Ever been a KY High School team that could have beaten present Huntington, WV High?

Can anyone name a True, Hometown team (no recruits), that you feel could beat this year's Huntington High School team in WV. Every player on the HHS team grew up and played ball in Huntington WV. Name any school of any year.

I was just sitting thinking about this and would like some opinions.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Highlands team that lost in the state finals would have had a shot at them. There style of ball control and physical play would have presented some problems. Also the match up zone they played would have slowed the Highlanders down some. Not to say they would have been a lock to win but they would have had a shot.

Can anyone name a True, Hometown team (no recruits), that you feel could beat this year's Huntington High School team in WV. Every player on the HHS team grew up and played ball in Huntington WV. Name any school of any year.

Not trying to start a firestorm, but being completely honest, saying that OJ Mayo "grew up" in Huntington is a stretch. He has spent more time out of the city than he has in it, and speaking from the standpoint of where he has played his games as a high schooler, it isn't even open to debate.

Frances

Some of the teams in the 90's, Paintsville in 1996 or 1997, Lex Cath., UHA. From 00's Ballard, E-town.

I think almost anyone that has won a state title since 1990 could play with or maybe beat them on any given night

We will never know the true answer, but the Ballard team from the mid to late 70's with Lamp, Raker and Evans would have been a good matchup with them.

The 95 Paintsville team was pretty daggone solid too. That would have been a good game.

Frances

That Paintsville team was awfully tough, probabily one of the best teams to ever come out of KY...IMO

From your other post is he KY boy or WV or OH ???? could be tri-state ......

Not trying to start a firestorm, but being completely honest, saying that OJ Mayo "grew up" in Huntington is a stretch. He has spent more time out of the city than he has in it, and speaking from the standpoint of where he has played his games as a high schooler, it isn't even open to debate.

Frances

You present a legitimate question unless we are to assume that Burlington, Ohio is a subdivision in Huntington, West Virginia.

That Paintsville team was awfully tough, probabily one of the best teams to ever come out of KY...IMO

We all admired that Paintsville team but, on its best night, it couldn't come within 20 points of this HHS team. HHS would run them into the ground. Too slow inside. Actually, the same can be said of the 1961 Ashland team although I believe most would say that it was certainly superior to the Paintsville team.

I think almost anyone that has won a state title since 1990 could play with or maybe beat them on any given night

Ditto...I would hve liked to see Dicky Beal, Shloemer and the boys from the 1990 Holmes state runer up team take on this squad. The 90 team w/ Wimzie, Hayes, and Pouncy were very athletic and would have presented some match up problems for HHS...especially with Wimzie's physical presence down low.