Basketball is still King of the Bluegrass, Football Format announced:

theguru

There will be 3 games on Friday December the 7th and 3 games on Saturday December the 8th.

The KHSAA missed a huge opportunity to give football equal "time" with basketball. The KHSAA could have gone with the 2, 2, and 2 format which would give football the opportunity to reach event status like the Sweet 16 but failed to do so.

In summary, the KY Association of Superintendents did not want to afford a second school day to make the football finals an event. It is funny how basketball is entitled to 12 school days but football is only allowed to have 1. Talk about hyprocrisy...

Also, the football coaches were no help either. All they care about is their clinic on Thursday and how much money they are going to bring in and to heck with event status for the finals if it gets in the way of their own event.

One of the funny things about the school Supers and the coaches is the Supers said the coaches (thus teachers) being out of school on Thursday was an issue but they are out of school already because of the clinic. In the future, everyone needs to do a better job of getting their story straight when they are protecting their turf (basketball for the Supers and the clinic for the coaches).

None of this is the end of the world, just a missed opportunity because of several agendas. I still hold out hope that sometime in the future the powers that be can think of more than just their self interests when planning the football finals.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad situation. They apparently do not understand, the mob wants football, they should give it to them. How often do people beg you to let them spend their money at your event, and you refuse. The public has an interest in basketball, but the tide has switched to where a large amount of the public want to make football a major event (and some parts of the state football is far more popular than basketball).

As been proven in another thread, many more hs football players have made it to the NFL, than basketball players have to the NBA, MLB, or any other professional sport. HS football should be embraced in the state of KY. It has sent many young men to college and given many young men a profession - whether playing or coaching. The state should step up and embrace football.

Guru

While I would love to see this I have to wonder if it would be possible logistically. The parking lots around PJCS are used by U of L students. Closing them off for more then one day could be problematic.

I have heard lots of excuses but I have not heard that one yet. Either way, sometimes you just have to adapt and overcome.

Guru

While I would love to see this I have to wonder if it would be possible logistically. The parking lots around PJCS are used by U of L students. Closing them off for more then one day could be problematic.

What do you think they do about the students that park at the stadium at UK during football season? They tell them they have to move their car the day before the game.

Guru

Parking for the Sweet 16 is no easy task, but Rupp Areana is full.

Has the format for the Friday and Saturday games been set?

IE) Friday A, AA and AAA

Saturday 4A, 5A and 6A

What about times.... I know, long way off , just wondering...

Thanks

Since the KHSAA is so concerned about gas mileage and school missed, I'm sure the 6-A game will be Friday around 3:00.:cool:

For the record I would love to see a Thursday, Friday, Saturday championship week. I know that when I went to UofL 900 years ago parking was a nightmare. With increased enrollment and many additional buildings I'm sure it's worse now. I'm just putting forth one logistical problem that could be a factor in not doing this.

Are you kidding me? We, as hs football fanatics, read this news and we get stuck of parking problems. We (I am) should be outraged that the KHSAA is taking the Football State Championship and cramming six championship games into two days, and not seizing the opportunity to make this the large event that it should be.

One thing I would like to see, is if they expect people to hang around for three games in mid December, I would love to see large heated tents in the parking lot that you could hang out in between games. Maybe have vendors like a Starbucks and some great local food in them.

^ You mean you want it to be organized and a first class event??? Im sure the KHSAA feels that the 20 concession stand workers is plenty to handle the crowd and provide concessions to all...... It has been a joke for the past 30 years, this would seem as an excellent opportunity to change the issue you raise. Question: Was it a KHSAA objective to improve the Football Championship weekend or give more kids the opportunity to play in the Championship game.....?