Covington Catholic 35 Ashland 28

1 hour ago, colonel-fan said:

Looking forward to seeing stats. The Tomcats probably out gained the Colonels by a 100 yards.

Halftime Stats:
Ashland - 182 total yards (94 pass/88 rush)
Cov Cath  - 197 total yards (135 pass/62 rush)

Final Stats:
Ashland - 406 total yards (199 pass/207 rush)
Cov Cath  - 361 total yards (180 pass/181 rush)

• Like 1

Ashland definitely has some talent, but my main thought was their defense gameplay was so bad. I try to stay away from criticizing coaches too much, but if you don’t change up the coverages/looks on Pitzer and EE, it’s going to be a long night. I think we scored TDs on 5 of 7 possessions and the only possession in the game we didn’t score on when we were not running out the clock or trying to get them to burn TOs was when Pitzer missed on a couple throws to Miller. Otherwise he was money all night. 

When you play that much loose man, you put so much pressure on your DBs to tackle guys 1 on 1 in space and at the catch point. A player like Rodriguez at TE is going to go off vs a regular high school player trying to bring him down 1 on 1. A special game by 10. I also thought Leen played a great game at RB and was an impact player running through a bunch of tackles.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

True, he is a beast. The Tomcats are very young, including the rider, who is a freshman. A grown man and a kid, literally and figuratively. Good luck to Cov Cath, with all the talk centered around Boyle and Corbin, I hope to see the Colonels crash the party. The young Tomcats also played a nice game and have a bright future. Definitely nothing to hang their heads about. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CCHFC said:

Ashland definitely has some talent, but my main thought was their defense gameplay was so bad. I try to stay away from criticizing coaches too much, but if you don’t change up the coverages/looks on Pitzer and EE, it’s going to be a long night. I think we scored TDs on 5 of 7 possessions and the only possession in the game we didn’t score on when we were not running out the clock or trying to get them to burn TOs was when Pitzer missed on a couple throws to Miller. Otherwise he was money all night. 

When you play that much loose man, you put so much pressure on your DBs to tackle guys 1 on 1 in space and at the catch point. A player like Rodriguez at TE is going to go off vs a regular high school player trying to bring him down 1 on 1. A special game by 10. I also thought Leen played a great game at RB and was an impact player running through a bunch of tackles.

Oops *Defensive gameplan not gameplay