Tennessee to allow High School NIL

Jumper_Dad

Student-athletes statewide can immediately begin receiving payment for instructional services (i.e. lessons) as well as for activities not related to performance, provided they are carried out in a manner that does not suggest the endorsement or sponsorship of their school.

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2022/dec/08/tssaa-to-allow-high-school-athletes-to-be-paid/#/questions/

As all things of good intentions, I'll predict right now this is going to be a mess. If you think high school recruiting is an issue now, it's about to explode in Tennessee. >>edit<< Maybe this is all to do about nothing and I'm getting out over my skis calling this a mess.

Student-athletes can not wear school uniforms or use the school name in any way in endorsements. They will be allowed to give instruction (lessons),  endorse businesses and or sell their image (shirts/posters) and be compensated.

15 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Doesn’t Kentucky already allow this? Wasn’t Reed Shepherd running his own basketball camp back in the fall for eastern Kentucky?

I thought he was running a camp either for free or with proceeds going to charity...but I may be wrong.

If NIL is allowed here I would have thought we would have seen and heard more about it. That said, there are no rules against kids having a job...so maybe the Tennessee thing is a non-story.

17 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I thought he was running a camp either for free or with proceeds going to charity...but I may be wrong.

If NIL is allowed here I would have thought we would have seen and heard more about it. That said, there are no rules against kids having a job...so maybe the Tennessee thing is a non-story.

You may be right on that. I think I've gotten it mixed up.