Girls' 9th Region Tournament Draw

📻 Great options for audio livestreams today.

☝️The @HolyCrossRadio team featuring our own BGP'r

@Baseball Nut 24

Their link for Holy Cross vs. Dixie Heights can be found below ~

🏹 blueframetech.com/holycross

👇 Our friends at @859Radio with the squad headed by BGP's

@859Radio

Link to all four of today's first round games covered by them, here ~

859sportsradio.com 

@NDA_athletics vs. St. Henry livestream link below per

@1992Rebel

🐼 ndapandas.mixlr.com

Screenshot_20230226-123055__01.jpg

Screenshot_20230226-121430__01.jpg

Screenshot_20230226-124714__01.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Friday Night's semi-finals are set in the 9th Region at Truist Arena on the campus of NKU.

6:30 PM -- Cooper (33rd Champ) vs Notre Dame (35th Champ).  Cooper won the regular season match-up by a score of 56-35, in Union.  I expect Cooper to get the win again, in another low-scoring affair, but I think it will be closer than the 21 point margin from the first game.  Cooper is a well-oiled machine, they have plenty of pieces, and great experience from winning the 9th last year and advancing to Rupp.  Their 5 starters have played a LOT the last 3 years, so not much will surprise them, and Kay Friehofer and Whitney Lind provide great leadership to the rest of the team.  NDA saw Rose Miller step up big in their win over St. Henry, and they have the D1 signee in Noelle Hubert to follow, and then a crop of great sophomores in Maya Lawrie, Sophia Gibson, and Georgie Kirtley.  Both teams play a lot of subs, and will generate bench points with Noel (Cooper) and Collins (NDA) to support the starting 5.  Two of the finest coaches in the area, as well, leading their charges into battle on Friday night.  Prediction:  Cooper 58, Notre Dame 46.

8:00 PM -- Holy Cross (35th Runner-Up) vs Ryle (33rd Runner-Up).  These teams didn't play in the regular season, having to scratch the first game after the All A Championship game to keep Holy Cross under the game-limit.  You have a really interesting dichotomy in this one, and how each team leans into their strengths will likely determine who advances.  In Ryle you have 4 elite high school basketball players, they have been together for years, and are coached by a leader who has led many teams to Rupp and has won a state title.  They have a freshman in Jones who has come on, and can certainly make threes if left unattended, but there is certainly not much depth behind Baker, Eubank, Holtman, and Johnson.  They have leaned on Quinn a LOT over the last few weeks, and she is asked to not only get them into their stuff, but also to attack to finish and to kick, and then often times guard an opponent's 4 or 5 where she is often giving up a lot of size.  Baker has played well and is attacking the basket with more frequency from the elbow or the baseline, and Holtman, as we all know, is a walking bucket if not accounted for on every possession.  Johnson isn't a volume scorer, but does some of everything, and will likely guard Aleah Arlinghaus, trying to cut the head off of HC's offense before they can start feeding the posts from every angle.  Holy Cross has an outstanding coach, but one earlier in his tenure, and they have 9 or 10 players that will be called upon during the game.  They have two fantastic scorers around the basket, an uber-attcking wing in Wimzie, a few shooters that will rotate through (namely Hayes, Bottom, and McCoy), and the aforementioned floor general in Arlinghaus.  If Ryle has wind and their legs into the 4th quarter, HC could have some troubles, but if they can wear down Eubank, tire out Baker having to defend at one time or another Hunt and Lewis, and Holtman doesn't get on a heater, I think HC will be positioned to win a VERY close one late.  I'll take the first one to 50 wins approach, and go with Holy Cross 51, Ryle 47.  If Eubank can stay fresh, and Holtman gets on one, Ryle is certainly capable of using their experience to win this, but I think it is more choppy, they'll keep Holtman somewhat under-wraps (<15), and the Indians hang on for what should be an exciting win in front of a huge crowd.

Going to be two GREAT games on Friday night, 3 of the top 9 teams in KY and a Notre Dame team that has been there, has done that, is playing their best ball of the sesaon, and will likely start the 2023 season as the team to beat (along with Cooper) in the 9th.

Enjoy it!!!

• Like 2

I think HC needs to go to their bench more.  In the past few games they have really only played 7 with one of those being an 8th grader still gaining experience.  Their three point sharp shooters in Bottom and McCoy played very little against Dixie or the district championship game against NDA. IMO they need to use the depth they have been using all year to keep everyone's legs fresh and up the intensity on defense.  This game is hard to predict.  It could go alot of ways.  It should be a close one.

• Like 1

It's hard to continue to play 9-10 deep in the post season. I think a solid 7-8 is just right in most games/matchups. If coach Arlinghaus wants more offense he will use McCoy & Bottom more. If he is leaning more defense those two probably won't see as many minutes. Just the way he has been playing it and it has been working. I think this game comes down to the "post players" for Holy Cross. If Lewis & Hunt stay out of foul trouble I think HC has a great chance of winning. If not, I give the edge to Ryle. Should be a good one.

Holy Cross Radio will be there to cover the game live if you can't make it to the arena in person.

http://vcloud.blueframetech.com/holycross/widget?I'd=145

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Double Deuce said:

I try to never presume to tell any coach what they should be doing, or not doing, but I love when others do that to stimulate conversation.  Great post, @rjal

It wasn't worded well.  Not trying to tell any coach what to do.  That was just the formula that won the All A and many games throughout the season.  And while I'm a HC fan I have no dog in that fight just observation. Spreading the floor with multiple threats seemed to open up the paint a little more. They will need every tool they have to beat Ryle.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Baseball Nut 24 said:

I think I've seen or called all but maybe 3 games this year for our girls.

That is certainly way more HC games than I've seen, but I try to talk to as many people in those circles as I can while maintaining my anonymity.  Coaches clam up a lot more when they know it will end up in one "of The Double Deuce's posts".  🤣