Signed To Extension

gametime

But Adam Dunn making twice as much or more doesn't bother you?

I'm not having this freaking debate for the 143rd time. No, in fact I'm thrilled with it. Kearns is slightly above average, hasn't stayed healthy, hits for a slightly higher average than Dunn but gets on base a lot less and hits a lot fewer home runs. Solid outfielders aren't as hard to find and there is a "decent" chance that Hamilton is giving us in May what Kearns would be.

The horse is dead. Kearns will be fairly paid this year and than will be over-paid beginning next year. My take.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not having this freaking debate for the 143rd time. No, in fact I'm thrilled with it. Kearns is slightly above average, hasn't stayed healthy, hits for a slightly higher average than Dunn but gets on base a lot less and hits a lot fewer home runs. Solid outfielders aren't as hard to find and there is a "decent" chance that Hamilton is giving us in May what Kearns would be.

The horse is dead. Kearns is will be fairly paid this year and than will be over-paid beginning next year. My take.

:ylsuper: :ylsuper:

Yet they replaced Kearns in RF with a player that has more range...

If you are talking about Freel. I'd say at best Freel covers the same range with less arm. Plus how old is Freel. He also will miss as many games as Kearns. Freel hits for a little better average and steals more bases but Kearns will have more RBI's and HR's. Last Freel is 31 and Kearns is 25. We gave up on Kearns way to soon!!

If you are talking about Freel. I'd say at best Freel covers the same range with less arm. Plus how old is Freel. He also will miss as many games as Kearns. Freel hits for a little better average and steals more bases but Kearns will have more RBI's and HR's. Last Freel is 31 and Kearns is 25. We gave up on Kearns way to soon!!
No comparison, to Freel and Kearns, defensively....None, Freel is entirely better than Kearns.

I don't think the Reds gave up on him too soon, he never played to his potential or ability, thus it was a business decision.

Range is the same? :lol: If you say so...

Solid outfielders aren't as hard to find and there is a "decent" chance that Hamilton is giving us in May what Kearns would be.

I agree that solid outfielders aren't that hard to find, but I think the Reds have 0 of them. I think even saying Hamilton has a decent chace is a big reach and that's just saying decent. For instance I think there's a better chance he hangs out w/ Chris Henry in the Kenton County jail than he puts up the same numbers as Kearns does this year. I hope you're closer than I am though.

While I don't think the range is the same. I don't see him playing more than 100 games in the OF this year. If he does his numbers will fall off at the end anyhow.

Kearns has averaged 103 games a season in 5 years. Sounds like a wash to me. And Freel isn't going to get 17.5 million...

Kearns has averaged 103 games a season in 5 years. Sounds like a wash to me. And Freel isn't going to get 17.5 million...

I hope Freel doesn't have to play in 103 games is what I'm getting at. You may consider it a wash, but getting back an injured bullpen pitcher for a 25 year old who in my opinion is far better than Freel is not a wash.

I hope Freel doesn't have to play in 103 games is what I'm getting at. You may consider it a wash, but getting back an injured bullpen pitcher for a 25 year old who in my opinion is far better than Freel is not a wash.

Majewski had a tired arm, but it was not a significant injury. Bray is the best player involved in the trade on either side. The Reds did not feel Kearns was a player they wanted to sign to this type deal, so they moved him. Did it backfire a little bit last year? Sure. But it made the team stronger going forward. You put your trust in Leather Pants and I'll take Krivsky...

Majewski had a tired arm, but it was not a significant injury. Bray is the best player involved in the trade on either side. The Reds did not feel Kearns was a player they wanted to sign to this type deal, so they moved him. Did it backfire a little bit last year? Sure. But it made the team stronger going forward. You put your trust in Leather Pants and I'll take Krivsky...

I'm not convinced I should trust him yet. I'm willing to give him his time. I'm just tired of reading some of the so called "experts" rip him apart. You're putting a lot of faith into Bray. I hope you're right, but I'm sure that the two players the Reds traded away can produce at the highest level. It's a guess if Bray is going to be that good.

I'm not convinced I should trust him yet. I'm willing to give him his time. I'm just tired of reading some of the so called "experts" rip him apart. You're putting a lot of faith into Bray. I hope you're right, but I'm sure that the two players the Reds traded away can produce at the highest level. It's a guess if Bray is going to be that good.

The two they let get away proved they could produce at the highest level consistently? That's news to me. They have shown flashes of upside that will get them paid, but inconsistency has been the norm for both. It was all about what was laid out for both in this off season and next, and that was getting paid over their value. I'm convinced I should not trust Leather Pants when it comes to trading young talent for "tools". Of that much I'm sure...

The two they let get away proved they could produce at the highest level consistently? That's news to me. They have shown flashes of upside that will get them paid, but inconsistency has been the norm for both. It was all about what was laid out for both in this off season and next, and that was getting paid over their value. I'm convinced I should not trust Leather Pants when it comes to trading young talent for "tools". Of that much I'm sure...

I hear you about the consistency issue and I agree w/ you. I'm assuming you would agree w/ me that they are both more proven than Bray. I hope Bray turns into the best player in the deal and can even become the Reds dominant closer for the next 5 years. I know that Kearns and Lopez could have been the starters at SS and RF for the next 5. At what price will be determined. With the way money is being thrown around right now the Kearns deal may look like a real good deal in 3 years. For the most part everyone on here wants the same thing out of Krivsky and the Reds. You just have a little more faith that he's on the right track than I do. There's nothing wrong w/ that and honestly I hope you're right.

No comparison, to Freel and Kearns, defensively....None, Freel is entirely better than Kearns.

I don't think the Reds gave up on him too soon, he never played to his potential or ability, thus it was a business decision.

Thank God we are in the good old USA. Cause we can agree to disagree. Freel is not a better defensive player than Kearns. Time will prove one of us right and one of us wrong. :thumb:

Potential wise the boy is just 25. He's not even in his prime yet.