Vanhoose close to breaking career scoring record at RHS

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These guys played for Meredith from 82-89. I can name players from every team in the region starting from about 77 and on. The same is true for Boyd, Ashland, Greenup. I cannot mention Fairview because they had players during this time that did take many shots per game

Vanhoose is a great player, what is his average shot attempts per game? Most of the players who played for Coach Meredith in the 80's did not take much more than 10-13 shots per game, including Chris Jones, Ryan Watkins, Scott Humphrey, T.J. Maynard, Lance Shoulders, Steve Day, Jeff Porter, Sean McKenzie, Todd Parsley, Mark Watkins, Dave Porter, ...these guys were great but very unslefish. Vanhoose is a very good player and breaking Chris Jones' record will be a great accomplishment but teams just arent the same as they once were. I am not taking away anything from Vanhoose, he has worked hard but the above names outside of Maynard shot well over 50% from the field, Parsley and R.Watkins in the low to Mid 60's. If Vanhoose would have played for Meredith, he would have shared the wealth, and he does pass the ball NOW. I wish there was a way to have time travel and see different players from different eras compete, like a shoot out with Harold Sargent, Mickey Syndstricker, Steve Skaggs, Jeff Hall, Chuck Cantrell, Clarence Thompson, Ty Barnes and Jon Vanhoose, now that would be great. Keep working hard Vanhoose.

Have to disagree with you on the direction you are going with this.Van Hoose is avg. 14.1 shots a game which is pretty good for someone avg. over 21 ppg.He has 317 points on 212 shots which comes out to 1.5(rounded) points per shot.Most coaches will tell you that anything over 1.20 is good.All the players you have mentioned were tremendous and would do well today as would the players that are playing today do well in yesteryear.I also played back "in the day" and have watched a great deal of ball over the years.The game today is much more physical,better coached,better scouted and the teams work much harder in the off season than they have in the past.Before you jump all over me remember the players you mentioned were all exceptional and encompass more than a 25 year period(1961-late 1980s) so yes it would be difficult to compare the 2006-2007 teams to that elite group.Getting back to Vanhoose the only two criticisms I have heard in regard to him is:1)Free throw shooting 2)He does NOT SHOOT ENOUGH.

I believe the parting gift is a forehead tattoo.

Not to be one to split hairs, but I believe the forehead tattoo was a "PRE-PRE-parting " gift :laugh:

The PRE-parting gift would then be a WARNING

AND finally, the Parting gift would be a lifetime membership in the MAROON MAFIA, who I have been told banned the mention of Bluegrass Preps and

now makes board members swear off any association with such!!:scared:

.Getting back to Vanhoose the only two criticisms I have heard in regard to him is:1)Free throw shooting 2)He does NOT SHOOT ENOUGH.

Good scouting report AC, but keep in mind VanHoose is getting pretty old

now and doesnt get to the Y as much as he used too, then theres all the broacast work, etc , etc, etc, its just a matter of time before Jon becomes the best shooter in the family:banana:

Have to disagree with you on the direction you are going with this.Van Hoose is avg. 14.1 shots a game which is pretty good for someone avg. over 21 ppg.He has 317 points on 212 shots which comes out to 1.5(rounded) points per shot.Most coaches will tell you that anything over 1.20 is good.All the players you have mentioned were tremendous and would do well today as would the players that are playing today do well in yesteryear.I also played back "in the day" and have watched a great deal of ball over the years.The game today is much more physical,better coached,better scouted and the teams work much harder in the off season than they have in the past.Before you jump all over me remember the players you mentioned were all exceptional and encompass more than a 25 year period(1961-late 1980s) so yes it would be difficult to compare the 2006-2007 teams to that elite group.Getting back to Vanhoose the only two criticisms I have heard in regard to him is:1)Free throw shooting 2)He does NOT SHOOT ENOUGH.

AC, thank you for the stats, I didnt know what his attempts were per game, if he is only getting 14 attempts per game then maybe he should shoot the ball more often but that might depend on the philosophy of the coach and his staff, I do know that Vanhoose works very hard and is deserving of all he gets. You claim that kids and teams work harder today in the off season, where do these workouts take place at? Just curious, at their houses? Their High Schools? You know as well as I know that statement simply is not accurate. You may have a few that work hard...Vanhoose, Barker, Euton, Hall, but overall not teams. Anyway thank you for your stats, you must be on the coaching staff of some team, or just another Scwabb.

AC, thank you for the stats, I didnt know what his attempts were per game, if he is only getting 14 attempts per game then maybe he should shoot the ball more often but that might depend on the philosophy of the coach and his staff, I do know that Vanhoose works very hard and is deserving of all he gets. You claim that kids and teams work harder today in the off season, where do these workouts take place at? Just curious, at their houses? Their High Schools? You know as well as I know that statement simply is not accurate. You may have a few that work hard...Vanhoose, Barker, Euton, Hall, but overall not teams. Anyway thank you for your stats, you must be on the coaching staff of some team, or just another Scwabb.

You make a very valid point.I should have said teams as a group work much harder.When it comes to individuals you are probably right.Very seldom to you see SERIOUS pick up games today.Those that you have mentioned work extremely hard.They need to as they probably realize they don't have the the athleticism that some have.

Not to be one to split hairs, but I believe the forehead tattoo was a "PRE-PRE-parting " gift :laugh:

The PRE-parting gift would then be a WARNING

AND finally, the Parting gift would be a lifetime membership in the MAROON MAFIA, who I have been told banned the mention of Bluegrass Preps and

now makes board members swear off any association with such!!:scared:

Shooter, I have few hairs to split, if I split the ones I have will this give me twice as much? If so I'm in. As for the warning, I can't say that I'm much interested in one of those either. Just make it a promise or a threat and I can deal with it much better. I have been offered two memberships for my winnings and neither is of much interest to me. I am more of a hermit and prefer to be by myself. You did mention the Y in another post, I would be interested in that being a prize.

.Getting back to Vanhoose the only two criticisms I have heard in regard to him is:1)Free throw shooting 2)He does NOT SHOOT ENOUGH.

now and doesnt get to the Y as much as he used too, then theres all the broacast work, etc , etc, etc, its just a matter of time before Jon becomes the best shooter in the family:banana:

Thanks for the compliment shooter.You as much as anyone realize that Jonathan has had to overcome a great deal in regards to the gene pool on his fathers side.He definitely should be commended for this.Just think if he could drive right like his Dad....... He would be UNSTOPPABLE.

When Jonathan was in 8th grade he played on the team that finished 38-0 and won the middle school state championship defeating South Laurel.Other members of that team included Michael Taylor and Jamaal Williams currently of Huntington High,Alex Barker(Fairview)Austin Blair(Russell-held the middle school state tournament scoring record-34-for a couple of years),Austin Robinson (Russell) and Matt Thomas(Ashland MVP of that tournament as a 7th grader).If someone had told you at that time that Jonathan would be leading career scorer for that group you wouldn't have believed it.It is a testament to his hard work that he has developed into an outstanding player.

Thanks for the compliment shooter.You as much as anyone realize that Jonathan has had to overcome a great deal in regards to the gene pool on his fathers side.He definitely should be commended for this.Just think if he could drive right like his Dad....... He would be UNSTOPPABLE.

I dont appreciate the comment about Jonathon's dad, I think Jonathon's dad was one of the greatest hackers of all time, he left many arms scratched and raw as they hobbled their way down the stairs from what they thought was going to be a friendly day at noon ball, If Jonathon works hard enough, after college he can become a hacker as well.

I dont appreciate the comment about Jonathon's dad, I think Jonathon's dad was one of the greatest hackers of all time, he left many arms scratched and raw as they hobbled their way down the stairs from what they thought was going to be a friendly day at noon ball, If Jonathon works hard enough, after college he can become a hacker as well.

Gottarebound-You are just one of many that has suffered from a hack job from Mr.Vanhoose.You won't be the last.