Vanhoose close to breaking career scoring record at RHS

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont appreciate the comment about Jonathon's dad, I think Jonathon's dad was one of the greatest hackers of all time, he left many arms scratched and raw as they hobbled their way down the stairs from what they thought was going to be a friendly day at noon ball, If Jonathon works hard enough, after college he can become a hacker as well.

Gottarebound-You are just one of many that has suffered from a hack job from Mr.Vanhoose.You won't be the last.

You guys sound like old crabby guys that can't really play anymore:p

You can't blame a guy for taking pride in his defense to make the total package with his offensive skills!!!:dancingpa

When Jonathan was in 8th grade he played on the team that finished 38-0 and won the middle school state championship defeating South Laurel.Other members of that team included Michael Taylor and Jamaal Williams currently of Huntington High,Alex Barker(Fairview)Austin Blair(Russell-held the middle school state tournament scoring record-34-for a couple of years),Austin Robinson (Russell) and Matt Thomas(Ashland MVP of that tournament as a 7th grader).If someone had told you at that time that Jonathan would be leading career scorer for that group you wouldn't have believed it.It is a testament to his hard work that he has developed into an outstanding player.

Now that was a SQUAD! Maybe their greatest accomplishment was winning the Beckley YMCA tournament, becoming the first school team in history to win that tournament that was set up for all star/aau teams. In the championship game, they beat a team out of Virginia (who had beaten a Bill Walker led team in the semi's) who had come in third in the YBOA nationals the previous year.

One of the most entertaining teams to watch ever, every player was a guard, no real big man (unless you could call Austin Blair and Matt Thomas "big") but they played the best team ball of any team I've been around plus they obviously, always found a way to win!:thumb:

Thanks for the memory

Vanhoose is a great player, what is his average shot attempts per game? Most of the players who played for Coach Meredith in the 80's did not take much more than 10-13 shots per game, including Chris Jones, Ryan Watkins, Scott Humphrey, T.J. Maynard, Lance Shoulders, Steve Day, Jeff Porter, Sean McKenzie, Todd Parsley, Mark Watkins, Dave Porter, ...these guys were great but very unslefish. Vanhoose is a very good player and breaking Chris Jones' record will be a great accomplishment but teams just arent the same as they once were. I am not taking away anything from Vanhoose, he has worked hard but the above names outside of Maynard shot well over 50% from the field, Parsley and R.Watkins in the low to Mid 60's. If Vanhoose would have played for Meredith, he would have shared the wealth, and he does pass the ball NOW. I wish there was a way to have time travel and see different players from different eras compete, like a shoot out with Harold Sargent, Mickey Syndstricker, Steve Skaggs, Jeff Hall, Chuck Cantrell, Clarence Thompson, Ty Barnes and Jon Vanhoose, now that would be great. Keep working hard Vanhoose.

Is this the Ty Barnes that played at Kentucky Christian in the mid 90's??

A review of Russell's schedule indicates that its next game is Friday night at Russell against Bath County. I sure plan to be in attendance to see Jonathan break the scoring record. I hope many BGPers of all loyalties, as well as Red Devils from the recent and not so recent past, will also attend. It isn't often that we have a chance to see history made and, with the fine and long tradition of Russell and its outstanding list of players from the past, Jonathan's accomplishment will be significant.

Ty has been instrumental in developing a lot of the younger players that want to work in the area. You can find him working all summer with kids like Van Hoose, Alex Barker, Drew Johnson and others whenever they want to work on their game, great guy and role model and he can still beat the kids he is working out with :thumb:

A review of Russell's schedule indicates that its next game is Friday night at Russell against Bath County. I sure plan to be in attendance to see Jonathan break the scoring record. I hope many BGPers of all loyalties, as well as Red Devils from the recent and not so recent past, will also attend. It isn't often that we have a chance to see history made and, with the fine and long tradition of Russell and its outstanding list of players from the past, Jonathan's accomplishment will be significant.

I plan to make it, although I'm hopeful that I can avoid the bizarre incident that ocurred when I entered the Stewart Gymnasium on Monday night...and I'm not making this up.

Ricky P's dad walked over to the ticket table as I was paying for my ticket, welcomed me and shook my hand...and then P's mother, looked up at me and in her sweet voice said..."Hi, Rob...we just love our new TV."

I said, "Sorry, right forehead...wrong Rob.":D

Ty has been instrumental in developing a lot of the younger players that want to work in the area. You can find him working all summer with kids like Van Hoose, Alex Barker, Drew Johnson and others whenever they want to work on their game, great guy and role model and he can still beat the kids he is working out with :thumb:

...and Emily Queen...although I bet the boys don't blush as much as she does when Ty walks into the gym.

Thanks, Ty.

I plan to make it, although I'm hopeful that I can avoid the bizarre incident that ocurred when I entered the Stewart Gymnasium on Monday night...and I'm not making this up.

Ricky P's dad walked over to the ticket table as I was paying for my ticket, welcomed me and shook my hand...and then P's mother, looked up at me and in her sweet voice said..."Hi, Rob...we just love our new TV."

I said, "Sorry, right forehead...wrong Rob.":D

BTW, RickyP, we both had a good laugh.