JCPS Board votes to cut transportation to magnet/traditional schools

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2024 at 8:39 PM, Tigerpride94 said:

This issue is not settled yet, as there are groups now voicing their concerns and threating law suits due to things including not allowing less fortunate students to pursue their education at their chosen school.  Going to be interesting.  It always is at JCPS.

12 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

This issue is not settled yet, as there are groups now voicing their concerns and threating law suits due to things including not allowing less fortunate students to pursue their education at their chosen school.  Going to be interesting.  It always is at JCPS.

Yeah and I always the same with JCPS too, run!

27 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

It's not JCPS' responsibility to bus a kid 45 miles across the county because their parents have chosen to send them to school that far away. 

This is actually a smart move. 

• Like 4

I get what you are saying, but it's a shame if a gifted child has to miss out on a potentially life changing education because his parents can't or aren't available to drive them 15 miles to a school better suited to them.

Contrary to popular belief not just affluent parents think their children should have the opportunity to attend magnet schools.

On 4/26/2024 at 9:27 PM, Jumper_Dad said:

I get what you are saying, but it's a shame if a gifted child has to miss out on a potentially life changing education because his parents can't or aren't available to drive them 15 miles to a school better suited to them.

Contrary to popular belief not just affluent parents think their children should have the opportunity to attend magnet schools.

Valid points, although I think JCPS' defense will be that these schools are optional to attend if they are magnet (correct?) so as a result it is not on the hook to provide transportation to them if it elects not to do so.  Not sure if that would hold up legally but I can see them using that argument.

1 minute ago, DanvilleFan said:

Valid points, although I think JCPS' defense will be that these schools are optional to attend if they are magnet (correct?) so as a result it is not on the hook to provide transportation to them if it elects not to do so.  Not sure if that would hold up legally but I can see them using that argument.

To me it's no different than a private school. Most private schools do not provide transportation. If you want your kid to go there, you have to get them there. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, I gotta go to work said:

I believe in the Kenton County School District you can go to any of the schools you choose, but you only get bus transportation if you live in the boundaries of the "home" school. This seems similar. 

Yep.